Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

NEW BIKE DAY: 2018/2019 Argon E119+ or 2019 Trek Speed Concept
Quote | Reply
Hi, considering an Argon 18 E119+ (2018 or 2019 model) for my next tri bike. I am currently on a 2012 Cervelo P3C which I will probably retire at the middle or end of this year.

May I ask the general group a few questions/clarifications?

- Ride comfort -- is the frame stiff or a bit flexible? I come from a country where roads aren't "the best" like in the US or Europe...
- Ease of Travel -- I plan to race abroad so how's travelling with it? Packing, Unpacking, Troubleshooting?
- Ease of Maintenance -- is the bike (generally) easy to clean, tune, maintain on your own? Adjusting brakes, etc.
- Feedback on the cockpit bearing -- I understand this has been an issue for some that when sweat hits this area, it's really prone to quick corrosion. Is the bike still worth it if a vital part like this gets corroded this easily?
- Cookie Jar or No Cookie Jar for 70.3? If none, may I know what you guys use to house spare parts and tubes for raceday?

I am also considering a Trek Speed Concept. If you've come from a Speed Concept and have ridden on both, I'd love to hear your thoughts to compare between the two bikes!

* Assume that price is not an issue
* Assume that I can fit into both perfectly fine given my measurements

Let's discuss!

P.S. I've searched every single forum topic pertaining to this but the replies I read did not satisfy my thirst for knowledge! Creating this new thread to open up a new discussion that is more recent than the ones posted prior.
Quote Reply
Re: NEW BIKE DAY: 2018/2019 Argon E119+ or 2019 Trek Speed Concept [meanred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 119, a P2 and a Plasma 3 and previously a BMCTM01

For the 119,

Ride comfort : very good. I live in Canada and the roads are pretty bad. I would say it's more comfortable than my previous BMC TM01 but that's hard to quantify. I have done many 5hr rides on it.

Ease of travel. Not bad. There are some stupid little things they could do to make it even easier. It takes me about 20minutes to unpack and 30 minutes to pack.

Ease of maintenance. Very easy. I am not mechanically inclined. I don't know how hard it is to get parts in your location. A SC would be easier for me to get parts since the targest Trek dealer is within 1km from me.

Cookie jar : you mean the box on the back ? I love it. Great for training. Can be removed in 2 seconds and replaced by a third bottle if wanted. Its aero neutral

Good aero numbers overall, but I know the SC does as well.

Given you are going from a P3, check fit coordinates. I would like my 119 to be a bit longer. I am 5'10 on a M

What country are you in ?
Last edited by: marcag: May 8, 19 4:28
Quote Reply
Re: NEW BIKE DAY: 2018/2019 Argon E119+ or 2019 Trek Speed Concept [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

For the 119,

Ride comfort : very good. I live in Canada and the roads are pretty bad. I would say it's more comfortable than my previous BMC TM01 but that's hard to quantify. I have done many 5hr rides on it.

Ease of travel. Not bad. There are some stupid little things they could do to make it even easier. It takes me about 20minutes to unpack and 30 minutes to pack.

Ease of maintenance. Very easy. I am not mechanically inclined. I don't know how hard it is to get parts in your location. A SC would be easier for me to get parts since the targest Trek dealer is within 1km from me.

Cookie jar : you mean the box on the back ? I love it. Great for training. Can be removed in 2 seconds and replaced by a third bottle if wanted. Its aero neutral

Given you are going from a P3, check fit coordinates. I would like my 119 to be a bit longer. I am 5'10 on a M

Thanks for the input! Really helpful!

We are exactly the same height and bike size. I didn't fit well on the Cervelo because my position preferred me to be a bit longer on the front where I'm more comfortable. Will this be another problem with the 119? If so, then I guess the Trek would be the better option because of its wide fit range...

I live in the Philippines. We have the worst roads (I'm sure we're worse than any part of Canada) here so I guess frame flex is an important factor to consider for me. Not a top priority but of course a comfier ride would be much better!
Quote Reply
Re: NEW BIKE DAY: 2018/2019 Argon E119+ or 2019 Trek Speed Concept [meanred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

meanred wrote:
marcag wrote:

For the 119,

Thanks for the input! Really helpful!

We are exactly the same height and bike size. I didn't fit well on the Cervelo because my position preferred me to be a bit longer on the front where I'm more comfortable. Will this be another problem with the 119? If so, then I guess the Trek would be the better option because of its wide fit range...

I live in the Philippines. We have the worst roads (I'm sure we're worse than any part of Canada) here so I guess frame flex is an important factor to consider for me. Not a top priority but of course a comfier ride would be much better!

If you send me your fit coordinates, as specifield in your ST profile (A,B,C,D.....) I can tell you very quickly if you can hit them, with room to move The 119 is pretty flexible.

A nice feature of the 119 I discovered last year was flipping the basebar around so the brakes/grips are higher when out of aero position. I have good drop (14cm) when in aero but I prefer a little less when out of aero navigating potholes :-)
Quote Reply