Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nats observations from a non-triathlete
Quote | Reply
For Saturday's race, I was one of the volunteers riding the bike course with toolbox on the bike, assisting with mechanical issues. It was pretty interesting to be in the middle of the race as it was going on.

At least 6 or 7 people yelled "thank you!" as they rode past (and not when I was stopped helping someone). And several people telling me I needed to be more aero (jokingly). One of the racers whose flat had gotten fixed (by one of the other service volunteers) made a point of coming over to the tent after the race to thank him. Very nice.

On the other hand, one of the racers whose flat I fixed was quite annoyed that she had to wait so long before someone helped her. I felt bad about that, but nothing really that could have been done. No word of thanks, even though I had to perform some magic to change the flat without having any tire levers. (longer story)

Also saw quite a few instances of racers being quite nasty to other racers -- yelling, swearing, flipping the bird, etc. Mainly this seemed to be about passing and people not keeping to the right. Esp. on the narrow part of the bridge and on the Marginal road. Seeing someone flipping the bird while in the aero bars is quite funny.

Watching some of the racers try to take the hard right turn off the shoreway was a bit scary. Such a variation in skills. I would have thought that people would have at least driven the course beforehand and would have known that was coming. There were a number of crashes there.

Surprised at how few people were using rear disc wheels. And then further surprised at the number of people using regular road bikes, no clip ons or anything -- nothing wrong with that, just surprised there would be so many.

Surprised at the number of bikes that had noisy chains and gears. For a race like this I would have expected people to have bikes in tip-top condition.

Drafting. I guess it's inevitable with that many racers on the course. Not a lot of blatant drafting that I saw, but lots where there was a line of bikes with much less than 3 bike lengths between racers. More like 1 - 2 lengths.

All in all, it was a fun thing to do. I think we ended up fixing about 10 flats between 3 of us. A lot less than I was expecting. (and I think we needed to have at least 5 people to adequately cover the course).
Quote Reply
Re: Nats observations from a non-triathlete [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for volunteering. I’m glad some people gave some thanks. I try to say thank you to all the volunteers when I come across them on race day. Race day would suck without volunteers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s really cool that you do this, thank you.

Any selfish asshole that rides in the middle of the road deserves a bottle thrown at them, a middle finger is too kind. In a race like USAT Nationals, it presents a significant safety hazard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for volunteering, you guys make the races possible!

I don't defend the cursing and flipping off of riders, but I admit that I've gotten very frustrated with riders who don't stay to the right. It creates a unnecessary risk for riders to take up too much room, especially when these riders aren't holding a steady line when in the aero bars. This is even more important when cornering, where the ability of a closing rider to adjust is much less. Closest I've come to crashing in a tri was on a 90 degree corner this year on lap 2 when a slower rider was on lap 1. I went into the corner twice as fast yelling on your left the the whole time, and still nearly collided because he didn't leave a lane to go by.

I really want the sport to be accessible to athletes of all levels, and try to be encouraging to everyone. But athletes need to understand when they're not showing basic courtesy and/or creating a potential risky situation. In my experience, this has been much more of an issue in big tris, where the roads are crowded and there's a vast mix in experience levels among the competitors (which I would imagine is an issue at Nats).
Quote Reply
Re: Nats observations from a non-triathlete [mikeridesbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know on most courses there are a lot of newbies that have know idea about riding to the right, but it seems to be getting worse. At a championship race, you would expect all the triathlete to know rules and be comfortable in a group (even though there should not be groups, there are).
I strongly encourage all triathletes to learn to ride in a peloton so they are aware of fellow cyclists. One needs to glance left before passing. One needs to anticipate slower cyclists and how to safely pass.
Yes, the race director also has a responsibility to provide a course and waves that promote safety.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Nats observations from a non-triathlete [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks, though it really was my pleasure to be able to help out. I know it sucks to have a mechanical in a big race.
Quote Reply
Re: Nats observations from a non-triathlete [mikeridesbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mikeridesbikes wrote:
I don't defend the cursing and flipping off of riders, but I admit that I've gotten very frustrated with riders who don't stay to the right. It creates a unnecessary risk for riders to take up too much room, especially when these riders aren't holding a steady line when in the aero bars.

From what I could tell, it went like this: racer A is going faster, yells out 'on your left'. Rider B either doesn't move or actually moves left. Rider A yells more. Rider B gets offended and says something back. etc.

The worst place where I saw it was on the downhill part of the narrow bridge before the stadium. Which is understandable.

I know the "on your left" thing has been discussed here before. Personally I think either "passing" or "stay right" (or both) is better if you're going to yell it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrianB wrote:
mikeridesbikes wrote:
I don't defend the cursing and flipping off of riders, but I admit that I've gotten very frustrated with riders who don't stay to the right. It creates a unnecessary risk for riders to take up too much room, especially when these riders aren't holding a steady line when in the aero bars.

From what I could tell, it went like this: racer A is going faster, yells out 'on your left'. Rider B either doesn't move or actually moves left. Rider A yells more. Rider B gets offended and says something back. etc.

The worst place where I saw it was on the downhill part of the narrow bridge before the stadium. Which is understandable.

I know the "on your left" thing has been discussed here before. Personally I think either "passing" or "stay right" (or both) is better if you're going to yell it out.

I prefer “move the fuck over”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I'm going to start saying "Method Man" or for short "Mr. Meth"

There was one time when a guy was over in the 3rd lane out of 4, all by himself. I was worried about passing on the right so I took the angle and went around him on the left. Necessary?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Last edited by: MI_Mumps: Aug 12, 18 17:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey brother, I will thank you for all of those who were too busy winning to do so. Especially those that can't fix their own flat. If you and your crew were not out on the course then I guess their races would have been over eh?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think part of the problem with people not riding to the right, especially at Championship events where there are very few newbies, is that they are used to passing people in most races and dont typically think that there might be a lot of people riding faster than them. Its sort of a machismo thing. I've witnessed this a lot at the Nationals I've done when starting in the second half of waves.
Quote Reply