Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

But, I see no logic moving back.

That's because you don't understand geometry, apparently...

So, teach me, or is that just too low for you?

I'll try...but, as any teacher knows, it takes an effort on the part of the student to actually understand for learning to take place.

To start, let me ask you this:

- As you are attempting to find your "best" crank length, in any tests that you do, is it desirable to isolate the effect of changing JUST the crank length?

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

I'll try...but, as any teacher knows, it takes an effort on the part of the student to actually understand for learning to take place.

- As you are attempting to find your "best" crank length, in any tests that you do, is it desirable to isolate the effect of changing JUST the crank length?

What my goal is would be to find a decent bike fit. This would allow me to do a few things.

Yep, one is to decide what crank lengths help me get the best fit. Am feeling pretty okay with 200's really make my knee bend and this may not be good, even though I love the felling of 200's. And if it helps me knee, so I do not have to sit up and stop pedaling so often, this would be great independent of my bike times.

And since I would love to buy a new bike, I really, as in the past, want one that is setup correctly for me as a tall guy, not something with long stems, etc that on paper can be made to fit!! My Yaqui fit that bill by have a very long reach, and front fork rack. So my weight was back on the bike, than hanging off the front making it less stable.

All I can say is yep, clearly, I am not even close to being as smart or experienced at this compared to many on ST. But, I love to learn stuff and when I screw up, great, just a lesson learned.

So mentally I can understand set height, which impact the knee angle. All makes sense. Now just trying to understand seat location, which since there are many different seat designs, makes it more interesting.

Thanks

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

What my goal is would be to find a decent bike fit. This would allow me to do a few things.

Yep, one is to decide what crank lengths help me get the best fit. Am feeling pretty okay with 200's really make my knee bend and this may not be good, even though I love the felling of 200's. And if it helps me knee, so I do not have to sit up and stop pedaling so often, this would be great independent of my bike times.

And since I would love to buy a new bike, I really, as in the past, want one that is setup correctly for me as a tall guy, not something with long stems, etc that on paper can be made to fit!! My Yaqui fit that bill by have a very long reach, and front fork rack. So my weight was back on the bike, than hanging off the front making it less stable.

All I can say is yep, clearly, I am not even close to being as smart or experienced at this compared to many on ST. But, I love to learn stuff and when I screw up, great, just a lesson learned.

So mentally I can understand set height, which impact the knee angle. All makes sense. Now just trying to understand seat location, which since there are many different seat designs, makes it more interesting.

Thanks

You didn't answer the question. Please do so. We obviously need to take this one step at a time...

To "throw you a bone" in the mean time, the thing you should understand up front is that your insistence on 200mm crank length is definitely:
  1. Hindering your ability to stay in an aero position
  2. Limiting your choices on frames

Why is that? Because selected crank length can have a large effect on the possible locations over your other "touch points" (saddle and bars) in relationship to the frame geometry.

Anyway...back to the first question: As you are attempting to find your "best" crank length, in any tests that you do, is it desirable to isolate the effect of changing JUST the crank length?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You just don't understand! Go see Dan or do what you have always done and keep complaining about your bike. Real simple.
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Thanks

You didn't answer the question. Please do so. We obviously need to take this one step at a time...

To "throw you a bone" in the mean time, the thing you should understand up front is that your insistence on 200mm crank length is definitely:
  1. Hindering your ability to stay in an aero position
  2. Limiting your choices on frames

Why is that? Because selected crank length can have a large effect on the possible locations over your other "touch points" (saddle and bars) in relationship to the frame geometry.

Anyway...back to the first question: As you are attempting to find your "best" crank length, in any tests that you do, is it desirable to isolate the effect of changing JUST the crank length?

Why are you saying I have to use 200 Cranks? I have not said that anywhere. I already changed my trainer to 175's for the last two days. I started the process on one of my race bikes taking the 200's off and going to put 175's back on.

