Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Nats Swim
Quote | Reply
Anyone get a measurement? My Garmin clonked out on me. Seemed long and definitely rough...
Quote Reply
Re: Nats Swim [GoJohnnyGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Around 2000yds (1800m) for me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1940 yards for me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2050 for me. But I don't seem straight. Several guys I talked to had numbers around 2000 yards plus/minus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right around 1900 meters is what most people on my team got
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife’s Garmin 920 read 1650 yards (1509 meters) and she did a detour after the first turn buoy because she had a hard time picking up the second one. Which makes me think her Garmin didn’t read right because no way she swam the exact course yardage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2k on mine, 1950 on a buddy's.

I wonder if mine was tracking on the Z axis with all of those 4' rollers as the day progressed. I was in the last wave.

There was a fatality on the swim, but not sure if it was conditions related or not.
Quote Reply
Re: Nats Swim [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems a hair long... But no bug deal... Heartbroken to hear about the fatality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1950, somewhat straight, but that was more luck than judgement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1889 yds
Quote Reply
Re: Nats Swim [Per] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you explain the Z axis? I'm not familiar.
Quote Reply
Re: Nats Swim [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was an attempt at humor. Coordinates on a graph or map. X, Y and Z...in this case I was saying Z was up and down because of all of the waves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha okay, I honestly figured Garmin had made some sort of update or something I missed that actually could calculate that. (Sort of like GAP on Strava)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Follow up question: how did the governing body of our sport manage to screw up the distance by approximately 300m? Three of my friends, all in different waves, clocked between 1950 and 2010 yards.

Re: Nats Swim [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got 1826

If you got over 1849 you need to work on swimming straight.

Maybe fewer flip turns and more open water swimming

Ok just kidding I wasnt. there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IKnowEverything wrote:
Follow up question: how did the governing body of our sport manage to screw up the distance by approximately 300m? Three of my friends, all in different waves, clocked between 1950 and 2010 yards.

This. With GPS and laser range finders it shouldn’t be too difficult.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn’t hear about the fatality - that is awful.

It looked like it had some chop, but not obscene conditions. Hopefully it is chill for is sprinters tomorrow.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2036 yd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IKnowEverything wrote:

You think that’s bad. In Tuscaloosa in 2010ish they managed to have the run short by half a mile. You’d think someone would bike the course before the race or something.

It’s a complete joke that they consistently have issues like this.
Quote Reply
Re: Nats Swim [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And yet we all keep showing up....

Say what you will about Ironman, but when a course is substantially off, they at least admit it. USAT has managed to botch some aspect of the AG nats course every year I've been apart of it, and often the Collegiate Nationals course, anyone remember the 22mile 40k in Tempe, or the 6.6 mile run in Clemson?
Quote Reply
Re: Nats Swim [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The run this year was short. Mine clocked in at 5.98 miles. Most people I talked to reported 6 miles +/- z small tad. The course was extremely crowded.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Distance isn't an issue today. It's a duathlon due to high current.
Quote Reply
Re: Nats Swim [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got 2050 yd swim and 6.0 mi run.
I don't mind a little +/- in the distance of the course, so it's not big deal for me.
The difference in course conditions does seem unfair (Swim was flat for early wave starts, but got choppy quick) but it's the luck of the draw. "You get what you get and you don't pitch a fit" is what I tell my kids, better follow my own advice. They referenced some program/software that determined the order that would keep the course congestion even as possible. Seemed to work in my opinion. I'm not bitter about the difference in swim conditions, just a little envious in a nice way. Lets me know I really need to improve my OWS+choppy skills.
Quote Reply
Re: Nats Swim [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got 1925 yards and a friend got 1930. I did Nats for the first time this year because it was a 90 minute drive from my house. I'll never do the race again and have no idea why anyone does it. Biggest waste of 200 dollars I've spent in the sport. Unfair conditions, incorrect distances, and an overcrowded course are just the tip of the crappy iceberg of AG Nationals.
Quote Reply
Re: Nats Swim [Conky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got 2015 for the swim, and 6 miles exactly for the run. My teammate also clocked right around 2000 in his swim. So thanks, USAT, for giving us almost the half iron distance? That's obnoxious.

I was in wave 2 for the swim start, but when I was out on the run, I was watching the later waves in the swim, and the water looked absolutely miserable.
Last edited by: IronScholar: Aug 12, 18 11:00
Quote Reply

Prev Next