Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
NP, IF, TSS - registered trademarks?
Quote | Reply
Hey guys,

I want to integrate theses metrics in MaximumTrainer (cycling software), but I heard they are registered to Peaksware LLC.
I was wondering if it is really true, because the terms seem quite generic to be registered.

Anyone had problem using theses metrics? are you forced to link it with Peaksware every time you use the words?
If I need to, I was thinking of adding this on my website:
Normalized Power(NP), Training Stress Score(TSS) and Intensity Factor(IF) are registered trademarks of Peaksware LLC. [Link to Peaksware website]


Thanks in advance!


Free Indoor Cycling Software - https://maximumtrainer.com
Last edited by: MaximumTrainer: Oct 28, 14 18:19
Quote Reply
Re: NP, IF, TSS - registered trademarks? [MaximumTrainer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MaximumTrainer wrote:
Hey guys,

I want to integrate theses metrics in MaximumTrainer (cycling software), but I heard they are registered to Peaksware LLC.
I was wondering if it is really true, because the terms seem quite generic to be registered.

Anyone had problem using theses metrics? are you forced to link it with Peaksware every time you use the words?
If I need to, I was thinking of adding this on my website:
Normalized Power(NP), Training Stress Score(TSS) and Intensity Factor(IF) are registered trademarks of Peaksware LLC. [Link to Peaksware website]


Thanks in advance!

Yes, TraininigPeaks (as Peaksware, I believe) holds the trademarks to those terms. As for their legal use, this document would presumably answer any questions you might have:

http://www.uspto.gov/...emarks/law/tmlaw.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: NP, IF, TSS - registered trademarks? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Mr Coggan! I will make sure to put a link to Peaksware in that case.


Free Indoor Cycling Software - https://maximumtrainer.com
Quote Reply
Re: NP, IF, TSS - registered trademarks? [MaximumTrainer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MaximumTrainer wrote:
Thanks Mr Coggan! I will make sure to put a link to Peaksware in that case.

You should probably check w/ an attorney to see whether that is sufficient. My understatinding is that TP has gotten far more pro-active in defending their IP rights.
Quote Reply
Re: NP, IF, TSS - registered trademarks? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
MaximumTrainer wrote:
Thanks Mr Coggan! I will make sure to put a link to Peaksware in that case.


You should probably check w/ an attorney to see whether that is sufficient. My understatinding is that TP has gotten far more pro-active in defending their IP rights.

Good to see they are doing something - cause its not development :)
Quote Reply
Re: NP, IF, TSS - registered trademarks? [MaximumTrainer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That depends on each country...

Is your company US based? Otherwise you should check if those are registered in your (website/company) country
Quote Reply
Re: NP, IF, TSS - registered trademarks? [ddave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't trademark the formula, only the term. I strongly encourage everyone to purchase "Training With Power" to support those that devised it though.
Quote Reply
Re: NP, IF, TSS - registered trademarks? [MaximumTrainer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess is you can pay to use the terms.

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Re: NP, IF, TSS - registered trademarks? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
TraininigPeaks (as Peaksware, I believe) holds the trademarks to those terms.

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/...PARA1=&p_tagrepl~%3A=PARA1%24LD&expr=PARA1+AND+PARA2&p_s_PARA2=peaksware&p_tagrepl~%3A=PARA2%24OW&p_op_ALL=AND&a_default=search&a_search=Submit+Query&a_search=Submit+Query
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Oct 29, 14 6:48
Quote Reply
Re: NP, IF, TSS - registered trademarks? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the comments all,

The company is Canada (Québec) based.
I already had the terms in the beta version, I used the formula there, I thought it was open to everyone :
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Normalized_Power_Formula_or_Calculator..._P3097774/
But anyway, I did put a reference on the website and software to Peaksware


Free Indoor Cycling Software - https://maximumtrainer.com
Quote Reply
Re: NP, IF, TSS - registered trademarks? [MaximumTrainer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you would think that they wouldn't have a problem with maximumtrainer using their formulas considering that maximumtrainer is free software that promotes cycling and accessibility to all. Also, I never knew it was possible to trademark a name for a mathematical formula. someone should trademark the pythagorean theorem.
Quote Reply
Re: NP, IF, TSS - registered trademarks? [fruity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From another thread... Let me know if you would like an introduction :)

gear_fisher wrote:
We do claim trademark for TSS, IF, NP (and others), and they are currently registered internationally. We are actively pursuing US registration. Meanwhile, Garmin, Saris, Trainer Road and several others have publicly acknowledged us as the trademark owner for those terms. We are happy to discuss the use of the terms with anyone, we claim no royalty, simply attribution. Even the next version of Golden Cheetah is using them with permission. The formula for TSS based on power is public knowledge, but it is held as trade secret on how we handle data-gaps and other specific circumstances when applying the formula. We also keep as trade secret the calculations of TSS based on other methods like heart-rate and pace.


-Gear
CEO, Peaksware
http://www.TrainingPeaks.com


Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: NP, IF, TSS - registered trademarks? [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
From another thread... Let me know if you would like an introduction :)

gear_fisher wrote:
We do claim trademark for TSS, IF, NP (and others), and they are currently registered internationally. We are actively pursuing US registration. Meanwhile, Garmin, Saris, Trainer Road and several others have publicly acknowledged us as the trademark owner for those terms. We are happy to discuss the use of the terms with anyone, we claim no royalty, simply attribution. Even the next version of Golden Cheetah is using them with permission. The formula for TSS based on power is public knowledge, but it is held as trade secret on how we handle data-gaps and other specific circumstances when applying the formula. We also keep as trade secret the calculations of TSS based on other methods like heart-rate and pace.