I just do not understand your question. I have no specific outcome other than crank length needs to be one of the fit pieces, just like all the other stuff. Seems clearly I cannot mess with crank length without impacting other things, the first is seat height, which I am doing.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
You just don't understand! Go see Dan or do what you have always done and keep complaining about your bike. Real simple.

I tried when I was going to be in LA next month, but he is traveling.

I do plan to see him when he is back up my way the first of next year.

But, trying to work on stuff in between. But not much racing for a while so it does not really matter.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

I tried when I was going to be in LA next month, but he is traveling.

I do plan to see him when he is back up my way the first of next year.

But, trying to work on stuff in between. But not much racing for a while so it does not really matter.

Do your best to ride as you race, in other words aero. Let your body adapt and listen to it. It will talk to you. There is no reason that you have to be uncomfortable in aero position, and it's well worth whatever you spend. The return will be much more valuable than even your replacement of your rear disk.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by jeffp [ In reply to ]
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It absolutely baffles me the degree of engagement that the resident flat earther generates

The responses are made as if he will take it on board.

He is not interested

For knocking on for a decade he has bemoaned his bike performance

He has had feedback previously

He has not listened

He is not listening now
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

Why are you saying I have to use 200 Cranks?

I didn't.

h2ofun wrote:
I have not said that anywhere. I already changed my trainer to 175's for the last two days. I started the process on one of my race bikes taking the 200's off and going to put 175's back on.

You started this all with a flawed "test" to determine if 175s would "work" for you. You've long stated your preference for 200s. As we've tried to explain the flaws in your test setup, one thing that came out is your misunderstanding of how to adjust the touchpoint positions for the different crank lengths in order to do a true "apples to apples" comparison. That's what I'm trying to address here. It's also obvious that you're quite a difficult student on this subject, hence the need to break it down and take it step by step. So far, you aren't cooperating though, so my patience may be thin.

h2ofun wrote:
I just do not understand your question. I have no specific outcome other than crank length needs to be one of the fit pieces, just like all the other stuff. Seems clearly I cannot mess with crank length without impacting other things, the first is seat height, which I am doing.

You may not understand the question now, but hopefully as we progress along, you'll start to "get it".

So yes, changing crank length changes other things. One of those things is seat height (along the seat tube axis), but there are other just as important dimensional changes that happen as well when changing crank length in regards to the path your foot takes while creating the majority of your power and the other touch points.

However, if I can't even get a clear answer to the first EASY question that was posed, I really can't see much use in going further...so, indulge me in one last attempt: As you are attempting to find your "best" crank length, in any tests that you do, is it desirable to isolate the effect of changing JUST the crank length?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

I didn't.

h2ofun wrote:
I have not said that anywhere. I already changed my trainer to 175's for the last two days. I started the process on one of my race bikes taking the 200's off and going to put 175's back on.

You started this all with a flawed "test" to determine if 175s would "work" for you. You've long stated your preference for 200s. As we've tried to explain the flaws in your test setup, one thing that came out is your misunderstanding of how to adjust the touchpoint positions for the different crank lengths in order to do a true "apples to apples" comparison. That's what I'm trying to address here. It's also obvious that you're quite a difficult student on this subject, hence the need to break it down and take it step by step. So far, you aren't cooperating though, so my patience may be thin.

h2ofun wrote:

You may not understand the question now, but hopefully as we progress along, you'll start to "get it".

So yes, changing crank length changes other things. One of those things is seat height (along the seat tube axis), but there are other just as important dimensional changes that happen as well when changing crank length in regards to the path your foot takes while creating the majority of your power and the other touch points.

However, if I can't even get a clear answer to the first EASY question that was posed, I really can't see much use in going further...so, indulge me in one last attempt: As you are attempting to find your "best" crank length, in any tests that you do, is it desirable to isolate the effect of changing JUST the crank length?

