Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
NYC or South Florida for Triathlete Lifestyle?
Quote | Reply
Hello all! Long time/first time here on ST.

I am a native California airline pilot who is contemplating changing my "domicile" from the Los Angeles area (but I live in Sonoma County) to either Fort Lauderdale or NYC. Need to find the perfect place to continue my lifestyle as a competitive age group triathlete. In NYC I’ve enjoyed running in Central Park, but haven’t been able to find a decent aquatics center. I’ve discovered the one in Flushing isn’t too receptive to visitors unless you’re a resident. As for cycling, I’ll bike on Zwift. Not a fan of the cold either, but I’ll be able to fly Caribbean trips and open water swim while down there. As for South Florida I’ve enjoyed running and biking along the A1A, and enjoy the long course swim at the Swimming Hall of Fame. Warmer weather in winter too but less Caribbean layovers in my seniority. Any thoughts? My home is in Santa Rosa in Northern California and this decision is not an easy one for me, as I have it all right here in my back yard. I race the Santa Rosa half and full IM every year now, as well as ride LGF in Oct, but would have to mix it up and probably try IM Lake Placid if I find myself back in NYC, or some of the Florida races. I plan on keeping the home in NorCal too, as my heart will always be in the west. Occasionally I will commute, so hopefully two-thirds of the month will still be spent in Santa Rosa. The wife and kids are not too happy about moving back east, so I'll take one for the team. Any thoughts/feedback are greatly appreciated!
Last edited by: Flyswimbikerun: Aug 12, 19 18:16
Quote Reply
Re: NYC or South Florida for Triathlete Lifestyle? [Flyswimbikerun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OMG you are crazy

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: NYC or South Florida for Triathlete Lifestyle? [Flyswimbikerun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Florida tri scene is more in Hillsborough County (Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater) area if you're looking to move to Florida generally speaking in the radius of an airport

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've lived in NYC for 10 years and am a competitive AGer

*Plenty of masters swim teams here, access to a pool is pretty easy. Don't go by the flushing pool or any NYC public pool for what NYC has to offer here - they are only a severe last resort for me
*Running is usually fine, weather never gets so bad that you can't run outdoors. Plenty of paths/parks to run through depending where you live
*Biking is tough. I do 95% of my riding indoors including long bikes. If you live near the UWS you can go over to NJ easily but I would much rather live in FL if I cared about biking outdoors more. Central Park is useless for actual training

NYC is much more expensive than FL.

If I were to move to one of those places purely to maximize the triathlete lifestyle, I would pick FL. I love NYC but you have to love the city enough to have it outweigh the inconvenience.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have lived in NYC and Tampa.

You have to go where the weather is; Florida is the winner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Florida for taxes hands down
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in the process of moving from Vancouver BC to NE Florida (Just got back after being there April-August so a similar comparison as northern cali....other than a bit colder hah Although this is subjective, in my person opinion I honestly don’t think there are many places worse for Triathlon than Florida (Don’t tell my fiancé lol)

Cycling is flat AF and boring. Most of the time you are on the side of a freeway and have no rollers to split things up. Views pretty much stay the same. Further, there are bad drivers everywhere but Florida is a the cycling death capital of the USA. At least in JAX, at least 1-2x every ride there is that jerk that purposely tries to get in your space. It’s great to cycle because of the sun but in the summer/fall you always have to prep for thunderstorms and with the high humidity I find I run through 3 bottles an hour making a 100mile ride a bit annoying to stop at a gas station 4x.

Running is great in the winter but even if you heat adapt, spring/summer/fall be prepared to be sweaty AF the entire run. It’s great to heat adapt as I just did Ironman whistler in 77F without a single drop of sweat, but it’s not run.

