Quote Reply
Re: NYC Triathlon CANCELLED [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the projected temperature?

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Triathlon CANCELLED [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On Sunday, high of 96. 85 at race start and 90 at 10am when everyone should be done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's bullshit that they cancelled with those temps. Hot yes but not crazy. Did they say if they're refunding or giving free registration next year?

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super annoyed.

It was basically the same exact weather last year. Was really looking forward to it too.

Is this the first time they’ve ever canceled it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does everything have to be political? How does DB has anything to do with it? He's the mayor and issue these warning as a matter of duty. It's the race organizer's decision ultimately.
Last edited by: dalava: Jul 18, 19 17:22
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Triathlon CANCELLED [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
That's bullshit that they cancelled with those temps. Hot yes but not crazy. Did they say if they're refunding or giving free registration next year?

They’re giving out full refunds
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Triathlon CANCELLED [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because he cancelled it.

He even said a few days ago “I don’t even know why people would want to run when it’s this hot out”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did he cancel it, through what order? I didn't think mayor has that kind of power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TJP_SBR wrote:
On Sunday, high of 96. 85 at race start and 90 at 10am when everyone should be done.
With the heat index over 100 with air quality poor
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My coach runs the event management company that puts on this race. The RD is local who has been doing races for 30+ years, including NYC and Alcatraz. I was going this weekend with coach and 2 other teammates to all race. Per coach, they didn’t have a choice. de Blasio wouldn’t even let them shorten it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. Ultimately it is the local jurisdiction that can do whatever they want for whatever reason they want.

The race organizers have no power, so yes it was DB (short for something lol) decision

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Triathlon CANCELLED [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greetings from Louisiana, you just described June through Mid-September.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the latest I read: https://pix11.com/...tpone-nyc-triathlon/

Based on this, I would say it's a stretch to say "de Blasio canceled the race".

Furthermore, I think it's actually a prudent decision by the organizer to cancel the event. This is not about just the health of the athletes, but also all New Yorkers when the city's EMT services will be impacted if there are a large number of athletes needing emergency care. Based on what I've heard, NYC Triathlon is one of these destination events that attract a lot of novice or non-regular triathletes, so they may be particularly susceptible to the heat and poor air quality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:

Furthermore, I think it's actually a prudent decision by the organizer to cancel the event. This is not about just the health of the athletes, but also all New Yorkers when the city's EMT services will be impacted if there are a large number of athletes needing emergency care. Based on what I've heard, NYC Triathlon is one of these destination events that attract a lot of novice or non-regular triathletes, so they may be particularly susceptible to the heat and poor air quality.

I don’t know what to tell ya. The event organizer is my coach and said the mayor cancelled it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you think about the decision, irrespective of who made the call? I thought it was a smart call given the condition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TJP_SBR wrote:
Greetings from Louisiana, you just described June through Mid-September.

Seriously though. If I didn’t bike or run in anything over 90 I’d never leave my house for 4 or 5 months (Houston)

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What conditions?

It’s an Olympic. Everyone will be finished by 10am when it’s expected to be 90. It was hotter last year from what I have heard. They just did full Ironman races in Europe in temps exceeding 100 degrees.

Literally 2 weekends ago it was 114 heat index when I did my run.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Triathlon CANCELLED [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A little google search turns up only a few races during July - Nov around Houston.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
A little google search turns up only a few races during July - Nov around Houston.

Unsure what point you’re trying to make...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Extremely frustrated. Between flights and bike transport I'm in the hole... Snowflake mayor I'm extremely angry right now.
Last edited by: kart17: Jul 18, 19 18:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We did Ironman Canada last year in 95 degrees pretty much all day!

So much carnage on the bike route!

Maybe do it anyway?

They can’t stop you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:

I'll add that I think the water quality will be particularly poor due to the torrential rains yesterday and today.

Also, NY Road Runners cancelled an event on Saturday morning due to heat/humidity.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Last edited by: jt10000: Jul 18, 19 18:05
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Triathlon CANCELLED [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
dalava wrote:

I'll add that I think the water quality will be particularly poor due to the torrential rains yesterday and today.

I don’t think anyone was expecting the Hudson River to be crystal clear Caribbean blue this weekend
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TJP_SBR wrote:
The last wave is hitting the war around 7am so I wouldn't be surprised if people are still on the run course at noon. I've done this race a few times and there were many participants who didn't appear to be in good shape. With the litigious culture of out society and the nanny state that governs us I can't say I'm surprised they cancelled it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next