Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nats - Double
Quote | Reply
Thinking of doing both Nats races... How much will my performance suffer on day 2.

Ive never done back to back races before.
Quote Reply
Re: Nats - Double [GoJohnnyGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure how much a help this will be as I don't know the days/races for AG. Last year at Collegiate Nats, I last-minute decided to do the double DL Sprint/Oly. Training volume had been 13-15 hrs/week going in, with plenty of intensity and multi-bricks, never had done back-to-back triathlons. I was living in CA on the coast at the time, race was in humid Alabama (was warm, not crazy hot)

Day 1 (DL Sprint)-ran 5k pace (for 2.7 k) then had a hard ~2 mile solo bike effort to catch a group. Spent my fair share of time taking pulls once I got on. Run #2 ran a 5k pace+5sec/mi (2.5 k).

Day 2 (Classic Oly)-ran 10k pace (for 5k) then had a questionable bike. Was sitting back a chunk to avoid draft packs, but legs just felt like they were lacking a spark, AP was ~6% lower than an Oly the month before. Run #2 was 10k pace+10 sec/mi (for 5k)-definitely was getting tired.

Honestly, I was surprised at how good I felt on the second day, just was missing a spark on my bike legs. I made sure to take care of myself between races-hardly moved, spent 2 sessions in Normatecs, and refueled properly. Also pick reasonable paces.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you think you'll be impaired, you will be. If you think you'll won't, then you you'll won't. Either way, you will be right. You'll probably suffer more mentally thinking about it and physically by doing it, than your results will show. Did it three times at Nats in Milwaukee. Always targeted key race of the Oly on Saturdays. Always placed higher on Sundays in the sprint. Did at Nats in Burlington with Oly on Saturday, then went and did Timberman next day. Hurt worse yet placed higher. YRMV.

https://www.palmtreesahead.com/
https://www.palmtreesahead.com/tactics2faster-new

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did this in 2014 - I found I could only go about the same effort in the sprint as I had the previous day in the olympic. Just make sure you recover well after the Olympic, spin out your legs out, and get as much rest as possible and its not bad.
Quote Reply