Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need recommendation for a set of rims (and possibly a wheelbuilder in Boston Area)
Quote | Reply
I want to get a new 700c wheelset for an old caliper-brake cross bike. I plan to put 38 mm tires on these wheels. I'm looking to start using it more for gravel-type riding and the 32s I have on my other wheels just don't cut it.

Ideally I'd like to have someone build the wheels and use the old Powertap G3 hub that I'm not using but I can live with just regular wheels or even off the shelf.

So I'm hoping someone can make me a recommendation for two things:

1. In the very least, a set of off-the-shelf wheels that I could buy with the appropriate internal rim width appropriate for 38mm tires. Not 17-19 mm but (and I'm guessing here so educate me) something like 22-26 mm, yes? I already have other wheels for thinner tires so this wheelset will never need to take smaller ones.

2. Ideally the name of a good wheelbuilder in the Boston MA, USA area that I could talk to about building a set with the Powertap. I've been to most of the local shops over the years but have no idea who is skilled at wheelbuilding and who is... average.

(I realize I could contact Wheelbuilder.com and other online places but if I can keep this local, I will)
Last edited by: JoeO: Oct 29, 20 12:52
Quote Reply
Re: Need recommendation for a set of rims (and possibly a wheelbuilder in Boston Area) [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gravel rims seem to be converging on a 25mm internal width, but the problem is that I don’t know how many rim brake rims you’ll find with that width. Also, we used to run CX tires on pencil thin rims and nobody died, right?

The Velocity Quill is 21mm internal. I think the Hed Belgium+ is as well. I don’t think you’ll have any issues mounting 38mm tires on those.
Quote Reply
Re: Need recommendation for a set of rims (and possibly a wheelbuilder in Boston Area) [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d go with FastSplits, they’ll do a good job for you.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Need recommendation for a set of rims (and possibly a wheelbuilder in Boston Area) [weiwentg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's right. Ran Open Pros for a couple of years before tubeless became a thing. They were fine but you did get rattled around a bit because of the higher pressures.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bunch of my friends have had wheels built by Dave Letourneau at Rockland Cycles and they all have great things to say about him and the wheel quality.
Quote Reply