Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Natascha Badmann is *still* awesome!
Quote | Reply
I love the results of this race for several reasons. The two biggest:
1) Natascha Badmann is awesome. And I love watching endurance athletes just keep doing what they love doing, regardless of whether the dominate the "A" races.
2) This is an M-dot branded race with just about zero international coverage, so, with one exception (see #1), the locals got a chance to run the table on a big stage.

Quote Reply
Re: Natascha Badmann is *still* awesome! [Koz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good for them, I wonder if all 60 slots to NZ were taken?

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Natascha Badmann is *still* awesome! [Koz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Koz wrote:
I love the results of this race for several reasons. The two biggest:
1) Natascha Badmann is awesome. And I love watching endurance athletes just keep doing what they love doing, regardless of whether the dominate the "A" races.
2) This is an M-dot branded race with just about zero international coverage, so, with one exception (see #1), the locals got a chance to run the table on a big stage.

To be fair,this was a first time race,it is an age group only race and it is in Asia..

It is normal for the 70.3's and most Ironman's in the region to fly completely under the radar,especially here on ST. I continue to try to add the Asian races to the conversation( check out the "diversity" thread) but most of the time it is just Dev and myself talking to each other. I tried to get in to the Goa race but it sold out so quickly it was nuts.
Quote Reply
Re: Natascha Badmann is *still* awesome! [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was at this race!! And yes totally agree with the OP. This race was amazing for several different reasons.
1. Was completely under the radar. There is not a peep about this race on Facebook, Instagram, ST. Just nothing. But its an inaugral M-Dot race, with the city super-excited to keep bringing this race back for the next several years.
2. Was one of the hardest 70.3s I have done (and based on my random sampling after - several other international athletes echoed the same sentiment). Avg temp - 87F, Water temp - 82F, Humidity - 87%.
3. There is a lot of nascent talent in India (and in Asia) that doesnt show up on the world stage because of the high barrier to entry because of the price point. Not everyone can afford to fly their bike and gear to a race in EU. Of the 980 some odd participants, only 47 were international athletes, everyone else was local. This was why the race was sold out.
4. The locals in the city, the hotels, etc - were in for a treat. The hotels went out of their way to ensure that everyone had a great experience. When was the last time the concierge asks what time you are waking up and gets the chef to prepare custom breakfast orders at 3:30am race day morning!! It felt like half the city turned out to spectate, including the local politicians.
5. Natascha Badmann is effing badass!!
6. wild guess - 80-90% of the starters, were doing their first half. And yes, all 60 spots for NZ got taken.
Quote Reply
Re: Natascha Badmann is *still* awesome! [harshc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome stuff.I'll look forward to entries opening up for next year.We get the same thing 90k from me at the 70.3 Bangsaen where the damned thing sells out but nobody ever hears anything about it.Langkawi registration starts today and at least there is some love for this race around the world but I am surprised more folks from Oz don't come as it is a great cheap holiday.
Quote Reply