Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
NBC Show
Quote | Reply
I think some new records might be broken with this one...Geeeezzzuuuusssss......
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Show [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DAng.... I can't see it, I'm at work. What's the story?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Last edited by: Tom Demerly: Dec 9, 06 14:11
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Show [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just feel it's worse than usual...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh. Hmmm. In that case I'm glad I didn't see it. Is it a lot of fluffy, human interst froo-froo?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

I'll summarize. Lots of people swim, then they ride a bike, then they run a marathon (but you don't get to see much of that). There are stories about people pulling their sons in boats, female adventure racing firefighters, US Army soliders, and some other things I forgot. Some dude is doing a monotone voice over, there is a surprising amount of footage from last year and prior years. Eventually 1h 45-50min later they show some dude and dudette crossing the lines as winners then 1798 other people crossing the line in vaious places. There are a few shots of the islands, some commercials staring Kermit the frog and a Ford Escape. Now and then there is a bit of racing coverage.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Dec 9, 06 14:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Oh. Hmmm. In that case I'm glad I didn't see it. Is it a lot of fluffy, human interst froo-froo?

Man... all you cold-hearted dudes... why the hate?

Or is it just macho to act like you hate it ;-)

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Re: NBC Show [IronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"As always, there is sportsmanship and respect"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No hate, but when I watch triathlon on tv, i prefer to see lots of racing. Many cable programs/networks do a much better job than NBC at actually showing racing.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Call it what you will, but I still wiped a few tears away.
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Show [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just happy that NBC is showing it - they don't have to. They are playing/tailoring the show to the non-triathletes...just trying to get the most viewers, etc. It's all about money....sadly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, Desert Dude, you're right...pretty ho-hum. Ford and NBC spend millions of dollars to showcase our sport to millions of people - while spinning some human interest stories that highlight how our sport is the most inclusive there is - and you get nothing more than a 90 minutes of tripe...I suppose that's 90 minutes of your life you'll never get back.

For me, it's 90 minutes of motivation during the off season. Some people use GU, PowerGel...give me solid dose of tripe all day long...I'm energized, motivated and ready to get back at it...

Just tryin' to be the best at exercising...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't get me wrong- the Marc Herraman and Dick and Rick Hoyt stories are among my favorites. I also remember a Lynn Brooks interview that I loved since I am a big fan of her. I like those stories, especially when done well. I just want balance between that and race coverage.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"As always, there is sportsmanship and respect"
That was pretty funny, wasn't it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Willie Nelson's manager??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is so good this year that I am already on Slowtwitch. I was really hoping that with an extra 30 minutes they would focus on the actual race and the pro's more. I hate seeing the first and second place women finish then skipping to 10th place. I think that Lisa finishing 3rd is pretty big and should be shown. They showed the first three men and only the first two women. What the hell is up with that. This could be the most fluff and worst year yet. Very disappointing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another pearl from Al Earwig: "Lava sounds hot...and it is."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about giving Robyn Benyncasa (sp), a well paid professional athlete, more attention than almost all the triathlon pros combined? Simply ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I just feel it's worse than usual..."

Sorry I guess not all of us are professional triathlon coaches that spend most of our free time in forums. At the same I personally (and I bet several other people) think that this is good show for the masses and encourage the growth of the sport even more. Or a show which yes can be a bit sappy but I bet will inspire several thousand people and make them believe they can do something so amazing as participating and finishing an IM.

But then again that's just me...
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Show [DaveGA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's be honest. IM on NBC is just used to fulfill a saturday afternoon that is vacated by college football starting its bowl season. If there were interesting bowl games scheduled for today, IM would not be on TV.

As for the other stuff. It's the SAME complaints year after year. NBC can't make non-interested viewers interested in the race itself. The race itself is boring. Even the *close* finishes in actuality aren't really even that close when viewing the race highlights. People compare the triathlon race to other events they watch, and the only real appeal to mosy viewers are the obstacles overcame by the racers. The triathletes themselves aren't really all that appealling to the viewers because of the commonality of their backgrounds.

This sport, unlike other sports people like to watch, is more about the doing, not the spectating. Maybe college football will change its format and have bowl games every saturday afternoon in december, or something like World Series of Poker, Dart championships, college basketball, golf, etc will replace the IM on NBC show so that triathletes don't have to suffer through the presentation.

If I did not enjoy the presentation or it made me frustrated, I wouldn't watch. I already know who won, and their time, and the time desparity, and there was an presentation that featured 17 hours of FREE race presentation. So, I don't see the big deal. I forgot about the presentation, caught it halfway through, and don't really feel like I missed out on much.

Americans would have probably enjoyed the Stadler-Macca bitchfest that took place after the race and the next day. They could have showed that.

I think the "non-spectator" parts of this fantastic sport/event, make it virtually impossible to make highly interesting for TV viewership. It's just too long and slow-moving of an event.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Last edited by: TripleThreat: Dec 9, 06 14:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Robyn isn't very well paid.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give me a break, Tom. She makes more money out of adventure racing that most top-10 pros.
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Show [DaveGA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Willie Nelson's manager??[/reply]

Actually, I'd rather see guys like that tell their little story than the disease of the week. I also didn't mind Robyn Benicasa, because that chick is BUFF and SOLID, but she can move. She qualified, no lottery spot, no special interest. David Roselle and Tricia Downing, the blind guy were also good stories. The rest, no.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Last edited by: ironclm: Dec 9, 06 14:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geez, folks, why all the bitterness? At least they're not showing professional poker.
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Show [BillyJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a bitter old man... I am irritated and annoyed here... just call me Scrooge McPaulo.
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Show [BillyJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Geez, folks, why all the bitterness? At least they're not showing professional poker.[/reply]

It's called an opinon. We all get one.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next