And I will say again, yep, what we are used to feels good. That has been 200's for me for a long time. But, am always open to change. I went to 175's once, but not clear I adjusted things correctly for fit. Now I am going down this road again. Since I have 175's already, they are now on the trainer and bike. (Just have to get my RD adjusted now. Another thing to learn :( )

I have read so much that there is no "best" crank length, so I am not just focusing on that. Now, there are all these folks who push that shorter, shorter shorter is better so trying to listen to them.

Clearly there have been great inputs, and yep, I fully understand, that I could just put a total focus on crank lengths, pound away testing to see what give me the best results, but this seems it might take away from other stuff like comfort, correct fit for my body, etc.

So this is why at the moment, I guess I am saying I have the parts to do 175's, which is a huge reduction from what I have been riding. But, this just makes a lot of other stuff needing to change, so my focus is more on setting up a correct fit for me with 175's rather than putting a single focus on what the "best" crank length is, since so many articles basically say it is a personal preference.

So, i just have no idea what answer you are looking for, so if you have one, let me know.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

I didn't.

h2ofun wrote:

h2ofun wrote:

And I will say again, yep, what we are used to feels good. That has been 200's for me for a long time. But, am always open to change. I went to 175's once, but not clear I adjusted things correctly for fit. Now I am going down this road again. Since I have 175's already, they are now on the trainer and bike. (Just have to get my RD adjusted now. Another thing to learn :( )

I have read so much that there is no "best" crank length, so I am not just focusing on that. Now, there are all these folks who push that shorter, shorter shorter is better so trying to listen to them.

Clearly there have been great inputs, and yep, I fully understand, that I could just put a total focus on crank lengths, pound away testing to see what give me the best results, but this seems it might take away from other stuff like comfort, correct fit for my body, etc.

So this is why at the moment, I guess I am saying I have the parts to do 175's, which is a huge reduction from what I have been riding. But, this just makes a lot of other stuff needing to change, so my focus is more on setting up a correct fit for me with 175's rather than putting a single focus on what the "best" crank length is, since so many articles basically say it is a personal preference.

So, i just have no idea what answer you are looking for, so if you have one, let me know.

And...I'm out.

You asked me to attempt to educate you on why when changing to a shorter crank length one not only needs to raise the saddle, but also move it rearward (along with moving the bars up and rearward) to keep your other touchpoint relationships "the same". That first question was an attempt to guide you along the process of "when I change something, what else changes?" You seem to be able to grasp the idea of why the saddle needs to be raised relative to the BB, so there's no reason you shouldn't understand why the saddle also needs to move rearward. It's for the same reasons.

Good luck with your "quest" (however you define it at any given time...since it seems to change constantly)

Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
It absolutely baffles me the degree of engagement that the resident flat earther generates

He is not interested

He has not listened

He is not listening now

It is painful to watch. I should stop reading...
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:

He is not interested

He has not listened

He is not listening now

Shhhhhh.....he's in my age group. This is a delight to watch/read.
I'm betting his fit looks like this after all is said and done..

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
SummitAK wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:

He is not interested

He has not listened

He is not listening now

I might be faster :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then why the long cranks? The longer the cranks the more flexibility you need and the more stress you place on your pace in an aero position. Not to mention it limits how low you can get in front with regard to hip angle (back to flexibility)

Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
stringcheese wrote:
SummitAK wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:

He is not interested

He has not listened

He is not listening now

All kidding aside, I hope you are.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [JustinNorCal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JustinNorCal wrote:
Then why the long cranks? The longer the cranks the more flexibility you need and the more stress you place on your pace in an aero position. Not to mention it limits how low you can get in front with regard to hip angle (back to flexibility)

Not sure your question. Which "long" cranks?

But, this is one reason I am playing around with going from the 200's back to the 175's I have. Working on setting up the bikes as I type. I sure am not as flexible as I used to be.

