Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need a new bike computer (not garmin)
Quote | Reply
Almost all my electronics for tri / cycling are garmin and have been for a long time. many versions of watches, bike computers, vectors, etc.

My 810 has been acting up for awhile - it doesn't consistently upload via bluetooth, it crashes occasionally and it's dropping connection with my vector.

I'd like to replace it and would like a non Garmin device. What do you recommend?
Quote Reply
Re: Need a new bike computer (not garmin) [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wahoo Bolt

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
polar m460
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on the bolt

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Need a new bike computer (not garmin) [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Wahoo Bolt

Anything missing from the bolt that I’m used to on Garmin?
Quote Reply
Re: Need a new bike computer (not garmin) [Bypasskid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bypasskid wrote:
polar m460
this should be pink right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the lezyne super gps for a few weeks now. Works fine. It just depends on what you need your bike computer to do
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
BryanD wrote:
Wahoo Bolt

Other "apps."

I've used the first Wahoo Elemnt all year last year and Bolt this year. Wife got the Bolt when it first came out early last year. Super slick. Easy to use. I definitely prefer it to the Garmins we've had in our house. There were some initial bugs, but those are fixed now. And the Bolt looks slick.

BUT, I do miss the app that shows real time W' blance %. It is useful for both crit and mtb racing. I'm assuming Wahoo will add it at some point. People who pay very close attention to their power files can make some very important in-race decisions based on the W' info.

Andy
Quote Reply
Re: Need a new bike computer (not garmin) [AndyPeterson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You must have a newer Garmin than me? I don’t know if I’ve seen apps for the 810 (or just don’t know how to get them)

I do see watt balance using vectors tho, but have never gotten any value from the metric besides saying “hmm”
Quote Reply
Re: Need a new bike computer (not garmin) [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
+1 on the bolt

+7 or so by now. I had an 810 and love my bolt. Small, AERO, and simple to use. You can send to strava, etc. Works with all my electronic stuff....seems to have a long battery life so far.

Cannot comment on downpour rain issues, but so far seems ok in moderate rain.
Quote Reply
Re: Need a new bike computer (not garmin) [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those who have the Bolt, how is the screen sharpness vs Garmin 520? Being a middle-aged farsighted guy, I can barely make out the numbers on my Garmin 520 with 80% backlight. That's with nine fields of data. Is the Bolt any easier to read?
Quote Reply
Re: Need a new bike computer (not garmin) [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
For those who have the Bolt, how is the screen sharpness vs Garmin 520? Being a middle-aged farsighted guy, I can barely make out the numbers on my Garmin 520 with 80% backlight. That's with nine fields of data. Is the Bolt any easier to read?

Can't compare it to the Garmin, but the cool thing about the Bolt is that you can zoom in on fields. All your fields are number (1-9) and as you zoom in, it zooms in on those, eventually zeroeing in to just one field. You can make one field huge.

I'm digging the Bolt, and have mine setup to autolap every 20min. I use that as a nutrition reminder.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:

Screen is sharp. You can toggle the side buttons in and out and that makes less fields and larger. I have all fields occupied but typical zoom in while racing to make larger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:

Not the BOLT, but the Element (same/same) screen comparison with the 820 here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q72LusxxdOA Scrub to about 1/2 way through.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Need a new bike computer (not garmin) [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on the Bolt.

I'm a complete fanboy on mine.

I've also got crap eyesight but the screen is perfectly readable.
Quote Reply
Re: Need a new bike computer (not garmin) [AndyPeterson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyPeterson wrote:
There were some initial bugs, but those are fixed now. And the Bolt looks slick.

Did they ever fix the Auto Pause feature? I was reading somewhere that it was taking 5-6 seconds for the Bolt to auto pause after the bike has come to a complete stop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah. Works quickly.

Actually kind of annoyingly fast on the mtb. It will pause on slow tight uphill switchbacks.

Overall I still like it. Primarily due to ease of use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
BryanD wrote:
Wahoo Bolt

I love my garmin varia radar and it will not work with a Bolt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
garmin will repair or give you a refurb for like $100 if it's out of warranty. it's cheaper than a new device
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like my Lezyne, mainly for the battery life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Wahoo computers don't have the IQ apps, some of which seem to not be of much use but a few of which look pretty interesting. Also lacks activity profiles, which simplifies the interface but makes it less powerful. I have to go into the phone app to turn and and off data pages, and occasionally fiddle with the fields, whenever I switch from road to MTB, or from training to racing. Consequently I often end up with the data pages not quite what I want because I don't feel like stopping and messing with the phone app before my ride. Also they lack true navigation, you can only upload routes to follow and if you get off track you have to resort to your phone. I currently use the ELEMNT and my wife has the 520+, which doesn't have the full navigation features of the high end Garmin but still has more sophisticated navigation. I recently downloaded a route file for a ride to both my ELEMNT and my wife's 520+, it turned out the route file didn't have turn by turn prompts so it was basically useless for me but her Garmin was able to add the turn by turn on the fly. Hers can also direct you back on course if you get off, and the color maps are definitely superior to the rather low res black and white maps which lose too much detail when you zoom out.

The one area where the Wahoo computer is superior is the ability to configure it with the phone app. That capability would greatly help with the usability of the Garmin activity profiles which is one area where the unit-only configuration becomes a problem.

I'd switch to Garmin if their models with the larger screen weren't so expensive but am sitting tight for now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
BryanD wrote:
Wahoo Bolt

Does not support Garmin Varia Radar.
I know quite a few people (myself included) that don't ride outside without it
Quote Reply
Re: Need a new bike computer (not garmin) [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hopefully they will add support for the Garmin Varia Radar in the future since it's ANT+
Quote Reply
Re: Need a new bike computer (not garmin) [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgutstadt wrote:
mvenneta wrote:
BryanD wrote:
Wahoo Bolt

Does not support Garmin Varia Radar.
I know quite a few people (myself included) that don't ride outside without it

definitely one of the big advantages of the garmin. I had a garmin edge 520 but lost it. replaced it with lezyne super gps which works fine and has a great battery life. But garmin varia is something I may consider in the future and will have to switch back to garmin.
Quote Reply