Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
NYC Tri Swim Video (noodles included)...
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri Swim Video (noodles included)... [BrianPBN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That aggravates me to no end. Those people should be removed from the race as soon as they exit the swim (I'd say during but wouldn't want to detract assistance from someone who might be in greater need). They are putting other people in harms way. I would put their names on a regional list that is sent to all RD's in the area and ban them from races for the rest of the season - then the following season they would have to drop down to a shorter distance and complete that race legitimately before they could ever enter a longer distance race again.

It's easy to do if you have your RD's scrub their registration list with the banned list.

It also cheapens the sport.

"It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." - Paul "Bear" Bryant
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was the lady in blue trying to signal kayaker at 3 seconds into the video in the top left corner ? Looks like she had her hand up in the air then turning around looking as the current swept her down stream.

Quote | Reply
wow. really? wtf!

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
USATF Coach | NYRR Distance Pacer
Dad of twins
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri Swim Video (noodles included)... [dsimo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsimo wrote:
Those people should be removed from the race as soon as they exit the swim (I'd say during but wouldn't want to detract assistance from someone who might be in greater need). They are putting other people in harms way. I would put their names on a regional list that is sent to all RD's in the area and ban them from races for the rest of the season - then the following season they would have to drop down to a shorter distance and complete that race legitimately before they could ever enter a longer distance race again.

It's easy to do if you have your RD's scrub their registration list with the banned list.

I agree with this idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't mind wetsuits, because, as I have stated I see them much the same way as a lot of the Aero Gear, but noodles??? Sorry that is also something I think which was more race specific since it allows them to "float" with the current... i.e. in a lake they probably would not make the cutoff attempting the same thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DQ and pull them....WTF
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was going to feign indignation but then I realized that wetsuits not only serve as flotation devices but also serve to fundamentally change the way people swim, so I decided against it.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri Swim Video (noodles included)... [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that why you gave me yours old wet suit. For the record the nether region was all stretched out when I got it. What's up with that ? It slowly going back to it's normal unstretched self now when I wear it.

Re: NYC Tri Swim Video (noodles included)... [dsimo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are ridiculous. Some people entering the sport have maybe never had the "deep" and apparently superior experience you have had in the sport. The swim being the most intimidating portion you cast a stone to someone who is probably in the wave after you and would not impede your progress. I get that fins and propulsion devices are a no go but the noodle we all know wont make you any faster. This triathlon had two people die this weekend. I am going to go ahead and say that if a noodle could prevent that then its a good thing. Just relax a bit and try not to make triathlon a "good ole boys club" where you have to be super good or not tri. I am going to go ahead and assume you are the same guy who climbs over people in the start of the swim because your triathlon world is so much more important than anyone elses. Do us all a favor and shut up and just enjoy the sport and encourage others who are learning and trying it out.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri Swim Video (noodles included)... [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Strange-one reason I gave it up to you was because that region felt so tight and restrictive ;^)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
when i read about the noodles in yesterday's posts i first thought it was a joke of some sort. i've never heard of noodles being any part of a tri lifeguard/water safety plan. i was wondering if this was a regional thing, relatively new, or ??? amazing.
peggy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, that is one rippin' current. That would be a hoot to do.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a cofidance builder at all are you ;0)

Re: NYC Tri Swim Video (noodles included)... [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri Swim Video (noodles included)... [hammerruns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hammerruns wrote:
You are ridiculous. Some people entering the sport have maybe never had the "deep" and apparently superior experience you have had in the sport. The swim being the most intimidating portion you cast a stone to someone who is probably in the wave after you and would not impede your progress. I get that fins and propulsion devices are a no go but the noodle we all know wont make you any faster. This triathlon had two people die this weekend. I am going to go ahead and say that if a noodle could prevent that then its a good thing. Just relax a bit and try not to make triathlon a "good ole boys club" where you have to be super good or not tri. I am going to go ahead and assume you are the same guy who climbs over people in the start of the swim because your triathlon world is so much more important than anyone elses. Do us all a favor and shut up and just enjoy the sport and encourage others who are learning and trying it out.

