Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Narrow nose saddle recommendations
Quote | Reply
I have been struggling to adjust to an ISM PN 2.1 for the last 6 months and I think I am finally done trying to make myself fit the saddle. Before my setup is critiqued, let me say I have had a professional fit with the saddle followed up with micro adjustments in height (lower), angle (slight downward tilt) and position (further back)... my issue: nothing I do prevents chafing on my groin / inner thigh area. I am convinced the saddle is too wide and I need a narrow nose saddle.

This article: https://www.slowtwitch.com/...The_Front._6365.html was quite useful in highlighting similar issues I face with the width of the PN 2.1, which at 2cm from the front of the nose is 65mm wide. Does anyone with similar problems in the past now ride a 55mm (or less) nose width saddle?

Similar posts I have searched from years ago recommend the Bontrager Hilo Comp, but I don't think the nose widths are any less than the PN 2.1.

My fitter is recommending the Selle SMP T3 which appears narrow but I can't find any details online of the actual nose width. Can someone with this saddle measure it?

Right now I am thinking of going with the T3 unless I can find some alternate suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Narrow nose saddle recommendations [Fresh79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been riding the riding the Fabric Tri this season after having similar issues with an ISM. It's a bit firm, but I like it up to half-iron distance. Also relatively inexpensive which makes it easier to try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The PN 3.0 seems to be the baby bear's porridge for a lot of people. Experienced fitters on here are saying that this saddle overwhelmingly dominates what people are self-selecting in their fit sessions. Couldn't say how this compares in terms of dimension with the PN 2.1.

The Bontrager Hilo RXL Speed Dial has adjustable width in the nose using a hex key. I've had reasonable luck with this getting comfortable on the trainer, but riding mainly on the base bar. We'll see when I start doing more specific aero work in the new year, but this saddle is not a fully snub-nosed design for riding off the front... seems to me the adjustment is more like being able to change the width of a relief channel in a more traditional saddle design. Might be worth a punt though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dash Stock Stage Narrow
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
best of luck. im on a ism ps 1.0 and having chafing issues at about 45 minutes into a ride. im hunting another option as well.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same issue for me. Tried Fiziik, Dash narrow, and tons of others. The best one I've found as of now is the Koobi 232T, which is the narrowest I've found.

http://www.koobi.com/232t.aspx

Good luck!

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: Narrow nose saddle recommendations [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Dash stock Stage narrow is 55mm (https://www.dashcycles.com/fit-guide/). I've been using it for my tt bike for a a several years, I've just started using it on my road bike as well (replacing an Adamo Prologue).

---------------------------------------
I am a living animal, tied to a dying soul. -PKD

Quote Reply
Re: Narrow nose saddle recommendations [JDinMA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JDinMA wrote:
I've been riding the riding the Fabric Tri this season after having similar issues with an ISM. It's a bit firm, but I like it up to half-iron distance. Also relatively inexpensive which makes it easier to try.

During a previous Ironman i rubbed a hole on the inside of each leg of my tri suit with the ISM saddle. Got on much better with the Fizik Tri Saddle, they do a wide nose (65mm) and a narrow (55mm) version.

I've just ordered a Fabric Tri, just because they got really good reviews and are also cheap compared with the competition so thought i'd give it a go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fresh79 wrote:
I have been struggling to adjust to an ISM PN 2.1 for the last 6 months and I think I am finally done trying to make myself fit the saddle. Before my setup is critiqued, let me say I have had a professional fit with the saddle followed up with micro adjustments in height (lower), angle (slight downward tilt) and position (further back)... my issue: nothing I do prevents chafing on my groin / inner thigh area. I am convinced the saddle is too wide and I need a narrow nose saddle.

This article: https://www.slowtwitch.com/...The_Front._6365.html was quite useful in highlighting similar issues I face with the width of the PN 2.1, which at 2cm from the front of the nose is 65mm wide. Does anyone with similar problems in the past now ride a 55mm (or less) nose width saddle?

Similar posts I have searched from years ago recommend the Bontrager Hilo Comp, but I don't think the nose widths are any less than the PN 2.1.

My fitter is recommending the Selle SMP T3 which appears narrow but I can't find any details online of the actual nose width. Can someone with this saddle measure it?

Right now I am thinking of going with the T3 unless I can find some alternate suggestions?

Thanks in advance

I've had very similar issues and concluded the ISMs were just too wide. I have a Pro Aerofuel waiting to be put on the tri bike, once I get it back from being painted, and I'm optimistically hopefully about it. Definitely measures narrower than the ISMs and a little wider than a Specialized Power, giving it (from what I can tell) a rideable nose since it's slightly wider than the Power and has more padding.

I was speaking with a fitter in Belgium who uses this saddle and he loves it. So I'm hoping it will work for me!
Quote Reply
Re: Narrow nose saddle recommendations [JDinMA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too have suffered from serious chafing issues and found that a considerably narrow saddle than what I had been using was helpful in minimizing the issue. Another key part was using shorts/bibs with almost no padding.

I have the Selle SMP T3 and I measure 50mm wide (the widest part at the bottom...it is narrower at the top) at 2cm from the nose.

I also have the Selle SMP Stratos. Very similar measurements. The T3 is flatter front to back and has slightly more padding, but both are similarly narrow. If you are in the US, PM me if you want to borrow one for the cost of shipping. You aren't allowed to sweat or fart on it though :)

It was a revelation when I had my first ride with no chafing. I didn't even notice/think about the saddle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To all of you chafers- look no further!

I am a small female and have tried many saddles. I have saddle swapped with others. I have even measured the tip area of saddles in cm.

I can undoubtedly tell you the narrowest tip saddles: 1) cobb v flow (35mm) and 2) Selle smp T3 and T4 (40mm)

I used to be on a Bontrager Hilo RXL nonadjustable (45-47mm) but sought out something narrower.

Last season I was on the Cobb V flow but both my husband and I switched to the T3/T4 this season. Reason is that the Selle has a downward "beak" on the tip which helps to relieve pressure (or in my husband's case, he hangs his junk out there).

I have zip tied a ISM in the past, but it still chafed. And the company pissed me off by giving me a PhD diatribe when I dared to ask them if they'll make a narrow ISM for us petite people. (long answer is no, they don't believe in going narrow)

Regarding the Koobi- yes I have tried this saddle too! Tip is super narrow at 30mm, and it feels ok for awhile but the long-term quality just isn't there. The material and supporting foam breaks down too fast.

Give the Selle SMP T3/T4 a chance!
Quote Reply
Re: Narrow nose saddle recommendations [thorofareken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate that, I am in Australia though and with Summer upon us I couldn't guarantee no sweat! :-)

Some good suggestions, thanks all. My fitter has advised I can try the Selle SMP for 30 days and return if it doesn't work, so I'm going to give that a try and see how I go - I will report back on progress.
Last edited by: Fresh79: Nov 8, 18 23:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope I understand that you are not solely interested in a short nose (ISM style) saddle. If so, my wife used the Fizik Aliante for many years because of the narrow nose. It measures 40mm across the length of the nose (as opposed to the 50 to 70 on a zip tied ISM Road) Here are some pictures for comparison. My wife uses the ISM Prologue and Time Trial on her road and tri bikes but still keeps the Fizik on her trainer bike. If you are interested and can't locate one in Oz -give me a PM and I'll see about getting one down to you ( we still have several in the spares box)
Quote Reply