Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Neck Pain
Quote | Reply
I experience severe neck pain when running. After I quit running, the pain subsides fairly quickly. I swim, bike, run, lift weight, etc., and am convinced (due to extensive experimentation) it is caused on by biking. (I could be wrong, though.) I did not have this pain prior to "multi-sporting" when I was only running and lifting weights. The biking causing it can occur right before or in the week before and can be from outside or indoor biking. I have been diagnosed (via X-ray) with degenerative disc disease and cervical narrowing. Some family history of this.

Any thoughts on what I can do to eliminate or reduce this short of a operation. Move up handlebars? I have had to drop out of events as the pain is not only severe, but if feels as if permanent damage may be occuring. It is on the right side (only) and extends through my trapezius into the shoulder, arm, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Neck Pain [Curvy Boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you find out the answer, please let me know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple of questions - are you riding mostly in the aero position? And do you spend time stretching your neck and shoulder muscles? I used to have a lot of neck and trap pain - sometimes down into the rhomboids - after extended aero rides. I've done three things that have helped:

(1) when riding on the bars, every fifteen minutes or so I'll straighten a bit and touch chin to chest, stretching the back of the neck, as well as turning side to side;
(2) I make sure to relax my shoulders when riding - I have a tendency to tense them up, and - if I'm not careful - find my shoulders up by my friggin' ears; it takes a conscious effort to relax them, but makes riding the bike a lot more comfortable; and
(3) I stretch neck and shoulder girdle as a major part of my stretching routine virtually every day.

Not sure if any of this applies to you, but these three things really help me - and, if I slack off on any of them, I find out about it fairly quickly by recurrent neck pain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you been using a spin bike in a class or anything? I think these things are designed in a manner that they may lead to shoulder/neck/lower back issues if not careful on one.
Quote Reply
Re: Neck Pain [oldslowdoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No aero position. This makes it worse. I've given hope on riding that way. Besides, where I live is very hilly, twisty, turny.

Stretching my neck is beyond part of any routine. I stretch my neck countless times a day and have for many, many years.

Spin bikes . . .yes. One type is Lemond Revmaster the other is a Spinner Pro.
Quote Reply