Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nats
Quote | Reply
Only seeing 2470 registered so far between both races. Is this a down year or does it pick up now as we get closer.

Last year CLE was record setting.
Quote Reply
Re: Nats [GoJohnnyGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might actually make it worth going then. Way too many people on the course last year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you see who is registered?

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GoJohnnyGo wrote:
Only seeing 2470 registered so far between both races. Is this a down year or does it pick up now as we get closer.

Last year CLE was record setting.

I couldn't imagine why...

Maybe it was the mis-measured (and then cancelled) swim?

Or, riding just 1 lane of traffic, through road construction, on top of terrible pave?

Or, maybe it was the amazing view of the parking lot, after dodging pothole crevices, on the run?

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Jun 17, 19 10:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People were finally able to check the beautiful city of Cleveland off their bucket list last year

Seriously though, if I am spending money to travel and taking time off work, there is no way in hell I'm going to Cleveland. It's about time USAT hosts these races in a desirable venue.
Quote Reply
Re: Nats [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AG Nats is never worth going to
Quote Reply
Re: Nats [Conky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Conky wrote:

Milwaukee was awesome!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Nats [Conky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Conky wrote:

AG Nats is always worth going to.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Nats [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nats IS fun and great to have a race where lots of fast folks show up. I've done the last 8 years but CLE course was seriously bad last year. I don't see the allure of having the bike go through a city center. They took out the two lap run but its still soul-less loops around parking lots. Not for me this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Nats [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Second on Milwaukee, it was excellent. Was not expecting anything but it was a good course and a lovely city. Would go again if they moved it back. Cleveland? Not so much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I completely bombed my qualifying race earlier this year and was then surprised to receive a qualification email from USAT. I was definitely not in the top 10% of my AG for that race. Made me wonder if they were "easing" the requirements to get more athletes to register.
Quote Reply
Re: Nats [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
People were finally able to check the beautiful city of Cleveland off their bucket list last year

Seriously though, if I am spending money to travel and taking time off work, there is no way in hell I'm going to Cleveland. It's about time USAT hosts these races in a desirable venue.

+1 (thousand?!)

Having the race in the same place two years in a row was a mistake I hope they learn from. Also a bit inconsiderate of triathletes not within 2 hour flight/drive from Cleveland. I understand that 2 hr span is likely the majority or participants anyway but even for NYCers, Cleveland twice in a row is not appealing.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Nats [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2yr window atleast lowers the number of cities required to host the event. So instead of struggling to find 10 cities per decade they only need 5.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow... All good points...i guess...

Being local i was hoping for year 3. Its awesome having Nats in back yard. I did Milwaukee twice a few years back and agree it was awesome also.

Well, I hope this year goes smoother.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I plan to drive up again from Columbus and booked a hotel room within a month of last year's race, but unless there's a tiered entry fee that I'm missing, I have no incentive to register yet. I'm doing the sprint, not the Oly, although I've qualified, and I'm not worried about the sprint filling any time soon. I don't know if I'd be worried yet about the race filling if I was doing the Oly.

I'm guessing there will be less participants than last year but not a large drop off. I sure hope they have better contingency plans re: the swim course.
Quote Reply
Re: Nats [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kentucky Mac wrote:
I completely bombed my qualifying race earlier this year and was then surprised to receive a qualification email from USAT. I was definitely not in the top 10% of my AG for that race. Made me wonder if they were "easing" the requirements to get more athletes to register.

Yes, it's now the top 15%:

Qualification Path #1: General USAT Sanctioned Age Group Triathlons
Updated for 2019
The first way to qualify is through a normal USAT Sanctioned age group triathlon. These events include all non-championship events. To qualify, athletes must either place first or in the top 15% of finishers in their age group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
indianacyclist wrote:

+1 (thousand?!)

Having the race in the same place two years in a row was a mistake I hope they learn from. Also a bit inconsiderate of triathletes not within 2 hour flight/drive from Cleveland. I understand that 2 hr span is likely the majority or participants anyway but even for NYCers, Cleveland twice in a row is not appealing.

They have been holding the race in the same city 2 years in a row for some time now (Milwaukee was 3, I understand the city stepped up when there was an issue with the next venue). I would expect that to continue. Less work, more streamlined permitting, etc.. Chance to make tweaks for a better experience the 2nd year (e.g. they have turned the run into a 1 loop run to ease congestion).

Cleveland may not be on your bucket list; Chattanooga wasn't on mine either but glad I went to the 70.3 Worlds, it was a great time. Cleveland has great restaurants, a thriving beer scene and the lodging is under $200 per night. Many of my teammates and I are going back with some additional racers coming as well.

I do hear you on having to travel far. I would be less likely to go to the west coast for Nats because of the additional travel. I wouldn't be surprised if it was on the west coast next round. It can't be convenient to everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: Nats [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
Conky wrote:

AG Nats is always worth going to.

I went to Milwaukee twice and Cleveland last year - based on that, I fully agree. USAT puts on a good race.

Now I’m also not one who is likely to ever fly to a race anytime soon, so I’ve been lucky with Milwaukee, Cleveland and Worlds in Chicago.

The park is nice and the city is cool. Personally I don’t really notice the scenery during short course because I’m going too hard to care!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Nats [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the race in Cleveland last year and really liked it. Going back this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Nats [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with the cheap lodging. My husband and two friends and I are renting an AirBnB for $85 a night from Thursday-Tuesday. The hubs and I are taking half the total cost, which is still less than $270 for the two of us...for 5 days and 4 nights. And it's a 2 minute drive/10 minute walk from the park. Super freaking inexpensive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My guess is that this year will be down from last year due to the swim venue, bike course and allure of Cleveland. Having said that I'll be going back and racing both days but have not registered yet. I do have my lodging booked, not worried about the races selling out.
Quote Reply
Re: Nats [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
I plan to drive up again from Columbus and booked a hotel room within a month of last year's race, but unless there's a tiered entry fee that I'm missing, I have no incentive to register yet. I'm doing the sprint, not the Oly, although I've qualified, and I'm not worried about the sprint filling any time soon. I don't know if I'd be worried yet about the race filling if I was doing the Oly.

I'm guessing there will be less participants than last year but not a large drop off. I sure hope they have better contingency plans re: the swim course.

I'm almost certain I looked at the USAT site when I wrote this comment on June 17 that there was no tiered entry fee. I looked again today as I'm getting closer to finally signing up and I see this:

Sprint: August 11, 2019
750m swim, 20k bike, 5k run
Sprint Entry Fee: $109
Price Increase to $129 on June 24
Sprint Registration Info: Click Here

Was I hallucinating that there was no price increase listed on June 17? Has the price increase notice been there for months? The closest capture on the Wayback Machine was 12/1/18 and there was no mention of a price increase in June on that date. I looked on the USAT FB page and they posted on June 22 that the price would go up on June 24. No earlier mention in June of the price increase.

Has me thinking that someone at USAT reads ST. If so, congrats on getting an extra $20 from me.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jul 19, 19 10:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there again. Really want a team usa suit with my name on it :)

Apparently the bike course is all good pavement. And I'll make a bet right now that if the water is the least bit sketchy that the swim will get cancelled.
The run was decent. Not sure what the other comment about staring at the parking lot was about. What I dont like is that archway you have to run over right before finishing, really ruins the finish line moment.

I agree with the sentiment about Cleveland being a shit hole. I mean downtown is nice if you're rich but even just commuting in from my airport hotel last year was sketchy af. The whole city is just gross.
I was lucky enough to snag a airbnb house west of the park which looks like a decent part of town

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply