Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
NA beer: I rolled my eyes for over a year…now I’m eating crow
Quote | Reply
So I spent the better part of a year rolling my eyes at all the social media posts of athletes drinking NA beer. “Can’t you just drink real beer less often?” I would say. Of course you could. But my wife and I finally ordered some athletic brewing after trying some at a couple of 70.3s, and we’re hooked. Turns out, there are lots of scenarios where I want a drink other than water but don’t want alcohol. For example:
1. I’m on call (physician). Can’t I just not drink til I’m off call? Yea. But having this option has been nice.
2. I find it MUCH easier to have just 1 drink, as there is no buzz to chase. And no chance of having that 1 too many that’ll hurt my early morning workout.
3. I find myself having a 60-75 calorie NA beer instead of a 300-400 calorie dessert.

They’re certainly not as tasty as a craft IPA (I’m very into real craft beer). Not close. But for 1/3 of the calories and no alcohol I’m really enjoying them.
Quote Reply
Re: NA beer: I rolled my eyes for over a year…now I’m eating crow [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome to the club! The hype is only going to increase over the coming years , I believe we are going to get very close to good craft beer, I’m a former craft beer nerd too and have had many of the white whales of craft beer , athletic is showing that the technology and demand is there

It’s just a smart business decision right now for craft brewers to make a splash in NAs , you can tap into national demand way outside of your local market

Try some of the stuff Untitled Art is putting out, they are a recent fave of mine
Quote Reply
Re: NA beer: I rolled my eyes for over a year…now I’m eating crow [vyvyvy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
will do. thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: NA beer: I rolled my eyes for over a year…now I’m eating crow [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just drink a diet coke.
Last edited by: jimatbeyond: Jul 3, 22 8:10
Quote Reply
Re: NA beer: I rolled my eyes for over a year…now I’m eating crow [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a soft drink fan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I quit beer and coffee two years ago in an effort to fix some heart issues. It didn’t help but I stayed off the beer because I don’t miss it. I like pounding a couple of the cheapest possible na beers because I find them refreshing. The more expensive ones are too bitter for my tastes. Coffee is back though…
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I’m about to get some athletic brewing beers. Had a bit of an epiphany 6 weeks back when the button popped off my work trousers and have been alcohol free since. Agree with the above post that it gives you a beer hit without chasing that ‘feeling’. For the past six years since my last Ironman I’ve been well and truly slipping into middle aged life - little exercise, poor diet and just going through the motions. I’m a NA beer convict too and am back training. Up and at them at 6am today when I’d usually get up with a stinking hangover at midday.

None of this is ground breaking of course, we all know it, but as someone who was no doubt addicted to booze it has been a revelation. Will get over to the order page now in fact…
Quote Reply
Re: NA beer: I rolled my eyes for over a year…now I’m eating crow [Ironmike78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironmike78 wrote:
So I’m about to get some athletic brewing beers. Had a bit of an epiphany 6 weeks back when the button popped off my work trousers and have been alcohol free since. Agree with the above post that it gives you a beer hit without chasing that ‘feeling’. For the past six years since my last Ironman I’ve been well and truly slipping into middle aged life - little exercise, poor diet and just going through the motions. I’m a NA beer convict too and am back training. Up and at them at 6am today when I’d usually get up with a stinking hangover at midday.

None of this is ground breaking of course, we all know it, but as someone who was no doubt addicted to booze it has been a revelation. Will get over to the order page now in fact…

I'd feel like a convict too if I had to drink NA beer. Life, liberty and the right to drink full strength beer!
Quote Reply
Re: NA beer: I rolled my eyes for over a year…now I’m eating crow [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wanna know why Ironmike's autocorrect changed "convert" to "convict?"

#justguessing

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: NA beer: I rolled my eyes for over a year…now I’m eating crow [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh dear. No idea. Honest guv.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a long time craft beer enthusiast, I've definitely switched that interest over into the NA beer realm. It's been nice to see so many brewers trying really interesting, exploratory beers. Athletic Brewing does a really good job with their pilot series, and provides a cool way to explore different hops, grains, brewing styles, etc. BrewDog has a similar line of NA beers that are generally of really good quality as well. I'll concur with the previous recommendation of Untitled Art. If you can get them where you are, they have several excellent NA beers (Italian Pilsner, West Coast IPA, Florida Weiss to name a few)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
So I spent the better part of a year rolling my eyes at all the social media posts of athletes drinking NA beer. “Can’t you just drink real beer less often?” I would say. Of course you could. But my wife and I finally ordered some athletic brewing after trying some at a couple of 70.3s, and we’re hooked. Turns out, there are lots of scenarios where I want a drink other than water but don’t want alcohol. For example:
1. I’m on call (physician). Can’t I just not drink til I’m off call? Yea. But having this option has been nice.
2. I find it MUCH easier to have just 1 drink, as there is no buzz to chase. And no chance of having that 1 too many that’ll hurt my early morning workout.
3. I find myself having a 60-75 calorie NA beer instead of a 300-400 calorie dessert.

