Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
My friend had a bad day.
Quote | Reply
One of the guys I ride with on our Saturday morning group rides suffered a tragic loss of his carbon fiber Trek today. He had his bike up on his roof rack of his minivan and he forgot about it and pulled into his carport and "SQUASH!!!!!!!!!!!" His frame is now totalled. I feel so bad for the guy. It was a beautiful bike with a custom paint job. He was just saving up to buy a tri bike as he is training for an IM and now he has zero bikes. What a tragic loss. I don't know what I'd do if anything similar happened to my Tiphoon. I feel sick thinking about it. I can't imagine how he feels.

Team Endurance Nation
Last edited by: QuintanaRooster: Jan 27, 04 6:08
Quote Reply
Re: What can be worse other than a death of a loved one? [QuintanaRooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As an idiot, I did that too. My beautiful Bianchi EV3 with campy carbon seatpost. It actually striped the rack (the whole rack with bike attached) off the top of the car and this may be hard to beleive, but the only damage was the nose of my saddle was bent down. No damage to frame or seatpost. I've ridden 5000 miles on both and there is still no signs of any damage and I check it everyday as I can't believe my blessing.
Quote Reply
Re: What can be worse other than a death of a loved one? [marko16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a friend do that with his Serrotta(sp) Totaled rack range rover roof and of course the bike but in his case homeowners ins covered total cost.
Quote Reply
Re: What can be worse other than a death of a loved one? [QuintanaRooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A close friend of mine lost a limb in an accident. He was a very handsome and full of confidence 27 years old guy. He lost his self esteem, he feels depressed and suffers from severe pains. A Trek bicycle is simply a mass produced and over priced (very high margins) piece of carbon fibre. Most consumers who own one do so as an act of idolising Lance Armstrong – therefore it is extremely popular. I doubt many cyclists specifically opted for this bike due to its superior attributes over other bikes.

If you perceive the loss of such a bike (let alone any bike) similar to the loss of a loved one and it can make you feel sick, then I think you need to examine more carefully your cognitions in terms of your core beliefs, values and attitudes. I would not like to be judgemental, but the comparison that you are suggesting is pathetic. You friend is not starving to death or recovering from cancer he has simply not been careful and lost a bicycle. If he tries so hard to copy Lance (i.e. the bike), I suggest that both of you copy Lance’s mental stamina as well.

Pluto

---------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: What can be worse other than a death of a loved one? [Pluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey come on now. I could never attempt to imagine your friends loss. but you need to chill and take some of these postings in context.

These guys lost they're bikes throught they're own doings and are posting their thoughts only.

Take a chill pill!
Quote Reply
Re: What can be worse other than a death of a loved one? [TriandRun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriandRun, thanks for understanding the feelings that I have regarding my friend, and of course I can’t understand what he feels. I used it as an example of something that I perceive as comparable to losing life.

>>but you need to chill and take some of these postings in context.

This was exactly my point – take the loss of a bike in context.

I love bikes, so I can see that if I lost my own bike I will not be very happy about it. But, don’t compare it to the loss of life which is out of context.

Some athletes are so obsessed with their training/diet/equipment that they may take things out of context, magnifying the importance of the unimportant.

In one of the other posts a guy crashed his beloved Cervelo and asked about replacement. In my mind he was taking things in context. I am sure that if Quintana Rooster was in his position he will go through the process of bereavement. And I will then say – the bike just died, a year has not passed and you are already thinking about a replacement?!

Pluto

---------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What could be worse? Doctor I used to work for has a Litespeed Vortex actually collecting dust in his garage. Says he took a few rides but bicycling just wasn't for him. Yes a Litespeed Vortex and didn't even know if he really liked riding a bicycle. At least your bros bike was an operational loss. It died do to bad intel but was still in there for the good fight.

I am very sad to see it go.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: What can be worse other than a death of a loved one? [Pluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pluto, you are taking my posting out of context. I did not equate loss of life with loss of a bicycle. I see death on a regular basis in the operating room and in the Emergency Room. In no way did I say losing a bike is like losing a human's life. I said losing a human's life is worse. And for those of us that are very passionate about our sport, yes, losing our bike that we ride 5000 miles a year is a big loss. It's a big inconvenience when you are training for a particular goal and then you have to alter those training plans because a.) you no longer have a bike to train on and b.) you can't afford a replacement because you have medical bills to pay for because you were recently diagnosed with multiple sclerosis and on top of that you have a family to feed. And your opinion on why somebody rides a Trek is way off. Sure some people may choose Trek because of Lance or because it is a yuppy bike but for you to bring your opinion of Trek into this posting and sort of pass judgement on my friend is out of line. Makes you look like the forum IDIOT! Perhaps you need to take a step back and ask yourself if you have the true passion for this sport like my friend does.

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a bit like the pilot's saying. There are those have run out of gas and there are those who are gonna. (and I should know !).

There are those who have had a bike damaged fastened to the outside of the vehicle and those who are gonna ! Take off the wheels and put it in the trunk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Title of thread: What can be worse other than a death of a loved one?