-Gear
CEO, Peaksware
http://www.TrainingPeaks.com

Ah I knew that I've seen somewhere that attribution was enough, thanks for sharing!
Let me know if the guys at Peaksware need to contact me for information or anything "max@maximumtrainer.com"


Free Indoor Cycling Software - https://maximumtrainer.com
Quote Reply
Re: NP, IF, TSS - registered trademarks? [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If all Peaksware wants is attribution why didn't Strava use them? Strava made up their own metrics and it's totally annoying.
Quote Reply
Re: NP, IF, TSS - registered trademarks? [writhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
writhe wrote:
If all Peaksware wants is attribution why didn't Strava use them? Strava made up their own metrics and it's totally annoying.

Pure speculation (I am not a lawyer or a Strava or Peaksware employee) but...

- Strava maybe using a modified formula
- They are a direct competitor with a for fee product (GC, Garmin and others are free)
- They don't know, don't care to license
- Strava may have decided to use new terms as a differentiator (i.e. everyone uses TSS/NP/IF but ours is better)


Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: NP, IF, TSS - registered trademarks? [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
Pure speculation (I am not a lawyer or a Strava or Peaksware employee) but...

- Strava maybe using a modified formula
- They are a direct competitor with a for fee product (GC, Garmin and others are free)
- They don't know, don't care to license
- Strava may have decided to use new terms as a differentiator (i.e. everyone uses TSS/NP/IF but ours is better)

You may be right but it's still annoying!
Quote Reply
Re: NP, IF, TSS - registered trademarks? [writhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
writhe wrote:
rbuike wrote:
Pure speculation (I am not a lawyer or a Strava or Peaksware employee) but...

- Strava maybe using a modified formula
- They are a direct competitor with a for fee product (GC, Garmin and others are free)
- They don't know, don't care to license
- Strava may have decided to use new terms as a differentiator (i.e. everyone uses TSS/NP/IF but ours is better)


You may be right but it's still annoying!

So use TrainingPeaks ;)


Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: NP, IF, TSS - registered trademarks? [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
So use TrainingPeaks ;)

I do. But I also upload to Strava. I use TrainingPeaks for realz and Strava is just for fun. One thing that is cool about Strava is I can see how my time and/or power compares over time against a segment.
Quote Reply
Re: NP, IF, TSS - registered trademarks? [writhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
writhe wrote:
If all Peaksware wants is attribution why didn't Strava use them? Strava made up their own metrics and it's totally annoying.

Imitation is the sincerest form of thievery.
Quote Reply
Re: NP, IF, TSS - registered trademarks? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
writhe wrote:
If all Peaksware wants is attribution why didn't Strava use them? Strava made up their own metrics and it's totally annoying.


Imitation is the sincerest form of thievery.

Not flattery?


Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Strava
Classifieds FS | WTB
Quote Reply
Re: NP, IF, TSS - registered trademarks? [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jamaican wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:
writhe wrote:
If all Peaksware wants is attribution why didn't Strava use them? Strava made up their own metrics and it's totally annoying.


Imitation is the sincerest form of thievery.


Not flattery?





Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Strava
Classifieds FS | WTB
Quote Reply
Re: NP, IF, TSS - registered trademarks? [fruity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fruity wrote:
you would think that they wouldn't have a problem with maximumtrainer using their formulas considering that maximumtrainer is free software that promotes cycling and accessibility to all. Also, I never knew it was possible to trademark a name for a mathematical formula. someone should trademark the pythagorean theorem.


It's not possible to trademark or patent math, there's quite a bit of legal history on that.

Fwiw, I was introduced to and had a brief email exchange with Peaksware, and was greeted cordially about the usage of the terms, right up until I mentioned I intended to use them in a commercial context. I fully disclosed the project I was working on and the extent to which I planned to use the terms. I never heard back after that. I had the same experience with PhysFarm.

If you use Newton's law of universal gravitation, you could very well it 'GraviSmash!', and the consumer of your term can be informed that in fact, it's the same formula as used behind the law. I'd REALLY like it if Peaksware or Physfarm could jump in here and clear this all up. As fruity points out, attributing the terms to Peaksware or PhysFarm, etc does nothing to hurt their brand whatsoever, it does quite the opposite. Usage of trademark with attribution is advertising. Ideally I'd like to give the credit back to Coggan and Allen and encourage people to renumerate *them* through purchasing their book where TSS, IB, et al are introduced and discussed. That's putting the money where it belongs.
Last edited by: fisherman76: Oct 29, 14 11:01
Quote Reply
Re: NP, IF, TSS - registered trademarks? [fisherman76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The math isn't (and can't be) trademarked. The application of it can be. Abstract concept vs. practical application.

Quote:
"while an abstract idea, law of nature, or mathematical formula could not be patented, ‘an application of a law of nature or mathematical formula to a known structure or process may well be deserving of patent protection.’

Section II - B http://www.uspto.gov/.../pac/mpep/s2106.html


Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: NP, IF, TSS - registered trademarks? [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
The math isn't (and can't be) trademarked. The application of it can be. Abstract concept vs. practical application.

Quote:
"while an abstract idea, law of nature, or mathematical formula could not be patented, ‘an application of a law of nature or mathematical formula to a known structure or process may well be deserving of patent protection.’

Section II - B http://www.uspto.gov/.../pac/mpep/s2106.html

But it isn't patented. The terms are trademarked. The application of the math it is not patented either, and good luck trying to patent a computer program, it's pretty tough sledding.
Quote Reply
Re: NP, IF, TSS - registered trademarks? [fisherman76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyday I come across a situation or a conversation that has me thinking I should have been a lawyer :)


Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply

Prev Next