Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Need information on crash - FLIM
Quote | Reply
I was riding along just fine on Saturday, minding my own business and having a good race when a guy passed me with only inches between us despite having a whole road available. He then did the same to a woman ahead of me but he veered slightly and clipped her handle bars with his. She went down right in front of me and I had no place to go but over her.

The accident occurred between mile 40 and 45 on Rt 388. I am guessing it was around a clock time of around 4 hours give or take. I went down and dislocated my shoulder and bruised my ribs among other things. I was not able to finish the race. The woman that originally went down offered to stay with me until the ambulance came. I asked her to continue riding if she could. I am told she finished the race. I hope she is OK and did well despite the fall. The guy who caused the accident did not stop or check on either of us.

I am hoping somebody saw the accident and can provide me with information. An update woman who crashed would be nice. I assume she is OK but I would feel better with a confirmation. I would also like a number for the guy who caused the accident. IM officials are interested in knowing who it was that caused the accident. His riding was reckless and his behavior was unsportsman-like. I trained hard and long and was having a good day when his actions put an abrupt and painful end to my attempt to finish my first full distance race. His lack of concern added insult to the injury.

If anyone has any useful information and is willing to share it, I would be very grateful.

Thanks and I will see you in 2012.
Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Need information on crash - FLIM [sprichter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you check the race photos? Last year alot of the photos were taken in turns so they were a little easier to see.
Quote Reply
Re: Need information on crash - FLIM [LSUfan4444] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This occurred on a straight piece of road
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is horrible. I didn't see a crash but was passed early on in very similar fashion by a guy wearing a dark or royal blue kit. I'd say there was less than 4" between our bars when he passed while he had all the room in the world for a safer pass. I remember yelling out "are you f'ing kidding me?" to the guy or something similar. I'm sorry this guy ended your day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry about this happening to you! It's one of my pet peeves in races! Hot rod ass hats that have TONS of room to pass you, but think it's okay to leave a couple of inches of clearance as they zoom by you, as if to put emphasis on how fast they are and how slow you are, and not considering that the rider they are passing just might make a little swerve to avoid debris or whatever. If you have the room, use it when you pass dickheads!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sprichter wrote:
This occurred on a straight piece of road

What LSUFan meant was for you to check the race photos to see if you recognize this guy from the pictures. It would be all the more helpful if you found a photo of the woman (since she stuck with you for some time) and then contact her so you could both check for a photo of the man who hit her.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Re: Need information on crash - FLIM [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all so far for the replies. I did not really see his face and given the level of pain I was in (and the fact that i was seeing red and cursing up a storm) I don't remember what she looked like.

Again, thanks for your thoughts and ideas.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is terrible. i am so sorry.
thinking of you and wishing you a quick recovery. vindication will be yours next year.

http://www.hooslisa.com
Quote Reply
Re: Need information on crash - FLIM [hooslisa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear you crashed and hope the unsportsmanlike like guy is caught.

Quote | Reply
Can you remember the age group?
Quote Reply
Re: Need information on crash - FLIM [TriBeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately not. I was focused on the biker coming at me on the ground. Oh, yeah, I was moving towards her!

Everything was pretty much a blur given how fast it happened.

Sorry, I am asking for help and can't provide many details.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heal quickly!

Hope FLIM keeps a slot open for you next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey, is this your woman, maybe?

i had read your original post and then just saw this today on my local bike shops FB page. seemed pretty coincidental.
http://www.facebook.com/...p;type=3&theater

Last edited by: hooslisa: Nov 15, 11 8:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I was not able to connect using the FB link. Can you tell me what the bike shop is so I can look them up on FB?

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi All in this Tread: I am the woman you were looking for--# 647. I take it the fellow who dislocated his shoulder was 2211? I was okay after the crash compared to you. I find your discription of what happened enlightening since all I really recall was riding to the right (because although I can swim (1:09 that day), I am slower on the bike and I anticipate a lot of passing). I remember I was in my aerobars going about 19 MPH when I saw handlebars hitting mine on the left. I had assumed 2211 was in the middle of a pass, next to me, and that is was he who was clipped by the hotshot on the outside. I wasn't hurt badly in the crash. I assumed I had fallen on you and that you took the brunt of the weight of the fall...causing your dislocation. I cracked my helmet and had a big goose egg on my left forhead. I hit my chin and still have a bump, and I had some nasty skin loss on my left knee and left elbow with some road rash. I kept going after I left you and I though I saw you on the run with a sling. Was that you? Way to be Iron, man! I am hoping you finished. I did not see the guy who hit me--or caused the wreck, and I do remember some colorful language and my alarm at your obvious pain. I hope you are feeling better and it was nice to ask about me. At 53, I don't have a lot more of these races in me, and for those who like to show their prowess by the close passes at breakneck speeds, well, all I can say is karma will have its way with you sooner or later. BTW, I was checked out at T2 and at the end of the race for concussion. The medical people were great, but there were none I could see on the bike course. I think we went down at mile 30 about 2 hours in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I reread your note and see that you did not finish. I am so sorry you were hurt. It was such a long road to get to IM, and failing to finish because of the thoughtless actions of a bad sport is galling. I can't believe I suggested to you that you might pop your arm back into socket. My Dad reminded me that his had been popping out for years when I saw him perform that maneuver. Jeese!
Quote Reply
Re: Need information on crash - FLIM [Mauer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mauer,

Great to hear from you and glad to hear that you finished despite your injuries. I had a clear view of your bars getting clipped and my injuries were caused by "sudden deceleration syndrome" - me hitting the pavement very hard and the wrong way. I wish I could say I was strong enough to finish but it was not in the cards that day. I will be back for another try in 2012.

You are truly an Ironman for getting up and finishing. Be proud.

Thanks for responding.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the bike shop is spokes, etc....but i also posted a link on the FB story (under my husbands screen name) to this slowtwitch post telling her that you were looking for her.

mauer are you the same person i saw in the spokes pic?

i'm so impressed by your finish. an ironman is tough enough, throw in a bike accident, and, well, that's just crazy.

you both should be really proud.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since I had some time to kill I tore through all the race reports I could find. I believe this person may have the information (bib# of the culprit) you are looking for. Scroll down a bit in his blog and he mentions a crash that sounds a whole lot like what you described.

http://my140point6milejourney.blogspot.com/...ort-part-2-bike.html
Quote Reply
Re: Need information on crash - FLIM [przeor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump for fantastic sleuthing.

This is really horrible sportsmanship. Isn't this bordering on illegal - leaving the site of an accident?

I hope this guy gets banned from future IM races.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

This is my accident. My computer was reading 45 miles but I had to turn it off in the ambulance so I know it happened between 40 and 45. I remember thinking, "only 15 miles to special needs".

I posted a comment on the blog and hope to hear from KC

Thanks to everyone who has reached out with support and suggestions. I will let you all know if I hear from KC and if the race director decides to do anything with the info.

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Need information on crash - FLIM [mike@wahoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This guys definitely knows who caused the accident. If you want to report the take out artist I'd contact this blogger.

http://my140point6milejourney.blogspot.com/...ort-part-2-bike.html
Last edited by: rowell122: Nov 15, 11 12:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know this blogger and just sent a PM to Sprichter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Again sorry to hear about your crash and the circumstances surrounding it. It always amazes me how the good peeps of ST can find out anything that goes on. Just look at finman!! Best thing for this guy to do would be to pm you as it is only a matter of time he is outer publicly and can save himself a lot of public embarrassment. I am sure he at least reads ST.

Prev Next