QR: Pluto, you are taking my posting out of context. I did not equate loss of life with loss of a bicycle.

How else is one suppossed to interpret "What can be worse other than a death of a loved one?" We could basically point out a million examples of things that are worse than losing a stupid friggin bike, but aren't as bad as death. I'd trade an expensive bike to have my brother in law home from Iraq. I trade a bike to save a loved one from cancer, divorse, verbal abuse, hunger, homelessness, depression, injury, scars, neglect, etc, etc. Let's not get too far out of touch with reality when talking about a piece of metal. I'm sorry the guy backed out of his carport and wrecked his bike ... but it the grand scheme of things, that's pretty insignificant. I hope nothing bad happens to HIM to make him realize this.

Basically, anything that cannot be replaced by money is more important than the bike. If the guy gets a part-time job or works overtime, he'll have a replacement bike in no time.

Again, those reading the thread cannot see in your mind as to what you had intended for this thread, all we know is what we see, and what you wrote is "What can be worse other than a death of a loved one?"

How else is a person suppossed to interpret that?

---------------------------------

Injecting humor ...

Q: What can be worse (other than death) than wrecking a bike?

A: Apparently ... not making the Honor Roll in Nashville.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Last edited by: TripleThreat: Jan 25, 04 18:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By Lance QuintanaRooster, if that is your real name, how could you? Comparing the wrecking of a bike to the death of children and kittens. You are a soul less man. I have never ever heard anyone using terms of love and affection toward thier bikes.

We never play around and goof that our bike is like family. We never ever ever do anything close to showing any real feelings toward our bikes.

You should leave the forum.

(joke)

Quote Reply
Re: What can be worse other than a death of a loved one? [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"How else is a person suppossed to interpret that?"

As a joke on how much we love our bikes.

I sentence you too eight hours of Eddie Izard and three watchings of the Princess Bride.

Quote Reply
Re: What can be worse other than a death of a loved one? [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is unbelievable. Isn't it clear he was MAKING A FRIGGIN' JOKE. I compared picking up my new bike to an expectant mother looking forward to her new baby; I didn't think anyone would take it literally.

This is starting to get old with all the no-it-all, self-righteous, political rantings and the lack of humor expressed on this forum.
Quote Reply
Re: What can be worse other than a death of a loved one? [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK Tibbs, this time it is personal. The Princess Bride is the best movie of all time. If you have not read the book it is also awesome and is definitely worth the read. "The Zoo of Death" which was left out of the movie is in the book and is quite amusing. In any case both are pure entertainment.

David

PS, the original poster was being humorous about the sense of loss of a possession you could tell from the subject line.
Quote Reply
Re: What can be worse other than a death of a loved one? [Tom H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was just saving up to buy a tri bike as he is training for an IM and now he has zero bikes. What a tragic loss. I don't know what I'd do if anything similar happened to my Tiphoon. I feel sick thinking about it. I can't imagine how he feels.

Which part of that sounds like a joke? Is anyone laughing at anything in the above paragraph?

Could it be this guy is one of those that DOES equate his equipment with life, that DOES equate triathloning as being as important as marriage, etc. There are certainly enough of those out there to create a stereotype, generalization.

A joke would be "My buddy wrecked his bike. We're broken hearted about it. So, we did the next logical thing. We had a service and buried it in the backyward, and drank ourselves silly about it." That's a joke ... see because they buried the bike in the backyard as if it were a living thing ... then they .... oh nevermind.

This is starting to get old with all the no-it-all, self-righteous, political rantings and the lack of humor expressed on this forum.

Okay, if you're referring to the original post as "humor", then it is getting old. We used to have a saying in college, "if you're going to be an asshole at least be a funny asshole, people can tolerate a funny asshole". "He's an asshole." "Yeah, but he's funny".

Some people in this thread did not interpret the original post as a joke. Why? because THERE"S NOTHING FUNNY IN IT. It literally reads as if some guy is torn up because he wrecked his own bike out of stupidity. So if you wanna come on with the "self-righteous, KNOW-it-all, blah, blah, stuff go right ahead.", just because certain folks didn't recognize the obvious humor in the above post, so be it.

I think you should read the original post and see if it might just not be an attempt at humor. Do this before you go assuming everyone else is coming down high-handed. You don't know anyone that would view their bike, dog, car, stereo, as being more important than they are? I know a few folks that would equate having their stereo stolen as being the same as having a child kidnapped. In a time like that, I'd take an aluminum baseball bat (or bike top tube) to their skull to remind what's worth worrying about.

I could do that in this situation, if it's required. It may not change perspective, but it sure would make me feel better.

Now, figure out if I'm joking or not.

Later. RyanB.

=======================
Quote Reply
Re: What can be worse other than a death of a loved one? [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I'd take an aluminum baseball bat (or bike top tube) to their skull to remind what's worth worrying about. "

What's worth worrying about... Like an innocuous thread on a triathlon website??

Maybe we should all sit back and take a nice deep breath.

On another note, for those of you who love the honor roll story so much, you may want to hop over to http://www.tonguetied.us/ if you want to get really worked up. Not all of the entries are that great, but there are some fantastic ones.
Quote Reply
Re: What can be worse other than a death of a loved one? [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe we should all sit back and take a nice deep breath.

