Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
NB 920 vs. Nike Air Kakuni
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at shoes for IM Florida. I need something that will drain water as I use sponges at every water stop and have found that your typical marathon shoe will end up feeling like combat boots after a few miles-so heavy.

Has anyone had any luck with either of the above shoes or something else? I have some old Asics tri shoes with the cutouts but they are shot....

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: NB 920 vs. Nike Air Kakuni [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adidas A3 Climacools

Quote Reply
Re: NB 920 vs. Nike Air Kakuni [Marlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just looked at those online, but I don't understand what makes them drain water better. The ad suggests they are cooler, but they look like they will hold water. Why do you like them? I'm a neutral runner so I think those might work if they aren't stiff with tons of motion control features (which I loathe).

Thanks for the help!

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't tried the Kukini's because my local stores don't carry them but a friend did IMUSA in them and raved endlessly. For whatever that's worth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Air Kakuni's are awesome. I have done everything up to 1/2 IM so I can't tell you about a full but they have cushion for a flat, and if you sweat heavily like I do and pour water and/or sponge yourself you will definitely appreciate this shoe. They are light and stay light!
Quote Reply
Re: NB 920 vs. Nike Air Kakuni [T2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How heavy are you? Do you have any pronation/supination problems or other foot issues? I'm 6', but down to a truly scarecrowish, for me, 170 lbs. I wouldn't want to have any foot issues to creep in during the last half of the marathon.

-Robert

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'11'' and 175lb. I've gone up to 12 mi in my Kukinis in training and I love them. I've got no motion control issues and, like you, I hate all that crap on most shoes.

They are light and the ride is smooth. I run in FL and dunk myself with water and I never realized how much ended up in my shoes until I ran in these.

I'm not a Nike fan, but I love these shoes. Get the yellow ones. :-)

matt

"When I cleaned up my diction, I had nothing left to say" -- Van Morrison
Quote Reply
Re: NB 920 vs. Nike Air Kakuni [Matt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahhhh - and the next question - can anybody find a pair out there???

I've gone to three running stores, and they all are sold out and have told me Nike discontinued the model

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Animal!!!
Quote Reply
Re: NB 920 vs. Nike Air Kakuni [blinky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.roadrunnersports.com/...gmhmlbekgcgecfeedg.0

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SWEET - Thanks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Animal!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Florida! I'm in Orlando and when I come in from a training run, without sponges, my shoes are SOAKED. I weighed one of my Asics shoes after a run last week and it weighed 19 oz. Starting weight = 12 oz. That's almost half a pound of water. That is significant weight to be schlepping around a marathon after 112 miles on the bike and 2.4 miles of swimming.

I don't think I've seen the ideal shoe yet for the IM, but it this Kukini looks pretty good.

-Robert

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you run on asphalt?

Take a close look at the picture of the sole of the shoe. See those open spots? Those breath right through - the only thing between you and the road in those spots is the insole.

It's not a problem for ride since that spot never hits the ground, of course.

But man the asphalt is hot here in the afternoon in Jax, and you can really feel that through the shoes. It's not a huge problem, especially with cooler weather coming up (HA!) but then again I have not stayed on them any longer than maybe 90 min.

Something to consider. It would not stop me from buying them, especially if your IM is the GFT or IM FL where I suppose it would not be quite as hot as it is now.

matt

"When I cleaned up my diction, I had nothing left to say" -- Van Morrison
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have anything but perfect form the Kukini's aren't for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you looked at the Pearl Izumi SLR race flat? These are great at shedding water, but not a lot of cushion or support. But if you don't have any biomechanical problems they may work well for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I do run on asphalt, but in the a.m. IM Florida is a very hot, humid run on asphalt and concrete sidewalks. However, my feet tolerate the heat well, so I don't think that will be a problem.

-Robert

Quote Reply
Re: NB 920 vs. Nike Air Kakuni [lajollaseal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is exactly what the owner of my local shoe store told me. I'm pretty neutral, but I like a little cushioning. On the other hand :) I also don't like a heavy shoe. Sheezh....

-Robert

Quote Reply
Re: NB 920 vs. Nike Air Kakuni [danielito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried them on and thought they'd be great for a race of Half IM length or less. They felt as though I was running almost bare-footed. (Note to self: You ran Junior Olympics bare-footed on a cinder track. Have you become a wimp?) Also, they look as though they'd last for ONE race. I would like to be able to use them for 4 or 5 races if possible. $90 is a lot of money for a pair of shoes for one race.

