Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need Help - Salt Tablets
Quote | Reply
How do people store their salt tablets during a race or ride?

What are some good ones to use ?

Where can you find them online ?

I am doing Ironman Brazil this year and feel I could probably do better with some salty help. :)

Here are ones that I have heard of.

Electrolyte capsules from Hammer Nutrition (http://www.hammernutrition.com)

Succeed! Buffer / Electrolyte Caps from (http://store.yahoo.com/ultrafit/index.html)

Thermotabs - from a pharmacy
Quote Reply
Re: Need Help - Salt Tablets [TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also: Lava Salts, which are sold on the Fuel Belt website I think.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi TRI,

I don't know anything about salts but I can give you a good advice.... Try train on a hilly terrain... They lied when they say that the bike / run course is flat....

Luiz Eng
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Endurolytes by Hammer/E-Caps are absolutely stellar. I highly recommend them. They are also coming out with a "powder only" form so you can mix them directly into drinks and such. As with anything else - test 'em out first. I've found these to be a bit more "potent" (i.e. they absorb really well) than other brands.

"To give less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Pre

MattMizenko.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The "how" of the delivery system may be more important as which product you use. I've used Thermotabs and Succeed. Both have worked well when I've gotten them in me.

I've really run the gambit on the delivery systems, what has proved most effective is to dissolve the supplements in my bike bottles. It's possible to get all your nutrition needs met this way. The Thermotabs have a tendency to clump after sitting a long time so you have to blow gently into the Jetstream prior to drinking to keep things mixed well. I've found this method to be quicker, safer, and with less hassles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pringles...Special Needs bag in small can from Gas Station Rest Stops...

Thermotabs in Tic Tac container

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
'How do people store their salt tablets during a race or ride?'

Several companies sell a small race/fuel belt pouch, I have one from fuel belt with a big velcro flap. Only problem is that I sweat a lot, so the neoprene pouch gets soaked and I have to swap out pouches between bike and run. The Lava Belt version is made of better material and does not take on as much sweat, but its near impossible to open one-handed, which I think is important on the bike. I have tried taping capsules wrapped in plastic wrap to the bike, very hard to work with. I've never tried the bento box type of setup so I can't answer to how they might work, they seem to be a good solution but I'm not fond of having big water systems or food carriers on the bars.

'What are some good ones to use ?'

Lava Salts tend to upset the stomach, they warn you on the label to take no more than 2 per hour and digest them with at least 16oz water. I would stay away from them unless you are fond of port-o-lets.

Suceeds (SP?) are good, a little bit better on the stomach, but you have to take them more often.

The endurolytes are the best but I found you need to take them every 15 minutes which is a pain.

I have been experimenting with a powder called emergen-C, which is a camping/survival product. Basically a very dense electrolyte replacement powder that I mix into my water (both bottles and CamelBak). The label says great tasting lemon-lime, but it basically makes a very salty lemon flavored water, but it seems to work as good as endurolytes and I don't have to reach into my bag of tricks every 15 minutes for a capsule.

I've tried these products on very long bricks (100 mile bikes/10-15 mile runs) and I find that either the endurolytes or emergen-C help me prevent the leg cramps I use to get. I've only experienced one bad leg cramp in training since I started the salt routine and that was on a cold rainy day where I didn't hydrate enough along with the electrolyte replacements.

Ross Hoopingarner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
THE sh** is a plastic film cannister in your bento box or pocket. It keeps them high and dry with fairly easy access-pop of top.

Slow down or Go Around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In training I had always used Thermotabs and had success with them, but when I went to use them in a race about 3 years ago (IMC), I choked on one and threw everything up. I didn't look closely, but did notice a couple of undisolved little white pills in the upchuck (sorry, hope everyone has already had dinner).

Now I take a couple of salt packs from McDonalds and add them to my water bottles and have had much better luck with that. Last year during my bike leg of the Death Race, I had to do a 30 mile bike leg in 120 degree heat and this salty water was all I was able to drink, at a rate of a full bottle every 10 minutes or so.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Need Help - Salt Tablets [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always been told to take salt only WITH potassium?
Quote Reply
Re: Need Help - Salt Tablets [slowtrigeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A small hole in the top of the film canister with a string attached to the bike somewhere... just in case of a fumble.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are doing Brazil beware of a series of killer hills approximately 13 km into the run - and on the way back you have to come down the same series - about 2km long of up and down. Rest of the run is pretty flat - the bike has a few longish pulls but nothing to steep. The weather is NOT all that hot last 2 years has reached a high of around 24 C - if you plan on finishing after dark put a warm top in your run special needs bag. Last 2 years race day weather was perfect however in both years there was substantial wind the week before the race...good luck and beware the draft marshalls - they don't speak English and don't always understand the rules as we do - only time in my career I have ever had a drafting penalty. Floripa is certainly worth the trip - cost me less to do Brazil last year than Lake Placid this year!!!

http://www.endurancesports.ca
Coaching and Training Camps

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How do people store their salt tablets during a race or ride?

What are some good ones to use ?

I put mine in empty tic-tac containers. Normal salt tabs upset my stomach a bit, but Succeed! has worked well.
Quote Reply
Re: Need Help - Salt Tablets [Zulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. Zulu,

Are you planning to race in Brazil again ?

About the marshals... I can tell you even for sprint distances ( they company promote some other races )there's no conversation with them...Be really AWARE !!!!

This year in Brazil is particularly hot !!!! And very rainy !!!

That's my US$0,02

Luiz Eng
Quote Reply
Re: Need Help - Salt Tablets [MS.kansan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MS.kansan wrote:

<I've always been told to take salt only WITH potassium?>

Most of the products we are speaking of here contain potassium and a few other micro-nutrients. I believe the endurolytes have the most optimal combo...well at least they have the most research available on their web site to back up there claims.

Ross Hoopingarner
Quote Reply