Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
NEW- best bike pump for race transition
Quote | Reply
Ok- I know this topic has come up many times, but like many of you my search for a great transition pump was never quite resolved, until now!
Electric pump with USB charging, 12.9 oz/366 g, 8 inches long, 2 1/4 inch dia, digital gauge, and auto shut off with selected pressure up to 120 psi. It even comes with a water bottle cage mount ! Price is about $ 49 on Amazon.
I tested this extensively before using at Oceanside and St George. Battery will last about 8-10 minutes of pumping, which is enough to fill from flat about 4 - 700c x 25 tires to 100 psi, or many top offs. It takes slightly under 2 minutes to fully inflate a flat tire (100 psi). It takes about 5-10 seconds to top off 5- 15 psi. I made multiple tests of the gauge, with my Topeak digital as the “standard. In all cases the Topeak measured within 1 psi (@ 100 psi) of the pumps gauge, with the Topeak always being the same or 1 psi lower. I attribute this difference to small pressure loss engaging and disengaging the gauges.
The auto shut off has worked perfectly every time. I have set my pump to 102 psi. The process is simple- 1) open presta valve 2) screw on schrader to presta adapter 3) attach pump head 4) press “on” button 5) wait a few seconds for pump to reach set pressure and turn itself off. DONE!
Important note- THIS PUMP WILL NOT WORK IF YOU USE TUBE STYLE PRESTA EXTENDERS. You have to use the supplied schrader to presta adapter, which screws directly on to the presta valve.

https://www.amazon.com/...tables/dp/B0798RZMHJ

Dozens of racers at Oceanside and St George asked where to get one as I was topping off my tires and several friends tires.
Super easy to stow in the supplied morning clothes bag, AND no pumping and struggling to read gauges in the dark (or without your readers!)
Quote Reply
Re: NEW- best bike pump for race transition [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use this one which is well-suited to disc wheels right out of the box. Pricey? Yes, but it helps me keep my transition bag and transition setup sparse and it also makes traveling to races easier as this pump is very, very small.

https://www.fumpapumps.com/shop/fumpa/
Last edited by: GreenPlease: May 11, 18 18:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks cool, but today it's $99 on Amazon. At least the one in the link is.

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Re: NEW- best bike pump for race transition [ironmanatee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmanatee wrote:
Looks cool, but today it's $99 on Amazon. At least the one in the link is.

Wow, that’s crazy. I bought mine March 28 for $49. A friend bought one 2 weeks later, also for $ 49.
Not sure why the price was doubled?? Maybe tariffs?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I now use the Silca Bluetooth pump to top off tires to correct pressure (as well as carry it instead of CO2 on training rides). It will even work on my HED Jet disc without a crack pipe.
Quote Reply
Re: NEW- best bike pump for race transition [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
I now use the Silca Bluetooth pump to top off tires to correct pressure (as well as carry it instead of CO2 on training rides). It will even work on my HED Jet disc without a crack pipe.

I took a good look at that. My only issue for race transitions is I NEVER take my cell phone. Can’t race with it, and I don’t trust leaving it in my morning cloths bag. With the Silca, no phone = no gauge, which for me = no go!
Could luck with pumping up a full tire from flat with a small mini pump- the Silca is a good one, but 200 plus strokes on a mini pump is never fun- I would definitely use a CO2 :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it work with discs without the crackpipe?
Quote Reply
Re: NEW- best bike pump for race transition [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I use this one which is well-suited to disc wheels right out of the box. Pricey? Yes, but it helps me keep my transition bag and transition setup sparse and it also makes traveling to races easier as this pump is very, very small.

Did you intend to post a link to something? Or you are using the same one as the OP?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
Ok- I know this topic has come up many times, but like many of you my search for a great transition pump was never quite resolved, until now!
Electric pump with USB charging, 12.9 oz/366 g, 8 inches long, 2 1/4 inch dia, digital gauge, and auto shut off with selected pressure up to 120 psi. It even comes with a water bottle cage mount ! Price is about $ 49 on Amazon.
I tested this extensively before using at Oceanside and St George. Battery will last about 8-10 minutes of pumping, which is enough to fill from flat about 4 - 700c x 25 tires to 100 psi, or many top offs. It takes slightly under 2 minutes to fully inflate a flat tire (100 psi). It takes about 5-10 seconds to top off 5- 15 psi. I made multiple tests of the gauge, with my Topeak digital as the “standard. In all cases the Topeak measured within 1 psi (@ 100 psi) of the pumps gauge, with the Topeak always being the same or 1 psi lower. I attribute this difference to small pressure loss engaging and disengaging the gauges.
The auto shut off has worked perfectly every time. I have set my pump to 102 psi. The process is simple- 1) open presta valve 2) screw on schrader to presta adapter 3) attach pump head 4) press “on” button 5) wait a few seconds for pump to reach set pressure and turn itself off. DONE!
Important note- THIS PUMP WILL NOT WORK IF YOU USE TUBE STYLE PRESTA EXTENDERS. You have to use the supplied schrader to presta adapter, which screws directly on to the presta valve.

