Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
NYT Lance weighing doping admission?
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: NYT Lance weighing doping admission? [tucktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This threads about to explode...can the government go after him if he admits? Would there be a 1 year triathlon ban or a deal worked out with Tygart?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The siren song of Kona sings.....

*runs off to grab popcorn*

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: NYT Lance weighing doping admission? [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I hope he makes a full admission based on his desire to improve the sport and help his foundation, without any expectation of concessions from USADA.
Last edited by: trail: Jan 4, 13 19:22
Quote Reply
Re: NYT Lance weighing doping admission? [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could the government go after him for what?

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of bad things will begin to happen legally if he comes clean. I'd keep quiet if I were him. I'm not seeing a huge upside for him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To quote the article "so he can continue his athletic career" You have to be freekking kidding me. What an arrogant ass
Last edited by: Kenney: Jan 4, 13 19:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's in the New York Times. I wonder if the story is true.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: NYT Lance weighing doping admission? [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perjury. He was deposed under oath in the SCA trial, where he apparently claimed to have never doped.

So, assuming he doped for ~10 years, would it be fair for him to return to competition, after benefitting from training/doping for that long? I say no.
Quote Reply
Re: NYT Lance weighing doping admission? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
The siren song of Kona sings.....

*runs off to grab popcorn*

A sentence reduction would likely be eight eight years, which is what the WADA rules allow as the maximum reduction of a lifetime sentence. He won't be at Kona until he is fifty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is he just waiting until no one cares anymore or something?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: NYT Lance weighing doping admission? [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
You have to be f#@^king kidding me.

So, is this your home or work address?

#cureMS
Quote Reply
Re: NYT Lance weighing doping admission? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

I hope he makes a full admission based on his desire to improve the sport and help his foundation, without any expectation of concessions from USADA.

This is sarcasm right? Thought so.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: NYT Lance weighing doping admission? [dseiler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no clue how I did that....funny
Quote Reply
Re: NYT Lance weighing doping admission? [Tom Fort] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure the Statute of Limitations is 5 years, so he's free on perjury. The other thing that is brought up is the money from the postal service. I imagine thats a pretty complex case, but they sponsered the team to get publicity and that ended up to be a great deal for them by all accounts.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
Pretty sure the Statute of Limitations is 5 years, so he's free on perjury. The other thing that is brought up is the money from the postal service. I imagine thats a pretty complex case, but they sponsered the team to get publicity and that ended up to be a great deal for them by all accounts.
Can't speak for the perjury but I know Floyd brought that whistleblower case against him and the damages would be huge. Tens of millions from what I have read.
Totally agree with you on the sponsorship deal. He delivered great exposure for USPS. It's not like all of the sudden people are gonna say, "omg USPS sponsored lance and he was a doper. Not using their services anymore."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The US Postal Service is effectively bankrupt and has been for years. How did sponsoring a cycling team help them from a monetary standpoint?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Smells like a trial balloon to me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So far the government hasn't joined the FL case. That isn't a good sign. The reports on its worth are just based on the possible amount of fraud I doubt that all of money waas used for drugs ;-).

I'd like to see SCA get their money and the newspaper that is suing over losing the defamation suit also. But I'd really like to see Betsy Andreu sue and win a defamation suit. Somehow I think it would gall LA more to write her a check for $500 than it would to send SCA $10 mil.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some people just dont know when to quit.
Quote Reply
Re: NYT Lance weighing doping admission? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why believe anything he has to say? What's to prevent him from continuing to race, doped? He obviously knows how to pass tests 'clean'. Maybe he will be like the other dopers that all decided to ride clean in magical year 2006 and onward... And get even better race results, to boot. A farce of a farce. I think he should just have his own race series, with his own rules or lack thereof, and move on with his life.
Last edited by: mcycle: Jan 4, 13 20:56
Quote Reply
Re: NYT Lance weighing doping admission? [Rhymenocerus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it would be great. And I think a limited ban and return to sport would be great as well. If minor players like Levi, etc. got 6 mos for full confessions than a 1yr ban for Lance, if he "fully" confessed, would be reasonable. Lance didn't invent doping and to single him out as the "villain" of the doping age (still in progress) is a bit melodramatic. He was just smarter and better about it. Just like he was smarter and better about his training. We can't forget that this guy lived like a monk for 7-10yrs and was more meticulous about his training and diet than any pro cyclist in history (my opinion). He wasn't getting busted for DUI or ecstasy during the off season (Jan Ulrich anyone), he was always laser focused (except maybe in the lady dept) and it gave him dramatic results (with a little help of course). So he lied. Big effin' deal. Name one doper (cyclist or other) who, when first confronted said "Aw shucks, you got me. Guess I'll give up my career now.". BS-not human nature. You always fight for what you have. Whether you are FOS or not. Time changes that. Further introspection changes that. But initially... deny, deny, deny and make counter accusations. Human nature.

His cancer status and cancer work doesn't really come into my calculations. I'm talking from a pure sporting perspective.

As a pure human specimen (yes I know, tainted by drugs) he is on par with few and from a spectator (and participant) point of view I would like to see how far he could push the envelope of human athletic performance.

I am a doctor but I have no idea how a decade of doping would effect his current performance, if we operate under the assumption that he has been doping free since leaving cycling (the first time) he would be 6-7yrs removed from doping. Thinking back to my med school days, I am hard pressed to think of permanent changes/enhancements that PEDs or other drugs would produce (I defer to my colleagues that are more informed about this) but generally, except for cancer Rx and similar, all drugs need to be continued for continued benefit. As far as I know PEDs don't change the genetic expression of mitochondria, etc. I know there have been threads about this but it would be informative to here from other M.D.s on the subject.

Anyway, I would love to see how far Lance could go. Obviously, if/when he returns to sport he would be under heightened scrutiny and would/should be tested more "randomly" than other athletes and definitely after EVERY race.

I can absolutely understand why people are angry at Lance. I have been a Lance fan since his first homecoming in '99 when I lived in Austin, TX. and am very disappointed in him but to vilify him any more or less than any other doper is really inappropriate. I am not an apologist but neither am I an absolutist. EVERYONE should be given a second chance. Millar, Leipheimer, Basso, et. al., and Lance. Lance was just really, really, really good a hiding his doping. Just like he was really, really, really good at riding his bike.

Confess. Repay money. Avoid criminal charges if possible. Return to racing. Get on with life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:

it is almost certain this admission is driven by a potential settlement in the Qui Tam case and maybe USADA sentence reduction so long as he provides info on his suppliers, doctors, team leaders, and the UCI. He'd have to turn full stoolie. Then settle with Floyd and the government for 10 to 15 million instead of the potential of 30 million if he lost, which it seems almost assured he would do. Floyd gets 2-3 million after taxes, lawyers, and paying off the Floyd Fairness Fund victims, and USPS gets 7 or 8 million of its $10 million back.
Quote Reply
Re: NYT Lance weighing doping admission? [ironpsych] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since he's been exposed as a liar and cheat, can we please do away with the "trained harder and smarter" meme. You actually have no independent evidence to support that claim.
Quote Reply
Re: NYT Lance weighing doping admission? [pick6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I said before Ben If that Qui Tam lawsuit by the doper is succesfull I will donate $100 to the Eleonore Rocks charity in your name
Quote Reply

Prev Next