I would take NY with moderate climate, hills, mountains, trail running.
Depending on your preferences your opinion may vary but in a pure triathlon training opinion, I don’t think the weather makes up for it unless you suck in heat and then once you heat adapt all the hot races will seem a ton easier.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC or South Florida for Triathlete Lifestyle? [BGildenstern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Happiness is a Canadian heading north with a New Yorker under each arm"

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NYC you get - AOC, DeBlazio, Cuomo, high taxes, terrible gun laws, major restrictions on everything they can think of.

Florida you don't get the above.

Seems pretty simple to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you need to move for work? I'm not sure either would be an upgrade from a purely triathlon perspective from southern California (lived in NYC for a decade, purely based on summer weather for Florida).

NYC is great for many reasons, but if you're not a fan of the cold anywhere in the Northeast has a decent amount of real winter (doesn't stop people, but riding along the Pacific in LA beats bundling up to do hill repeats in NJ in mid-February).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I vote Florida but not ft Lauderdale. You need to look further north in Florida or West to get better riding. It’s hard to get consistent riding without stopping a ton down in Lauderdale/Miami.

Jupiter, Orlando, Tampa, St Pete to name a few.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: NYC or South Florida for Triathlete Lifestyle? [BGildenstern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BGildenstern wrote:
I am in the process of moving from Vancouver BC to NE Florida (Just got back after being there April-August so a similar comparison as northern cali....other than a bit colder hah Although this is subjective, in my person opinion I honestly don’t think there are many places worse for Triathlon than Florida (Don’t tell my fiancé lol)

Cycling is flat AF and boring. Most of the time you are on the side of a freeway and have no rollers to split things up. Views pretty much stay the same. Further, there are bad drivers everywhere but Florida is a the cycling death capital of the USA. At least in JAX, at least 1-2x every ride there is that jerk that purposely tries to get in your space. It’s great to cycle because of the sun but in the summer/fall you always have to prep for thunderstorms and with the high humidity I find I run through 3 bottles an hour making a 100mile ride a bit annoying to stop at a gas station 4x.

Running is great in the winter but even if you heat adapt, spring/summer/fall be prepared to be sweaty AF the entire run. It’s great to heat adapt as I just did Ironman whistler in 77F without a single drop of sweat, but it’s not run.

I would take NY with moderate climate, hills, mountains, trail running.
Depending on your preferences your opinion may vary but in a pure triathlon training opinion, I don’t think the weather makes up for it unless you suck in heat and then once you heat adapt all the hot races will seem a ton easier.

Look up Clermont.

For the OP, Clermont (just outside Orlando) is the home of the National Triathlon Training Center, a gorgeous outdoor 50m pool, track and an great facility. The roads in the area are truly hilly, and great riding. A number of pros call it home. I'd move there in a minute....
Quote Reply
Re: NYC or South Florida for Triathlete Lifestyle? [palmtrees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard good things about the Tampa/St. Pete area. For once in my life I plan to drive to work instead of fly (like I have been doing my whole career), so it looks like TPA would be out. I guess I could drive it, but I want to be close to FLL/PBI.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC or South Florida for Triathlete Lifestyle? [Abergili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, but it will just be me going east and I will keep the house in CA where the wife/kids will continue to stay. It will be a hard case to avoid CA taxes, much to my disappointment. The FTP loves these kind of cases.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem is if I chose NYC, I will be near JFK for convenience, so getting out to those "hills" may prove to be difficult. Queens is not the most ideal place to train for sure, so I'm probably stuck indoors for cycling (which is fine). Would be interested in Upstate NY but then again I would have to make that commute past the city and over to JFK.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC or South Florida for Triathlete Lifestyle? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would rent in NYC for sure. I've seen the taxes (insane) but then again I've been a Californian my whole life. We have our share of taxes and crazies too.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC or South Florida for Triathlete Lifestyle? [andrewjshults] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I updated my initial post. I don't need to move for work, and I plan to occasionally commute from NorCal. However to ease the pain, I need to either buy/rent a condo in Florida or rent a place in NYC. I guess it comes down to where I want to spend my "away from home time." NYC or Lauderdale? When I'm not flying, I'm doing some sort of multisport.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC or South Florida for Triathlete Lifestyle? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll look it up! Thanks. We have a base in Orlando too, but too senior for me to hold at the moment. I guess I could drive from Orlando down to Fort Lauderdale, but sounds like a 4-hour commute.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Otherwise, Tampa area has a large contingent of triathletes. Check out the Mad Dog tri club. St. Pete, Clearwater, Sarasota all have huge tri groups but riding is far better in Clermont area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
terrible gun laws
Only if you like shooting. If you care about people not getting shot, they're great.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
NYC you get - AOC, DeBlazio, Cuomo, high taxes, terrible gun laws, major restrictions on everything they can think of.

