Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need Wheel Recommendations
Quote | Reply
Hi all - looking for your recommendations on a good "all-around" wheel that could easily be used in training or racing on my road bike. I have about $1,000-$1,500 to spend on them.

These are the leading contender at the moment:

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/...MTU6Y2NDYXQxMDAwNjg=
Quote Reply
Re: Need Wheel Recommendations [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flo not a consideration?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Need Wheel Recommendations [TriFluid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I bought the HED Jet 6 from mybikeshop and love them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My no-brainer options would be either the HED Jet 4 Plus wheels (if you want aluminum braking) or FLO 45 CC if you want the full carbon panache.

The HEDs are lighter and likely faster than the Shimano wheels you reference. Plus, those Shimanos are narrow relative to most current products... Riding on wide rims with good wide tires is like a dream. It is especially dreamy on a road bike. My next wheel purchase will be a set of Ardennes Black wheels for my road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Need Wheel Recommendations [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dreamy, you say? I like dreamy. Why do you choose the Ardennes Black over the Jet 6+?

Also, I'm still on 23s...I know the trend is to 25s now. Been thinking about making the switch. The Jet 6+ say they have a max 90PSI - I'm 185lbs. Is that enough PSI for me?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:
Dreamy, you say? I like dreamy. Why do you choose the Ardennes Black over the Jet 6+?

Also, I'm still on 23s...I know the trend is to 25s now. Been thinking about making the switch. The Jet 6+ say they have a max 90PSI - I'm 185lbs. Is that enough PSI for me?
I changed my TT bike from a set of FLOs to HED Jet Black 9/Disc this year. That is what got me hooked on the dreamy wide ride. I am also 185 lbs., and I rode the IM GC 70.3 at 80 PSI at 21.7 MPH at 184W. That was 25W lower than my race at the end of last year that was also relatively flat. I also did some position tweaks, but I do not think the tire pressure hurt me at all. My TT training rides are often on a rails-to-trails path that has long sections of roughened concrete. The seams are pretty good, but those wide tires at 80 PSI make the road surface irregularities disappear, and it is much faster than high-PSI tires.

The HED Plus rims are very wide interior and deeper than most others. The net is that they have a huge internal air volume in addition to their exterior width. That means you can ride on very low pressure with no risk. I could probably ride on 70 PSI, but I am not ready to go there yet. Per conversations with some HED employees and SMEs, 80 PSI is very good for my weight.

I have a set of narrower wheels on my road bike with 25mm tires. I want to make that jump to wide rims for the ride quality and ease of changing out the wheels-- I have to way expand the brakes to get them to clear a 25mm tire on a narrow rim. With wide rims, wheel changes are a breeze. I do not race the road bike, just training rides and Gran Fondo type events, so aero wheels are not a priority there. I love that the Ardenens Black wheels are super light for their width... everyone else that makes wide aluminum rims are at least 100g heavier.
Quote Reply