They’re certainly not as tasty as a craft IPA (I’m very into real craft beer). Not close. But for 1/3 of the calories and no alcohol I’m really enjoying them.

Who's actually buying the stuff? I don't get it. I either drink or I don't. I don't need to drink. People who need to drink even the near stuff may have addiction.

Why drink something that tastes like that with none of the other properties?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: NA beer: I rolled my eyes for over a year…now I’m eating crow [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
triguy86 wrote:

Who's actually buying the stuff? I don't get it. I either drink or I don't. I don't need to drink. People who need to drink even the near stuff may have addiction.

I gave 3 reasons why in my post. Have a read 😂
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just like bourbon too much. But generally when I don't want to drink I just don't.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Prior to last week, the only NA beer I ever tried was ODouls. Boy, did that suck. But last week on a Backroads trip, I turned down a beer because post activity I have trouble recovering if I drink, muscle aches, sleep problems, etc. The leader offered me Athletic Brewing Company Run Wild. This stuff is really great, 65 calories, good tasting, no problems with recovery. I never drank beer for the buzz, just like the taste and I drink them infrequently, 1-2 about 5 times a year. This may be a new food group for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just drink mineral water (flavoured or plain) if I don't want booze.
Quote Reply
Re: NA beer: I rolled my eyes for over a year…now I’m eating crow [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
triguy86 wrote:

I think you are having a hard time understanding that there are people that genuinely like the taste of good beer, even without the buzz. Same way there are people that genuinely like the taste of coffee, and don't just drink it for caffeine. People genuinely like the taste of tea, without sugar. I don't think it's really that hard to understand.
Last edited by: MRid: Jul 4, 22 13:05
Quote Reply
Re: NA beer: I rolled my eyes for over a year…now I’m eating crow [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I genuinely like the taste of coffee, but decaffeinated is an inferior tasting one. Same with decaffeinated tea.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, now imagine you really like coffee, but caffeine treated you very badly. And while decaf is not quite as good, it’s still pretty decent coffee.

Same idea
Quote Reply
Re: NA beer: I rolled my eyes for over a year…now I’m eating crow [Ironmike78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironmike78 wrote:

None of this is ground breaking of course, we all know it, but as someone who was no doubt addicted to booze it has been a revelation.

Didn't want this to go unnoticed - nice work! Good luck with it.
Quote Reply
Re: NA beer: I rolled my eyes for over a year…now I’m eating crow [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just had an Athletic Brewing IPA in honor of this thread. Good stuff. Cheers!

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Re: NA beer: I rolled my eyes for over a year…now I’m eating crow [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 But diet coke has fake sugar in it, which is no bueno. I'd drink a regular coke first. But - the NA beer has less calories and gives me a smidge of the taste of a real one.
Quote Reply
Re: NA beer: I rolled my eyes for over a year…now I’m eating crow [mtrichick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do you think that aspartame is bad?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Why do you think that aspartame is bad?

carcinogenic, gives you diabetes, should never have been FDA approved..

https://grist.org/scary-food/2011-02-10-still-drinking-diet-soda-dont-be-a-fashion-victim-pepsi-strokes/
Quote:

In the early 1980s, a company called Searle owned the patent on aspartame, already known, paradoxically, as Nutrasweet. (I get the sweet part, but nutra?) Searle’s CEO was the well-connected Rumsfeld — who took the Searle job not long after serving as secretary of defense for the previous Republican president, Gerald Ford.

In 1981, President Reagan appointed a man named Arthur Hull Hayes as his FDA chair. Soon after taking the post, Hayes approved aspartame over the objections of an FDA-assembled panel made up of independent scientists. That panel had voted to reject clearance of aspartame, on the grounds that one of Searle’s own studies had shown that rats that consumed the chemical showed an increase in brain tumors. (This 2006 New York Times article gives a good historical account of the process.)

Rummy, of course, would go on to greater things, but not before engineering the sale of Searle and its suddenly quite valuable Nutrasweet division to Monsanto in 1985.

I don't care for NA beer myself, but it's much healthier than any diet product..
Last edited by: doug in co: Jul 5, 22 13:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, Ironman race expos are definitely improved when you’re wandering around sipping on a frosty Athletic Brewery NA beer, especially when it’s put in your hand free by the guy at the booth. I haven’t bought any yet, but might finally move in that direction.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply

Prev Next