Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need some help with my F.I.S.T. fitting
Quote | Reply
Hello Slowtwitch, long time lurker, first time poster.

After a handful of tris, with more lined up for the summer and fall, I am thinking about taking the plunge into a tri bike. Went to my F.I.S.T. fitting yesterday and while I do not doubt the fitter's measurements, nor how I felt in all the various positions, I am still surprised at the end result and need some added input.

At 6'2" with long legs and a 6'4"+ wingspan I was sure that I would end up on the narrow/tall side of things, instead of the long/low.

Measurements:
Stack: 53.0
Reach: 44
Cockpit: 78.5
Saddle Height: 74.3
Saddle Plumb: 6
Aerobar: 37
Armrest drop: -8.5

Seat Angle: 81
Should Angle: 82
Hip Angle: 105
Knee Angle 143

Stem: 90
Crank: 172.5

Questions that arise:

1. Is 81 degrees really a feasible position, is this something people ride with frequency, and is there any negatives or positives in terms of steering, handling, climbing etc. that come with this position?

2. How much of a concern is body adaptation. As time marches on, fitness goes up, positioning might become more aggressive, changes is saddles, bars etc. Can you push yourself out of your fitting (if that makes sense)?

3. Going off stack and reach alone I am dead on for a 58 Cervelo P3, but with the seat angle is that still true?

I trust the measurements, and I trust that out of every position and seat angle, the final numbers were the most comfortable, gave me the smoothest cadence, and even power output. But it is still based on a few hours spend riding a mechanical contraption, in an unfamiliar position. I just have a fear of spending a nice chunk of change, the time and effort to get this all set up, then getting out in the real world and having an "oh crap" moment.

Funny enough, none of the bikes the fitter sold matched up with me, but my road bike is a Cervelo S1. . .huh

Thanks

Quote Reply
Re: Need some help with my F.I.S.T. fitting [(vi - vf)/t] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, with the forward seatpost position and the seat slid a bit forward on the rails you can get to 81 degrees.

don't be afraid, bikes are adjustable. you can make it lower, higher, longer, shorter with simple stem/spacer changes.

the fit should get you enough in the ballpark to make sure you don't totally screw up frame selection. you can refine it over time with stems/spacers.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A 6'4 wingspan with a 8.5cm drop does not seem like a lot. Doesn't a 143 knee angle fall outside of FIST protocol?

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
143, I was told it was within range. Initially I had a 175 crank and I felt a little too high, so we changed to a 172.5 and dropped down a little, which might have cramped the knee angle.

As far as the -8.5 arm rest drop, is that too small? If i went deeper would it close my hip angle a bit as I am right at the outside limit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With knee angle it can depend on how its measured. Was it goniometer or motion capture with markers? I wouldnt be concerned about the seat angle, you should be able to achieve that on the P3. IMO its all about hitting the right hip angle for being able to sustain power and a drop that you can train yourself to maintain for the duration of your event. Nothing is ever set in stone either, you can experiment by slowly dropping the front end over a period of time to see what you can handle and if it produces any speed gains. FIST dictates that most athletes will choose a certain range of angles, but there are always outliers who will fall outside of the norm.

Kevin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was with a goniometer.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what aerobars were used in your fitting?
how much stack is made up with spacers in order for that stack/reach to hold true.

The best person to ask these questions to is your fitter ;)

Jonathan Blyer,
ACME Bicycle Co., Brooklyn, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is your inseam?

I am tall and narrow at 6'2" and my inseam is somewhere between 35.5 and 36 inches depending how much pain I inflict upon myself while measuring. I am 56.5 / 43 on the stack and reach.

Inseam is 34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In no particular order,

143deg is basically a perfect knee angle. What surprises me is that your knee angle is 143 with a seat height of 74.3. But then I check your cockpit length - 78.5. What EVERYTHING is conspiring to tell me is that you have a REALLY short inseam. That's also why your bar drop is so minimal. I think you could run more drop, as evidenced both by the drop in mm and also the hip angle of 105, which is the absolute UPPER end of the hip angle range.

My guess? You don't really like the saddle you were on.

You actually have SHORT legs. REALLY short for your height. It's relative. You are built, basically, like Michael Phelps.

81 is a fine seat angle. Though again, as it's at the steeper end of things, I suspect that maybe you just don't like the saddle.

The other question, and you don't have to answer this, is that often guys who want to ride steep and STILL end up with a very open hip angle do it because they are, uhm, "heavy set." In other words, to be blunt, do you have a gut? If so, that's going to affect your fit. A lot.

But, all the numbers match up. But I'm not 100% sure you were happy on that saddle... But otherwise, everything looks "normal." You just have a VERY long torso.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Need some help with my F.I.S.T. fitting [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could you expand on the not liking the saddle part as it relates to seat angles?

As for the legs, guess I always figure they were on the long side of things, but considering some folks at my height have 36" inseams, that's a pretty big difference.

quid pro quo clarice- in terms of the "gut", I am 215, so there is some extra baggage there. I do think it affects the ability to get a little lower, that is probably a bigger limiter then flexibility.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flexibility is rarely, IME, a limiter. "Baggage" on the other hand is often a major limiter.

As far as saddle and seat angle, it's just sort of experience. When someone ends up riding quite steep - 81deg is steep, though not abnormally so - and with a very open hip angle, what that OFTEN means is that the person is sitting BACK on the saddle. In other words, the saddle is at 81deg, but your hips are at 77deg. This being the opposite of a UCI-encumbered TT rider, who has a saddle at 75deg but sits at 79deg.

Generally speaking, though, when I see 105deg of hip angle, I think the saddle is probably wrong. When I see 105deg of hip angle at 81deg of STA, I am almost certain it is.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Need some help with my F.I.S.T. fitting [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback.

Well, first day here and I have already established myself as a heavy set, stumpy legged, knuckle dragger. . .sweet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(vi - vf)/t wrote:
Thanks for the feedback.

Well, first day here and I have already established myself as a heavy set, stumpy legged, knuckle dragger. . .sweet.

Hey I'd take it from Rappstar---nothing like getting THE answers from one of the main FIST guys and a TOP pro!!!!
Quote Reply