-Robert

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I gave them a shot at the local NikeTown. I didn't like the feel, though that's a very subjective thing. I felt that they were too high off the ground and that I could feel the individual "cleat-ish" contact points on the sole. I'd prefer a more consistently flat sole, I guess. FWIW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been training on Air Kukinis for three months now. I actually wasn't sold on them at first because Nike is so prone to gimmickry (Sock Racer anyone?), but I keep coming back to them for nearly all my training runs and they're working out great. I've done up to 2 hrs. 15 min. in the hills with these shoes so far and see no reason I couldn't run up to three hours in training or use them for a marathon race. I have even tried them in the rain, knowing water could get in from underneath, but they have been fine.

I'm no lightweight, but I do have no mechanical issues with my stride and hate motion control shoes.

I found the really flexy forefoot odd at first, but now that I've gotten used to it I rather like it. One added bonus is great traction.

I don't find them particularly light, nor do they feel that 'fast' to me, so I'll still do shorter races in proper racing flats.
Quote Reply
Re: NB 920 vs. Nike Air Kakuni [itchyghost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Similar to the Kukini are the new Nike Spiridon. I have a pair and love them for short races up to 10k. I also have an older adidas clima cool model which I use very seldom. They have holes in their soles but I'm not quite sure if this works as planned.

regards,

Frank

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robert,

i ran a marathon in may and suffered the lead-foot syndrome as my shoes utilized water, sweat and gravity to my disadvantage. i purchased the Kakuni for the specific purpose of draining water, plus the added bonus of being a bit cooler.

i run a lot of 5k's as well, and don't consider foot temperature as big a concern in the short races, but in the marathon it would definately be a luxery.

in my opinion the verdict is still out on the Kakuni. i'm 6'1" and weight between 165-170, with no motion control problems. while the Kakuni may serve me in the shorter distances, i'm not quite sure i'd want to spend 26 miles in it. reason: the breaks in the sole that allow for air [and water] to pass creates pressure points on my foot that i find a bit uncomfortable. i'm afraid that in long races this could blister up badly.

i have listened to triathletes rave the shoes, however, i've not cross-examined them to the extent that i've learned their actual racing experience and diversity.

one note: i did try these things without socks, foolishly, in a sprint event. i'll never do that again.

my bottom line::::
short races - ok
half M to M - not sure, but probably not.

good luck
sv-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a NB 920. I wear it for olympic distance races. But for half and full IM I use a more cushioned shoe (Mizuno Mercury).

Normally I also use a lot of water and my shoes are totally wet after the run. But I never had a feeling like I wore "combat boots".

Felix

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply
Re: NB 920 vs. Nike Air Kakuni [sidvicious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well....I bought a pair of Kukini shoes from RoadRunner this a.m. I'll wear them on the treadmill with some socks next week and report back. If they don't work out maybe one of their fans will want mine. :),

The concept of the shoe is quite good. I.e., especially the notion that water drainage is a benefit. In Nike's testing they found that shoes could hold as much as 12 oz of water. So, if you start out with a 12 oz pair of size 12s you actually could be running part of the IM marathon in a pair of 24 oz size 12s!! My Escali scale registered a 7 oz difference before and after, but that is still quite a bit of weight when your legs are already toast.

If these don't work out I'll give the NB 920 a shot.

-Robert

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'3" 185 and totally love them. I am a neutral runner. I finally broke the 40 minute barrier in an Oly race wearing these. Like someone else wrote, my previous running shoes had 7-8 oz added by the end or a race. I forget what the saying is about an oz on your foot equates to...

At any rate I like the ride on these shoes. It is pretty amazing how much cushion they actually have and can remain that light.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Robert;

I used Kukini's at an Oly and at a 1/2 IM. I found that I liked them but I'm not sure I'd consider a full marathon in them. Great at the Oly - no problems. And I really liked them for the 1/2 - it was in Kona, so hot and I was dumping buckets of water over me and they drained well. Could feel the heat a bit through the soles (the Alai asphalt kicks heat right back up). But, as mentioned above, not sure they offer enough for a full IM run. I am about 165lbs and found that around 12 miles, I did seem to feel like some extra cushioning would be nice. It wasn't painful, but I felt that another 5 miles might have been pushing it...let alone another 14. Also, I recall that IM Florida has dirt paths for a good chunk of the run...if there is loose sand, pebbles or acorns these can actually get in between the vent holes in the bottom of the sole. So, try it on similar conditions.

If its any indication, as said above I like dthem for the Oly and the 1/2 IM....but I choose to wear other running shoes for each of my full Ironmans this year.

Good luck at Panama City!

Alan
Quote Reply

Prev Next