Dozens of racers at Oceanside and St George asked where to get one as I was topping off my tires and several friends tires.
Super easy to stow in the supplied morning clothes bag, AND no pumping and struggling to read gauges in the dark (or without your readers!)

Oh this is sweet if it works. I might have to pick one up and do some testing of my own. Thanks for the suggestion. Regardless of whether it work to my liking for tri, this is a definite yes for my commuter bike / slash training bike with baskets, and rear rack.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: NEW- best bike pump for race transition [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My bad. Here it is and I’ll insert the link into my first post:

Quote Reply
Re: NEW- best bike pump for race transition [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take a look at the Fumpa I posted a link to. Perfect for race day. At road pressures I think it’s more accurate than the stated +/- 3%.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Take a look at the Fumpa I posted a link to. Perfect for race day. At road pressures I think it’s more accurate than the stated +/- 3%.

Love it but I think it needs a new name. Would also love to see Josh get into the space with some accuracy and precision and a compressor... the bluetooth readout is nice but not super handy imho.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: NEW- best bike pump for race transition [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:

The pump head is very similar to a disk crackpipe, except it has a locking lever on top of the head. You would need enough space above the presta valve for this lever (which could be shortened), or have enough play in the valve to lean it forward.
On a side note- I honestly do not understand with all the data that is out there why anyone is still riding a disk in triathlon. There main benefit is in point to point high speed (30 + mph) time trials, and even then the benefit is only a few seconds over 40k in high yaw wind conditions :-) That is a whole other thread that would be highly entertaining!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
KingMidas wrote:

The pump head is very similar to a disk crackpipe, except it has a locking lever on top of the head. You would need enough space above the presta valve for this lever (which could be shortened), or have enough play in the valve to lean it forward.
On a side note- I honestly do not understand with all the data that is out there why anyone is still riding a disk in triathlon. There main benefit is in point to point high speed (30 + mph) time trials, and even then the benefit is only a few seconds over 40k in high yaw wind conditions :-) That is a whole other thread that would be highly entertaining!
I can't understand why someone would choose to use the fastest wheel available to them either? Wow just wow!!!
Quote Reply
Re: NEW- best bike pump for race transition [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I can't understand why someone would choose to use the fastest wheel available to them either? Wow just wow!!![/quote]
So, you are doing all of your races in a wind tunnel, at 15-20 degrees of yaw, with 30 mph wind.
Interesting- where exactly do you find these races? Wow, just wow !!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

Cool, thanks. I guessed this is what it was based on your description. The Amazon generic ones are cheaper, but having the built in presta adapter sounds awfully nice. The head on this thing fits on disc wheels no trouble?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Last edited by: ericlambi: May 12, 18 3:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

Cool, thanks. I guessed this is what it was based on your description. The Amazon generic ones are cheaper, but having the built in presta adapter sounds awfully nice. The head on this thing fits on disc wheels no trouble?

Yes. It’s pricey but super convenient race morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:

Maybe I'm just getting old but I have never had any issue topping off my tires with a simple manual track pump. When I flat a CO2 cartridge always has done the trick. Now don't get me wrong, I love technology (I use ETap, power meters, cycling computers, etc.) but this just looks like a solution looking for a problem.
Quote Reply
Re: NEW- best bike pump for race transition [Nolegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just about to say the same thing
I use an electric pump for my car, because a foot pump is a PITA but for a bike? A track pump is a nice light warm up ;) with an added advantage of no batteries to charge

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are you getting that data?

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nolegs wrote:
IntenseOne wrote:

Maybe I'm just getting old but I have never had any issue topping off my tires with a simple manual track pump. When I flat a CO2 cartridge always has done the trick. Now don't get me wrong, I love technology (I use ETap, power meters, cycling computers, etc.) but this just looks like a solution looking for a problem.

The problem is I don’t want to carry a floor pump. It’s huge.
Quote Reply
Re: NEW- best bike pump for race transition [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I don’t carry one either. I keep my floor pump in the car where I inflate my bike and then walk it into transition.
Last edited by: Nolegs: May 12, 18 6:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nolegs wrote:
I don’t carry one either. I keep my floor pump in the car where I inflate my bike and then walk it into transition.

Many races have mandatory bike checkin the day before so that’s not an option. But on the days where u can check in on same day, I just pump at home and take my bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice! Thanks for the link

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

I also have a fumpa pump. They make 2 flavors, a smaller one with no gauge, and a bigger one that includes a gauge. I have the smaller one. Compared to the amazon pump, the Fumpa will fill a tire about twice as fast, but it is also twice as loud, as in VERY loud! The Fumpa battery will only last for 2 tires before it needs recharging. I doubt you would be able to use a Fumpa on a disk, as you would need at least 3.5 inches of clearance above your presta valve to get the Fumpa pump head on and off. It was designed specifically as an alternative to CO2. Because of the gauge, and auto shut off, I find the Amazon pump much more useful.
Quote Reply

Prev Next