Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need some mechanical help, please
Quote | Reply
I've been having a drivetrain issue with a new bike. Whenever I'm in the small ring and apply some decent power to the pedals, the chain drops. Here's the setup:

SRAM eTap (long RD)
Rotor 2inPower crankset (direct mount) w/ standard Q-Rings
Premier optimized chain
Ultegra cassette

I've heard that eTap doesn't always play nicely with non-SRAM rings, but I'm experiencing flawless shifting and no spacing issues with the Q-Rings and the FD. The chain simply won't stay on the small ring under power.

My mechanic is looking at it now, but do you guys have any suggestions? I'm not married to the Q-Rings, but I'd love to be able to fix this without replacing stuff if possible.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Need some mechanical help, please [STJ_2028] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only time I had chain drop issues was when I replaced my chain and mistakenly put it on backwards. I realized that's what I probably done after I had already taken it in to the LBS. They confirmed that was the problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have eTap with Q rings on my road bike with no issues what so ever. The derailleur shouldn't even be hitting the chain I imagine so it's either the ring or the chain. I can only assume you are using new rings and chain. If the rings were older and overly worn it could be an issue as happened to a mate of mine with a new chain older round rings at IM Frankfurt sending him to the deck. Being a brand new chain with too much grease, wax or whatever on it can cause issues too. With a cloth wrapped around the chain, spin the cranks and clean off all the excess lube for a good long period and try again. If the rings are new I would try a different chain first as a process of elimination. If you have a quick link try eliminating that too.
Quote Reply
Re: Need some mechanical help, please [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
I have eTap with Q rings on my road bike with no issues what so ever. The derailleur shouldn't even be hitting the chain I imagine so it's either the ring or the chain. I can only assume you are using new rings and chain. If the rings were older and overly worn it could be an issue as happened to a mate of mine with a new chain older round rings at IM Frankfurt sending him to the deck. Being a brand new chain with too much grease, wax or whatever on it can cause issues too. With a cloth wrapped around the chain, spin the cranks and clean off all the excess lube for a good long period and try again. If the rings are new I would try a different chain first as a process of elimination. If you have a quick link try eliminating that too.

What kind of chain and cassette are you using?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I generally run the Sram 1170 cassettes on training wheels and 1190 on my race wheels but I have never had an issue running a Shimano cassette. I always run Shimano Dura Ace 9000 chains.
Quote Reply