Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need a heart rate monitor recommendation
Quote | Reply
I use a Wahoo Tickr chest strap for cycling, and when running I use the built in optical HRM on my Garmin Forerunner 735xt. Lately the readings from the Tickr have been completely unreliable, and cleaning the unit and the strap, using heart rate gel, and checking the battery all have not helped. So I am trying to decide between trying a replacement strap for the Tickr in hopes it's the strap causing the problem, replacing the Tickr with a new one, just using the 735xt in "broadcast" mode to send the heart rate to the Garmin Edge or whatever, or, maybe trying one of the optical HRM straps like the Tickr Fit or Scosche. Any advice? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Need a heart rate monitor recommendation [2wheels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If your 735XT monitor seems reliable for you, then go with it. I have a 735XT, and my HRM would often get lost on runs. So, I switched to a Scosche. The wrist HRM also sometimes struggles on the bike, I think because of the tight grip on the bars. But again, if you are not seeing that, then use the 735XT.

I got sick of chest straps long ago. My current killer recommendations are the Rhythm+ and the TICKR FIT. The Rhythm+ is probably the best, but it has a short battery life. The TICKR FIT is not quite as comfortable, but the battery is forever. I also own a Rhythm24, but I am not using that until Scosche sorts out all of the firmware issues. It has the potential to be the best-- most comfortable, most features, and great battery life.
Quote Reply
Re: Need a heart rate monitor recommendation [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had this similar problem recently. My first HRM was a Garmin which lasted for 2 years of sweaty fun. I replaced it with a TICKR which, after 6 months, is showing me random numbers which either show that i am about to die, or already dead, or a robot.

I contacted Wahoo customer support and they are going to send me another one, which is nice of them.

In the meantime i've gone and bought another Garmin and it gives me that comfortable familiar feeling of a quality product that does what it is supposed to... (Even though it doesn't support Bluetooth, which is a bit crap.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How long have you had your tickr? I’d start with Wahoo customer service since they’re known for being great and the tickr is pretty good. I just got one a month ago so can’t really comment on longevity but it’s been awesome so far. Good thing is you have a ton of choices.

A tickr strap, and if it’s been a while maybe a while new tickr. Since I’m forgetful I prefer a chest strap.

Garmin hard strap (or any other garmin for that’s matter)

Arm strap such as the Tickr fit or schoche rhythm.

Take your chances with the wrist.

And many many other chest strap choices.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2wheels wrote:
I use a Wahoo Tickr chest strap for cycling, and when running I use the built in optical HRM on my Garmin Forerunner 735xt. Lately the readings from the Tickr have been completely unreliable, and cleaning the unit and the strap, using heart rate gel, and checking the battery all have not helped. So I am trying to decide between trying a replacement strap for the Tickr in hopes it's the strap causing the problem, replacing the Tickr with a new one, just using the 735xt in "broadcast" mode to send the heart rate to the Garmin Edge or whatever, or, maybe trying one of the optical HRM straps like the Tickr Fit or Scosche. Any advice? Thanks.

You already have the 735, so just try that for now. I find it is perfectly OK while running, but as stated above, sometimes gets lost on the bike. It tends to lock into cadence, so I'll be spinning away, around 150bpm and 85rpm, then it'll hop up to 170bpm. Bummer.

Here is a huge vote for the scosche. My first one died after 3+ years, so I immediately bought another. Once it goes, I'll likely get the 24, unless something better comes along. Yeah, the scosche's battery is not too good. I did get a 10+ hour ride on it though. That is quite a bit more than its stated 8 hour range.
Quote Reply
Re: Need a heart rate monitor recommendation [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, can I ask what kind of firmware related troubles you are seeing with the Rhythm 24? I found a pretty good coupon on Scosche products and am wondering if I should go with the Rhythm + over the 24. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Need a heart rate monitor recommendation [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Garmin hard strap (or any other garmin for that’s matter)

+1 for the Garmin HRM1G (hard strap). They're almost free on eBay, they last forever, use a standard CR2032 battery, they are waterproof and are relatively comfortable. I have 3 of them. The biggest drawback they have is that they are bulky. And I broke the latch mechanism one one once but as I said they cost nothing.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Last edited by: Timtek: Feb 24, 19 13:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There have been a few instances of blue lights of death. I had it happen on my replacement after my first one suffered the case crack. I am on my 3rd unit now. Also, the swim HRM does not work in a pool swim, but mysteriously it works perfectly in an OWS.

I put my R24 on the shelf and am using a TICKR FIT until I read that the R24 has all the kinks worked out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW if anyone is in the market for a Scosche strap you can get 39% off with this code

https://slickdeals.net/...rc=SiteSearchV2Algo1
Quote Reply