Even though I cannot seem to get anyone to give a good input as to seat location, assuming starting from scratch, looking at 2 choices. One is at 5mm forward to BB as I was fitted. Another is to go 0 relative to the BB. Either way, my knee is way in front of the pedal axel at 3. Need to play with the bars some if possible.
Check some angles. Then post another video. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
JustinNorCal wrote:

But, this is one reason I am playing around with going from the 200's back to the 175's I have. Working on setting up the bikes as I type. I sure am not as flexible as I used to be.

Even though I cannot seem to get listen to anyone trying to give a good input as to seat location, assuming starting from scratch, looking at 2 choices. One is at 5mm forward to BB as I was fitted. Another is to go 0 relative to the BB. Either way, my knee is way in front of the pedal axel at 3. Need to play with the bars some if possible.

Fixed it for you...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
JustinNorCal wrote:
Then why the long cranks? The longer the cranks the more flexibility you need and the more stress you place on your back in an aero position. Not to mention it limits how low you can get in front with regard to hip angle (back to flexibility)

Even though I cannot seem to get anyone to give a good input as to seat location, assuming starting from scratch, looking at 2 choices. One is at 5mm forward to BB as I was fitted. Another is to go 0 relative to the BB. Either way, my knee is way in front of the pedal axel at 3. Need to play with the bars some if possible.

Knee over Axle is not really relative in a good TT position since you are essentially rotating the body around the bottom bracket. There is no testing about it, if you want to get in a better position ditch the 200mm cranks - you simply don't have the flexibility to ride them and get low. Nobody can give you an exact saddle position with how you are going about this because there are so many variables involved. What type of bottom bracket is on that bike? Are you Shimano or SRAM? I also have some 170 and 172.5 arms laying around.

Quote | Reply
Dave I'm really interested in what you're testing, being taller than you by a couple inches.
I think what you have found is exactly why a lot of people use compact cranks. But for you and me, 175 is the equivalent of compact!

NO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
stringcheese wrote:
SummitAK wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:

He is not interested

He has not listened

He is not listening now

Since you're so fast, don't change a thing Dave. Why mess with success? Your run splits are a thing of beauty and one to brag of; but you truly are just in this for a hobby, as it really doesn't matter, even though you were in the top 10 in the world and are a Legend with a very large belt buckle. You just love Disneyland and wonder why people take this so seriously. For only 21 hours of training a week, what could one expect? Stay the course buddy......Just chill with the constant conflicting posts, OK? I can surely can tell race season is pretty much over and ST is in a lull......
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alabama Viking wrote:
Dave I'm really interested in what you're testing, being taller than you by a couple inches.
I think what you have found is exactly why a lot of people use compact cranks. But for you and me, 175 is the equivalent of compact!

a compact crank ha nothing to do with crankarm length.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:

He is not interested

He has not listened

He is not listening now

One of the hardest things for the rational mind to comprehend is an irrational one.

Great thread though, and hardly testing for me. I did not once read the word "attack."

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [JustinNorCal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JustinNorCal wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
JustinNorCal wrote:
Then why the long cranks? The longer the cranks the more flexibility you need and the more stress you place on your back in an aero position. Not to mention it limits how low you can get in front with regard to hip angle (back to flexibility)

Knee over Axle is not really relative in a good TT position since you are essentially rotating the body around the bottom bracket. There is no testing about it, if you want to get in a better position ditch the 200mm cranks - you simply don't have the flexibility to ride them and get low. Nobody can give you an exact saddle position with how you are going about this because there are so many variables involved. What type of bottom bracket is on that bike? Are you Shimano or SRAM? I also have some 170 and 172.5 arms laying around.

I pretty much agree that I will give up on the 200's. Nothing to lose.

I have Shimano on the bikes at the moment. If you have those arms in compact and not using would love to have them to give them a try if needed. Right now I put the 175's on the bike and adjusted the trainer.

So I put the 175's on the bike. Pulled the seat back some. Raised the bars. Replaced the 140 stem with a 100 to pull them back to try. Need to see how the setup looks.

Quote Reply

Prev Next