Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Need a target 70.3 race for early next year
Quote | Reply
Hey guys, I am looking for a 70.3 to do early next year and since I am still pretty new to racing I was oblivious to the fact that Oceanside sells out in a heartbeat. I am on the east coast and figured this would be a nice little escape from the winter cold. I also didn't realize that Miami 70.3 is no longer running so this is quite a bummer also. Does anybody know of any other races (Ironman branded or not) that are happening in the early months of 2020?

Thanks!!
Last edited by: rbd32: Sep 16, 19 7:33
Quote Reply
Re: Need a target 70.3 race for early next year [rbd32] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbd32 wrote:
Hey guys, I am looking for a 70.3 to do early next year and since I am still pretty new to racing I was oblivious to the fact that Oceanside sells out in a heartbeat. I am on the east coast and figured this would be a great escape from the winter cold. I also didn't realize that Miami 70.3 is no longer running so this is quite a bummer also. Does anybody know of any other races (Ironman branded or not) that are happening in the early months of 2020?

Thanks!!

Texas 70.3 in Galveston is good race in April. 70.3 Florida (Haines City) is also around that time of year but it's not as great of a location.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Off the top of my head there is 70.3 Texas on April 5 and Challenge Cancun (half distance) on April 26th.

Looks like there is also a 70.3 in Puerto Rico in March. Flights there are crazy cheap right now so that could be an option if you're feeling it!

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
St. George is relatively early, a uniquely awesome destination and an amazing course.

Edit: scratch that. The 70.3 rotates with the 140.6 beginning 2020.

Scott
Last edited by: GreatScott: Sep 16, 19 7:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mar 15 - Puerto Rico
Mar 15 - Campeche
Apr 5 - Galveston
Apr 19 - Haines City, FL
May 3 - Monterrey, MX
May 9 - Santa Rosa
May 9 - Panama City Beach
Quote Reply
Re: Need a target 70.3 race for early next year [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No St George half next year, just the full
Quote Reply
Re: Need a target 70.3 race for early next year [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
St. George is relatively early, a uniquely awesome destination and an amazing course.

Scott

My understanding is that there is no 70.3 in St George in 2020, with the full happening instead. Then in 2021 the 70.3 in StG is designated the WC, so unless they run two races there that year I suspect there won't be a "normal" 70.3 there until 2022

(I could be wrong on this)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rbd32 wrote:
I am looking for a 70.3 to do early next year......I am on the east coast.....Does anybody know of any other races (Ironman branded or not) that are happening in the early months of 2020?

White Lake Half by Set Up Events happens in late April every year. Not going to be the spectacle that is IM 70.3 but solid production nonetheless. I have done the race 6 times.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HITS half in Napa Valley on April 11.
Quote Reply
Re: Need a target 70.3 race for early next year [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
Texas 70.3 in Galveston is good race in April.

I've done Galveston 3 years in a row and it's a hit or miss. Weather around that time of the year in Galveston is not stable, so you don't know what you are going to have. Funny thing is it was always nice a day before when I dropped off my bike. Anyway, avoid this race if you can.
Quote Reply
Re: Need a target 70.3 race for early next year [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife and are I probably going to do Puerto Rico 70.3.

Is this still a pro race?
Quote Reply
Re: Need a target 70.3 race for early next year [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:

Not actually sure if it'll be this year. The 2020 pro event calendar isn't up yet! Would be kind of nice to have a race to do in March though instead of waiting for the normal Oceanside/Texas start to the season.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I think that would be great if they made that available for the Pro's.

Additionally, I know Puerto Rico is a Women For Tri event with, I believe, an extra 25 slots for World Championships allocated to women across the age groups. So, if that applies to you, there is an added bonus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
LifeTri wrote:

Not actually sure if it'll be this year. The 2020 pro event calendar isn't up yet! Would be kind of nice to have a race to do in March though instead of waiting for the normal Oceanside/Texas start to the season.

If its a pro race does that mean age groupers can still register?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For sure! There is always an age group field at every race, but some don't have a pro field at all. The pro field is just an add-on to some races!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For early season I've done IM Texas 70.3 and Puerto Rico 70.3. I enjoyed both very much. For a "race -cation" PR was awesome! Loved the entire race experience! Texas was a lot of fun too but weather is a bit iffy. I got lucky and finished due to an early wave start, but most athletes didn't finish because of a bad storm. Our friend was pulled from the run course when hurricane-like weather struck the venue for a solid hour. I would still go back to that race someday. It's a fun course.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Need a target 70.3 race for early next year [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I am gonna set my sights on Puerto Rico : )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Flights there are crazy cheap right now so that could be an option if you're feeling it!

Thanks, is there any airline in particular you recommend for cheap flights to PR?

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its all going to depend on where you are flying form. Just use an aggregator like Expedia to do the work.
Last edited by: LifeTri: Sep 16, 19 18:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it doesnt have to be an Ironman branded event. There is a 70.3 May 9th in Beaufort, NC called the Crystal Cove.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never been there but if you want a cheap flight, I highly recommend signing up for Scotts Cheap Flights. There is a free and paid option (which is cheap) but we get sent deals to Puerto Rico all the time. Looking back to July, we got sent a deal from most major US cities for $300 or less round trip including $240 nonstop roundtrip from Philly. If you're going to be flying with your bike just limit yourself to the companies that are treating bikes like luggage as it'll save you a pretty good amount (American, Delta, maybe others?). Keep an eye on Slowman's travel series he's putting out now including the article on the front page.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dunno if Oceanside 70.3 is already sold out, but if you can, jump on that action. Super race, super vibe, super location. The ocean swim start is outstanding and the bike course is epic. If you're willing to wait till a little later in the spring, you might want to consider the Williamsburg 70.3 - I've not done it but I imagine it's a good race, if probably hot and humid. If you really want to suffer on a classic course, try Eagleman 70.3 in Cambridge, MD. Pancake flat, windy, and hotter than the dickens most years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Feb 23rd - Geelong 70.3

Coldest in the last few years hit mid twenties, hottest was 38°C

Or would you prefer not to travel?
Quote Reply
Re: Need a target 70.3 race for early next year [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
g_lev wrote:
Texas 70.3 in Galveston is good race in April.

I've done Galveston 3 years in a row and it's a hit or miss. Weather around that time of the year in Galveston is not stable, so you don't know what you are going to have. Funny thing is it was always nice a day before when I dropped off my bike. Anyway, avoid this race if you can.

Two years ago we all froze on course, this past year the weather drowned us all or blew us off course, so that means this coming year its gonna be beautiful!

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you travel? IM Punta Del Este is Mar 29, 2020, and it’s apparently one of the fastest 70.3 races so could be fun
Quote Reply

Prev Next