Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need wheel advice
Quote | Reply
I bought aero wheels last year for the 1st time: HED Jet 6 Plus. After a year of riding, I feel unsteady in wind and top heavy on turns. I'm small (140 lbs). Any advice for lightweight wheels that don't make me feel unsteady?

PS: Anyone want to buy a lightly used HED Jet 6 Plus wheel set?
Quote Reply
Re: Need wheel advice [FedeleTemperini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you sure it’s the wheels? I weigh a little less than you and usually run Jet 6+ on my Trek Speed Concept. Unless there’s a crazy cross wind, I don’t have any problems with handling.

If you have another set of shallow depth wheels, I would try those first before abandoning the Jet 6’s.

I’m not quite sure what you mean by “top heavy” in turns, but that sounds like a bike geometry or setup issue, not the wheels. I’m assuming this is a tribike. Are you referring to turning while on the base bars or in aero? Provide more info and I’m sure others will give good feedback.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of bike do you have, and how often do you ride outside with the wheels on?

I have a set of Jet 9/disc that are my everyday wheels. So, any time I am outside, they are on the bike and I am practicing with them. I have no concerns with wind, granted I am much heavier and I have a Felt IA, which is designed to stay rock steady in a crosswind. But, a big part deep wheel stability them is just familiarity.
Quote Reply
Re: Need wheel advice [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bike is a QR Kilo. 25mm tires. Turns in the aero position feel a little wobbly. Rides and tuns on my Orbea Ordu M30 with stock wheels and 23mm tires feel smoother and more stable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’re comparing two different bikes, each on different wheels. You can’t assume the wheels are the source of what you feel, and in fact I highly doubt that’s the case. Swap the wheels and then compare. I bet you’re just feeling inherent differences between the two bikes.

Some tri bikes track very straight, which is good for maintaining your line, but don’t turn very well. Other tri bikes are sharp handlers and turn well, but they’re harder to hold in a straight line.
Quote Reply