Florida you don't get the above.

Seems pretty simple to me.

Florida: bath salts, meth, George Zimmerman, gators, massive snakes, massive hurricanes, a robbed prez election, and possibly one of the most aggressive anti-cyclist states in the region when away from population centers (good ole boys out for fun).

I'll see your lib hatefest with a red state hatefest.

But, for weather and getting around outdoors...........answer is still FL. Just wear a confederate flag bike jersey when away from the city.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flyswimbikerun wrote:
The problem is if I chose NYC, I will be near JFK for convenience, so getting out to those "hills" may prove to be difficult. Queens is not the most ideal place to train for sure, so I'm probably stuck indoors for cycling (which is fine). Would be interested in Upstate NY but then again I would have to make that commute past the city and over to JFK.

If you are anywhere near JFK forget biking outdoors- you'll have to go away for the weekend to get any decent training. To get from upstate NY to JFK is a disaster - you are going through the epicenter of all traffic that has slowdowns 24/7 unless you're rolling through there at 3am.

That said, upstate NY is a cycling mecca and is only ~1.5-5 hours away, depending on how far north you go. I've had my best cycling experiences in the Catskills and Adirondacks and I would venture to say that it is much better than cycling in Florida (but not year-round).

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have lived in both NYC and Miami (not ft. lauderdale but some of my best traithlete friends live there). From a triathlon perspective, I'd say South Florida has NYC beat hands down.

I'd say NYC has pretty good running scene, but South Florida is way better for swimming and cycling. You have far better accessibility to pools, and although cycling is flat, you don't have to waste 30 minutes biking through NYC traffic and then GW bridge just to get to reasonable paths to bike. I have lived in 6 states, and I encounter jerks trying to run me off the road in every state I have been it, so I honestly don't worry about it much anymore. But by far, the risk of being doored in NYC is the highest.

In NYC, your best swimming pool is Asphalt Green on the upper east side. It can get crowded at times though. For bike trips, I'd either do late night laps around central park (no traffic), or have to go through Harlem and GW bridge onto Jersey for stretches of reasonably non-congested roads. In Florida, there are plenty of swimming pools open year round, you have the ocean, and from my experience, a lot more realistic bike routes and clubs.

Also regarding all the discussions about Florida being more conservative. I think it's true compared to Cali, but for what it's worth, Florida's political landscape is quite varied depends on where you are (panhandle is quite conservative and Miami is very liberal). To the extend, some people would say "In Florida, you have to go North to go to the South).

Disclaimer, this post is only regarding triathlon training. NYC is one of the most fun cities in the world, and that's a consideration when choosing where to live.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Aug 13, 19 10:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How old are you and whats your social life like?

SoFL is going to be better for entertainment and travel (also more expensive). Id suggest a tad more North than FLL such as Delray, Palm Beach, Jupiter...which are all an easy drive to Ft.L but more chill and better biking.

West Florida is more laid back, mid-western vibe, but lacks the action...Less expensive, but tampa bay area is growing quite fast so its a good investment area.

Avoid Orlando at all costs...
Quote Reply
Re: NYC or South Florida for Triathlete Lifestyle? [GatorRacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go Gators!

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply

Prev Next