Good Point.

The whole deal could have been avoided with reprasing the original post to where it didn't read of "whiny pussy". If they would have just said "check this out" and explained what the friend did, we'd have all said "that's too bad, hope he gets another, bike" and wished him well on his training.

But, since the post reads as it does, and many people deal with rougher situations (having a bike wrecked is not a problem) on a daily basis, with much more severe consequences ... the post met some opposition. I didn't think it was attempt at humor. I thought it was over-reacting to a simple situation. So then I did the next best thing ... I over-reacted to their over-reaction. Anything that can be immediately "undone" with $2K is not that big of a deal.

"I'd take an aluminum baseball bat (or bike top tube) to their skull to remind what's worth worrying about. "

What's worth worrying about... Like an innocuous thread on a triathlon website??

Figure of speech. Uhhh ... yeah ... Uhhh ... I mean, I was making a joke. That's it.

On a serious note. In college as part of an ethics class for Pre-Med studies we visited a children's hospital for the terminally ill. Talk about a life-changing experience. From that day on I've made a point to bring to people's attention when they have a legit complaint and when they're being a whiny pussy. We all whine from time to time, but when it's not called for, we need reminded. It goes without saying, that includes myself also.

"I was upset that I had no shoes ... until I met a man that had no feet"

People complaining about insignificant things (i.e. cannot be easily undone or replaced) has always bothered me ... especially when another member of the forum had just posted that her dog was badly wounded from an attack the other day. At least have the consideration to wait a few days before complaining about a bent bike.

=======================
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone who lost his mother 6 weeks ago, I read your post title already knowing the answer to the question presented. Granted, I do see that you were just joking, but I can also see how some who have experienced such loss (especially recently) may not have seen the humor. But, all in all, I think a round of chill pills may be just what the doctor ordered. Sorry about your friend's bike, I know I would be pissed myself had I done the same thing.

Alan

p.s. Since this seems a good place to mention it - help find a cure for breast cancer. Go to the Avon website to make a pledge. Every bit will help save the life of a mother, a wife, a sister or a daughter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TripleThreat,

Wow, you've got that crowbar shoved pretty far up there, don't you? You must be a real joy to be around on a daily basis.

Your students must love your daily lectures about how you think the world should be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to say that the title and subject of your post is very distasteful to say the least. Had you lost a loved one recently or maybe at all, I bet you wouldn't post that.

Paulo

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: What can be worse other than a death of a loved one? [bikerdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why are you attacking me? I was informing people it was a joke and to watch the Princess Bride and Eddie Izzard to learn to laugh.

Put the crack pipe down.

Quote Reply
Re: What can be worse other than a death of a loved one? [Tom H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have said before I am a very compassionate person. If you need help getting a job done, I will help you even though I know no credit will be given to me. If you legitimately need money, I will give you some even though I don't have much, and even though I know you won't pay me back. If you have something horrible happen to you or a loved one, I will cry and pray with you. That's who I am.

However, I also am a very honest and direct person, that doesn't always come across as "nice". If you're whining about something insignificant, I will tell you.

I should have just said, "Dude, it's a bike. Get a new one. People deal with worse stuff everyday."

What I cannot tolerate is when people are complaining about things that are insensitive to those that deal with worse situations daily. This guy is complaining about his friends wrecked bike when just the other day someone posted a story about their dog almost being killed in an attack. The guy in his post is comparing a wrecked bike to almost everything short of death. It's not a joke. It needed to be put into perspective.

I'm tired of listening to fat people complain the elevator is too far away from their classroom. I'm tired of single people complain they cannot get their work done because they don't have time. I'm tired of people complaining about anything and everything to those that are less fortunate. I'm tired of parents telling me that don't know how to keep their kid off the internet all night. Really. Throughout threads we have here, we can see how folks whine about useless stuff, expect others to pay for their responsibility, etc.

I don't like it, and I say so. It amazes me that people are "refreshed" with Dr. Phil's attitude of telling people "that dog don't hunt", etc. Why should a grown man have to tell another grown man to "suck it up, and face your yourself". Good grief.

All I'm asking is that society be honest and responsible. Bad me.

=======================
Last edited by: TripleThreat: Jan 27, 04 6:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are talking to me? Is anyone reading my posts or is everyone looking to be offened?

Triplethreat and Pluto are wet blankets. They need medication. I'll put my expriences with death and maming up with anyone on this site and I thought the orginal post was friggin great.

Hey Pluto stop being such an eletist and let people ride what they want to ride.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"If you're whining about something insignificant, I will tell you."

Your whining about something insignificant.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Touche", said the wet blanket.

-------------------------------------------

I just noticed the title of the thread has been changed. Classic. Now that's humor. "My friend had a bad day". I love it. That's awesome when a person can take some heat in stride and turn around and offer a bit of cleverness. That made my day. Nice going, QR.

-------------------------------------------

=======================
Last edited by: TripleThreat: Jan 27, 04 6:24
Quote Reply

Prev Next