Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

NEW: Silca $165 super wax
Quote | Reply
Let the popcorn gallery commence:

SILCA HOT WAX X $165

The ultimate in Marginal Gains for when all out speed is the priority. Partnering with the Nobel Prize winning scientists who discovered graphene, we are the only company certified to be using Nanene® in chain wax.

https://silca.cc/...A5uXzDIs7GqOD.TyxFvj
Quote Reply
Re: NEW: Silca $165 super wax [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The last couple of years in most of my hobbies it seems companies have asked "what price is too high for a 'halo' product." And in general it seems like the answer is always lower than the price they put on said products.

I always think products that push the bleeding edge of (today's) tech is exciting, and generally you need the high price to offset the relatively small market, so I say kudos. That said... I'll stick to gulf wax and a tiny bit of graphene mixed in myself.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love what Josh is doing. I probably won't drop the cash on such a product, but could see spending bigger on a pre-treated race chain with this stuff on it, for Michelle's (my wife) biggest races.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: NEW: Silca $165 super wax [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
The last couple of years in most of my hobbies it seems companies have asked "what price is too high for a 'halo' product." And in general it seems like the answer is always lower than the price they put on said products.

I always think products that push the bleeding edge of (today's) tech is exciting, and generally you need the high price to offset the relatively small market, so I say kudos. That said... I'll stick to gulf wax and a tiny bit of graphene mixed in myself.

This is a very real pricing tactic, I believe it's called 'price framing'. You set your products on a shelf (chain lubes):

Standard: $10
Deluxe: $40
Premium: $60
Super: $80
Ultra: $160

All of of a sudden the previously obscene $60 and $80 lubes seem like something of a bargain.
Quote Reply
Re: NEW: Silca $165 super wax [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's how i felt with the new pump. Only $149? That's a lot less than i spent on my silca digital pump. That's a bargain.

That new pump does seem pretty cool though. If i didn't already have a silca pump I'd be very interested. Not sure about the chuck though, but i could replace it with a Hiro if needed.

The Eolo iv is the most tempting purchase for me. I have a PDW Shiny Object inflator in the saddle bag of my main bike and love how it works. I need another inflator for my other bike, and that new Eolo IV looks like it should perform similar to the PDW at a similar price.
Quote Reply
Re: NEW: Silca $165 super wax [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I have sticker shock, admittedly if I race the Project Echelon boys to the US hour record, I’ll probably buy a tub of this for each an every .5 watt that I could potentially save.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That looks like a makeup tin. If I rub a little bit Hot Wax X behind my ears before date night, will I drive my woman crazy??
Last edited by: trail: Nov 22, 22 11:24
Quote Reply
Re: NEW: Silca $165 super wax [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do we get folks to spend $8000-10000 on bikes?

Sell a flagship model at $14,000.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just get some MSW, same stuff. It's not going to make a difference to anyone here unless your name is Gustav or Kristian. The differences will be so minute--unless you like spending more $$, no matter what the "marketing" says.
Quote Reply
Re: NEW: Silca $165 super wax [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
That looks like a makeup tin. If I rub a little bit Hot Wax X behind my ears before date night, will I drive my woman crazy??

It’ll work 60% of the time every time.
Quote Reply
Re: NEW: Silca $165 super wax [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You realize you're saying that to one of the most knowledgeable people on this site, right? And arguably one of the few people with a legitimate reason to push margins with products like this.
Quote Reply
Re: NEW: Silca $165 super wax [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Just get some MSW, same stuff. It's not going to make a difference to anyone here unless your name is Gustav or Kristian. The differences will be so minute--unless you like spending more $$, no matter what the "marketing" says.

Have Kristian or Gustav had a race where 0.5W could've made or broke their race?

I think these products are cool even if I'll never buy them. As long as it doesn't drive up the price of other products, I don't mind the introduction of a higher priced one. Just as a $1M Ferrari doesn't offend me or lower my excitement about affordable sports cars.
Quote Reply
Re: NEW: Silca $165 super wax [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
trail wrote:

It’ll work 60% of the time every time.

This is right up your alley! Sex Panther Officially Licensed from Anchorman (1.7 oz) https://a.co/d/diakky7

It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.
Last edited by: Ohio_Roadie: Nov 22, 22 22:33
Quote Reply
Re: NEW: Silca $165 super wax [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Replied to the thread in general, not OP. Comment was for readers. You won’t know the difference feel or otherwise between the $165 stuff, less expensive MSW (or Silica) or paraffin. Measure-able by test equipment sure, on the race course it’s such a tiny fraction you won’t notice. just saying, spend if you want—the improvements are in large from wax vs typical lube. Even the MSW “speed powder” is a marketing hoopla from my experience in using it. I would say either MSW or Silica are really no different from each other in real world riding, and excellent products. I won’t go back to lube again for road riding/racing.
Quote Reply
Re: NEW: Silca $165 super wax [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you've blown the budget AND you've not put chain wax on the chain, almost certainly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m typically all about marginal gains and have more silca products in my home than I know what to do with. But a .5 watt savings isn’t enough for me to buy this over their secret blend. And that’s ok. If I was going for an hour record or riding a TT stage in a world tour, I would probably feel differently.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Nov 23, 22 13:46
Quote Reply
Re: NEW: Silca $165 super wax [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey now, Silca just sent me a 15% coupon. Only $140 for .5W at that rate.
Last edited by: Ohio_Roadie: Nov 23, 22 13:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
Hey now, Silca just sent me a 15% coupon. Only $140 for .5W at that rate.

In their specs section for their Hot Wax X, Silca’s claim is up to 12w.

It’s .5w over their Secret Chain blend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
While I have sticker shock, admittedly if I race the Project Echelon boys to the US hour record, I’ll probably buy a tub of this for each an every .5 watt that I could potentially save.

Not sure I’d buy for 0.5 (since that feels small enough that I couldn’t text the difference), but if it was demonstrable improvement then in with you - for sure … spend it every time
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hard pass on this one... I chain wax and there are simply a lot less expensive alternatives that do the job well for a lot less... I thought the AbsoluteBlack was a little spendy... Silca says hold my beer and move over Ceramic Speed!
Quote Reply