4.9 Illegal Equipment. Any swimmer wearing any artificial propulsion device, including but not limited to fins, gloves, paddles, or floating devices of any kind shall be disqualified.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eganski wrote:
I was going to feign indignation but then I realized that wetsuits not only serve as flotation devices but also serve to fundamentally change the way people swim, so I decided against it.

technically a wetsuit is not a PFD. At least not according to the US Coast guard or any other North American water safety organization (that I have found).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, you'd be way off in your assumption. I mentor several novice triathletes. I'm the guy who slows down to ask people if they're OK when they look like their in trouble. I'm the guy who throws a bike tube to someone on the side of the course asking for one.

I am all for inviting as many people to participate in the sport as possible - the world is a better place with more triathletes. But people have to know their limits.

As the RD at the NJ State Triathlon said before the race began, "if you've never swam 1500 meters before, an Olympic distance triathlon should not be the first place you're doing it."

Everyone wants to go for the big prize immediately - all I'm saying is people need to know their limits. A small sprint distance race in a calm smooth lake with a couple of hundred people should be your first race, not an Olympic in the choppy, strong waters of the Hudson river with thousands of people.

"It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." - Paul "Bear" Bryant
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri Swim Video (noodles included)... [pmcdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2
I saw the title of this thread and thought it was a joke. I was not even looking for the noodle.
The heartburn a RD must have during the swim portion of these larger races...yikes.

Robert Flanigan

Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri Swim Video (noodles included)... [pmcdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually I'm the guy who shot the video. It was my first time watching the event from the outside but I'm injured and was cheering for my wife.

There was some chop due to the strong current but nothing you don't encounter in the ocean (Anyone swimming yesterday over 20' should take classes and train in the ocean.... and I'm a slow swimmer).

The video was shot about 250y from swim start and I couldn't believe my eyes. During the 5 minutes I was there I saw 3 noodles. I can't understand how they let them jump into the water.

The woman on the left top was indeed waving her arm but there was a kayak below me with a very old woman holding for her life and she didn't let go. About 20% of the field was not swimming at all, just floating downriver... and very fast. According to my wife she heard 3 different calls for help.

No one should get in the water without the knowledge they can finish it comfortably and beginner friendly races should consider how to address this situation. (Swim NY who organizes races in the Hudson requires a previous time or a pool certificate)

My heart to the families of the 2 victims
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Noodle + Current = Free Ride

------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.GetEndorFit.com
Personal Training and Sports Conditioning
------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri Swim Video (noodles included)... [newinnycus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I witnessed a guy holding onto a kyack for dear life 100m from the start, then using a noodle to swim while doing the doggie paddle.

The current was ripping yesterday, with choppy water. People who do not know how to swim should not have been in the water yesterday.

I was a beginner too once, am no way near a pro or boosting my abilities, we are concerned for 'saftey in the great sport but people need to be honest with themselves and if you are unexperienced, an Olympic tri in the Hudson may not be ideal for your first tri event.

My thoughts and prayers are with the families of the 2 victims.

My thoughts are with the NYPD, FDNY and EMS as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bullshit. It's easy. If you can't swim, don't enter a f'in triathlon. USAT should require people to submit some proof of swimming competency (just like it's done in several Euro countries).
Such as an 800m pool swim, without a wetsuit, without a pull buoy, without holding on to the lanes, and the walls.

If you need a wetsuit, and noodles, on top of a 5-6mph current to get out of the water, well, sorry, you can't swim. Enter a duathlon (they're harder anyway).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I couldn't tell from either thread. Where noodles from swim safety personnel given to people in trouble or did participants enter with them from the start?
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri Swim Video (noodles included)... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Bullshit. It's easy. If you can't swim, don't enter a f'in triathlon. USAT should require people to submit some proof of swimming competency (just like it's done in several Euro countries).
Such as an 800m pool swim, without a wetsuit, without a pull buoy, without holding on to the lanes, and the walls.

If you need a wetsuit, and noodles, on top of a 5-6mph current to get out of the water, well, sorry, you can't swim. Enter a duathlon (they're harder anyway).

No they are not!

Prev Next