Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
NC gets an independent 140.6/70.3
Quote | Reply
Looks like us east coasters are gonna have another independent full/half option!

https://crystalcoasttri.com

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: NC gets an independent 140.6/70.3 [msaad7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
msaad7 wrote:
Looks like us east coasters are gonna have another independent full/half option!

https://crystalcoasttri.com

Thoughts?

I saw that email a little while ago. It's early in the season, so that water is prob going to be chilly. I'm not familiar with that area, but I bet the bike could be quite windy if it is anything like Okracoke or the other OBX areas. It is touted as flat and fast, though.

"Support Local" :)

Hope it does well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope they trade marked full booty and half booty !

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: NC gets an independent 140.6/70.3 [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wetsuit swim for sure. Windy- yes

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw this race earlier and was interested but it’s on Mother’s Day. I would have done this race if it was on a different date.

In May, it will most likely be pretty windy on the Outer Banks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mean how awesome could the swag be? half booty, full booty! who doesn't love all booty? yeah mothers day is a show stopper for me. fathers day, in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Independent race. Yes. Will put it on the list. Chilly swim? Windy? Whatever. Could be fun. The more independent races the better
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This looks really cool, and hopefully a better bike and run course than the Outer Banks Half.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perfect! I need to go visit family anyway
Quote Reply
Re: NC gets an independent 140.6/70.3 [Gskalt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, Mother's day is kind of a bad weekend for this...unless there's an all day spa somewhere in the area.
Quote Reply
Re: NC gets an independent 140.6/70.3 [wil223434] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wil223434 wrote:
I saw this race earlier and was interested but it’s on Mother’s Day. I would have done this race if it was on a different date.

In May, it will most likely be pretty windy on the Outer Banks.

I got a lot of junk for doing AOMM this year, day after Mother's Day on Monday since I had to leave that afternoon to travel out. Not a good day for racing for folks with family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really wanted to do B2B before IM took over, but got injured both times...I'm soooo in for this!
Quote Reply
Re: NC gets an independent 140.6/70.3 [smartyiak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They got an 11 foot lemon shark in taylor creek by the bridge just north of that museum.

Wonder how many bulls/lemons they havent caught
Quote Reply
Re: NC gets an independent 140.6/70.3 [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you look at ocearch.com, there's a few (tagged) tiger and great whites that last pinged in that area. not sure what it looks like in may.
Last edited by: d00d: Aug 9, 18 12:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
if you look at ocearch.com, there's a few (tagged) tiger and great whites that last pinged in that area. not sure what it looks like in may.

Just don't be the slowest swimmer!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: NC gets an independent 140.6/70.3 [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
d00d wrote:

Just don't be the slowest swimmer!

meh, my approach is to not look like a fat, little seal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw that a few weeks ago, already penciled it in.

One of the owners of FSseries is a new dad, another has a family, some if not most of the crew that works for them are wives or they have wives/kids/GF's with kids. While Mother's Day weekend isn't ideal, who knows what other constraints they were against with the city/county/gov't orgs that they needed to go through to secure permits.

Better Mother's Day than not at all.

Having helped them at numerous races and having raced with them numerous times I'm looking forward to racing this.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: NC gets an independent 140.6/70.3 [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

If you've ever been in the ocean then I guarantee you've been closer to more sharks than you have any idea. Just don't float around looking like a seal :)

Twinkie wrote:
They got an 11 foot lemon shark in taylor creek by the bridge just north of that museum.

Wonder how many bulls/lemons they havent caught
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I grew up in NC and spent many summers working at camp down in that area. I'm a little surprised by the map for the bike course. It will be flat for sure. But it does go through a few very busy areas in the Morehead City area that will require a substantial number of intersections to be controlled. That Highway 70 is very busy up to Havelock. May is not peak vacation season yet, but this area is heavy with beach homes in the Atlantic Beach / Emerald Isle areas. For those not familiar with the area, it is not anywhere close to Wilmington where Beach2Battleship was. It is also not really on any of the Outer Banks. Beaufort is a really cool little town with lots of charm and character. It's a small fishing and tourist town, not too unlike the area where IM Maryland is held.

Good news - it is an independent and we need more of those. There will be tons of homes or condos available to rent. Seafood aplenty and great beaches nearby for the family.

Downside - it's a little hard to get to. If you aren't in driving distance you would probably fly in to Raleigh and drive 2.5 hours east. It will be very interesting to see how they manage safety on the bike. There are lots of vacationers and also lots of military traffic around. The biggest Marine base in the U.S. is in that area, as are a Coast Guard station and a Marine Air Station.

If you plan on going I'd really be diligent about checking on the bike safety piece, making sure its not like a HITS race with uncontrolled intersections where racers basically have to stop at red lights and stop signs. The destination itself will be lovely and I hope it does well.

-Doug

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lived in Beaufort for a couple of years. The swim is in the very shallow sound and won't be particularly cold. wetsuits sure, but not too cold. The bike course is mostly protected (i.e not through open salt marsh like IMMD) so probably not especially windy, though there are some fairly developed sections through Morehead City and Havelock. The run will be dead flat and likely not much crowd support aside from the section through "downtown" Beaufort. It's a very seasonal place so not much aside from locals around in early May. All that said, I'm definitely in for the 1/2 and looking forward to racing in a former home town.
Last edited by: TH3_FRB: Aug 9, 18 12:44
Quote Reply
Re: NC gets an independent 140.6/70.3 [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand the tides had a factor in the date.
Quote Reply
Re: NC gets an independent 140.6/70.3 [triguy1956] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm I may have to email Biggs and make sure a significant portion of the swim is against the current. No more mostly to all downstream wuss swims like NC 70.3, CHOO 70.3/IM, Louisville IM, Augusta 70.3 and I'm quite sure I'm forgetting a few WTC races with downstream swims.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I remember correctly they stated it was being held at slack tide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Hmm I may have to email Biggs and make sure a significant portion of the swim is against the current. No more mostly to all downstream wuss swims like NC 70.3, CHOO 70.3/IM, Louisville IM, Augusta 70.3 and I'm quite sure I'm forgetting a few WTC races with downstream swims.

Well shit. All I need is NC 70.3 to run the wuss swim table.
Quote Reply
Re: NC gets an independent 140.6/70.3 [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:
desert dude wrote:

Well shit. All I need is NC 70.3 to run the wuss swim table.

LOL!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply

Prev Next