Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My season opener - scuttled
Quote | Reply
I just found out yesterday that I cannot attend my planned season opener. My wife needs to be away that weekend to attend a family function.

Damn it.

My next planned race is only a month after that, so I'll survive I suppose, but it is a little disappointing.

What to do? This seriously has me considering one of those "indoor triathlon" things some of the others have posted about in different threads. I used to think that was just crazy.

Really - any advice? What might ease this heartache?

matt

"When I cleaned up my diction, I had nothing left to say" -- Van Morrison
Quote Reply
Re: My season opener - scuttled [Matt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"My wife needs to be away that weekend to attend a family function."

Your wife needs to be away for the weekend, but do you? I've skipped a few of the other half's family functions before with no major consequences. Guess it depends upon how important this function is.
Quote Reply
Re: My season opener - scuttled [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I'm staying home, but I've got two small kids to keep track of for the weekend. I thought about strapping them to my bike and running with the baby stroller, but pulling the canoe on the swim would be too much for me, I think.

;-)

No chance that I'll get a baby sitter to show up at 5am, and my parents live 1000 mi away so I can't sucker them into it, either.

Thanks,
matt

Quote Reply
Re: My season opener - scuttled [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about finding a 5k or 10k to take the competitive edge off, or find a swim meet with a 1500m or something. Barring that find a fast friend and 'race' a 10 k or bike ride. Doesn't have to be the same weekend, doesn't have to be a tri and at least you'll get some kind of a time.

Watch out for suggestions from people who have openly complained about *ex*-wives on this board (eh CG?).

Quote Reply
Re: My season opener - scuttled [Marlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll probably enter a road race just as you recommend. Maybe I'll ride my bike there or take the trainer along with me. Talk about a geek.

But it won't be the same.

There is something special about standing at the edge of the water at that season opener that's _everyone's_ season opener and that feeling you get when you're thinking - I've been working hard, real hard - legs are strong - heart is strong.

PR today. Podium today.

And not only are you thinking it but look around, -- everyone is thinking it and the air is thick with that hope and that expectation. Everywhere. Everyone.

Then the air horn goes off and whosh! suddenly you are in the water.

I'm gonna miss it. That second race isn't quite the same.

matt

Quote Reply