Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need bolt advice
Quote | Reply
I need some help buying bolts for my aerobars, from someone smarter than me who understands metals’ strengths.

I know that I need 75mm M6 button head bolts, but the advice I need is on the material. Looking online (McMaster) I see different varieties of stainless steel, steel alloy, and titanium.

Although I’d love the weight savings of titanium, I feel like with a bolt this long, it is too much a risk to stress a ti bolt. So, most importantly, I want a bolt that is corrosive resistant and strong.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Need bolt advice [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would recommend 316 SS. If this is a fastener that you will adjust often (adjust fit, breaking bike down for travel), I would avoid titanium. Titanium is great for corrosion resistant but it’s a really soft metal. You will round it off pretty quickly.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Need bolt advice [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would go to Home Depot to see if they have some in stainless steel.

Next I would check on eBay.
Quote Reply
Re: Need bolt advice [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Yes for the often adjusted part, as these are used to go though my pedestal spacers.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Need bolt advice [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can, get 316/316L SS bolt - the 'lower' SS grades like 304 are subject to cracking in saline environments (read: Sweat) under ambient conditions.

I've had a 304 seat bolt snap after a couple of years of use, no big drama, but a snapped aerobar bolt may present a signifacantly higher risk of crashing.
Quote Reply