Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My first real roadbike rocks
Quote | Reply
After riding a tri-bike exclusively for the past 15 years I finally pulled the trigger on a new road bike. There were tons of choices and I rode a bunch of different makes and models. I ended settling on a 2005 Trek Madone 5.2, 9-speed.

What a great ride. So THIS is how a bike is supposed to climb? So THIS is how a bike is supposed to descend and corner? I guess I really never knew how much better a road bike handles. Anyway, you can ignore my babbling...but it is damn exciting (ya I know, it doesn't take much).

This is enough to convert me to full-time roadie. Maybe.
Quote Reply
Re: My first real roadbike rocks [TxDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats! Now you just need titanium bike for comparison. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ended settling on a 2005 Trek Madone 5.2, 9-speed.

I feel sorry that you had to settle on the Trek Madone 5.2 :)

Good luck with that shabby bike. Next time you might luck out and end up with one of them there Huffy bikes.

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome aboard! I've never owned a tri-specific bike myself, and I find myself doing without aero-bar set-ups of ANY sort more and more often. I still remember my first "real" bike - late 80's Schwinn Tempo in Teal/White, set up with Suntour Sprint 9000 parts group and Profile Aero-1 full size aero bars. Ah the good old days... There's nothing wrong with riding a road frame - I see LOTS of good triathletes that do the same. They just mod them a bit, but EASILY reversible, so you're never far from a pure road bike ride.

I've been on a road bike binge the last year. I have had a few bikes the last year:

Litespeed Tuscany w/Ultegra 10 (NEW LAST WEEK!!! OMG!!!), Felt F45 (putting new bars and stem on that soon - ITM Mantis Wings), Felt F70 frame built up with 105/Ultegra parts (sold to buy Litespeed), Fuji Team (sold to buy Felt F45), Schwinn Peloton (stripped parts to build Felt F70).

I can't BELIEVE the ride of an all Ti road bike though. Wow! I'll never buy anything else - except maybe an all-carbon ride one of these days, although it would be hard to give up the bomb-proof Ti frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The simplicity of the road bike is so enjoyable.

Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: LarryCalifornia: Aug 8, 05 20:07
Quote | Reply
Congralations on a great purchase. You will, no doubt, take a bunch of grief for your decision. The sad thing is, if the Madone had another brand name on the downtube there would be never ending praise on this board. Enjoy your new bike.

"....No longer easy on the eyes but these wrinkles masterfully dusguise the youthful boy below."~Death Cab for Cutie

http://www.a1cyclery.com
Quote Reply
Re: My first real roadbike rocks [Chris Wiggins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>You will, no doubt, take a bunch of grief for your decision. The sad thing is, if the Madone had another brand name on the downtube there would be never ending >praise on this board.

I can take it. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course you can. You're from Texas. ;~)

"....No longer easy on the eyes but these wrinkles masterfully dusguise the youthful boy below."~Death Cab for Cutie

http://www.a1cyclery.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now go race it!!!

I'm confused, a 2005 9 speed? Custom build?
Quote Reply
Re: My first real roadbike rocks [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The very first Madone's for 2005 were built as 9-speeds. My understanding is they did a lot of different versions. Maybe this one was built in late '04 as an '05 model. I think this is probably the case since it has USPS colors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Congralations on a great purchase. You will, no doubt, take a bunch of grief for your decision. The sad thing is, if the Madone had another brand name on the downtube there would be never ending praise on this board. Enjoy your new bike.[/reply]

ya mean cervelo?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why is it that Trek can make the best carbon in the industry, but because it isn't made in Europe, it is somehow not cool enough?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CONGRATULATIONS!!! I just bought a Madone 5.2 myself! I have a Softride Rocketwing and a 12-yr old Trek 2200 road bike.

I love riding my Rocketwing along the San Diego coast but wanted a road bike for hilly rides inland. My old Trek flexes on climbs so I looked at the Madone. Frankly, I thought it would be too stiff and harsh for my tastes. I wanted a bike I could be comfortable all day on that would climb well.

One test ride and I was sold on the Madone! I loved the smooth ride even over rough pavement and the handling is super! I didn't expect such a nice ride on such a stiff frame! The best part is that the 56cm frame fit me perfectly.

I ordered mine custom using Project One and will get it in a few weeks. It'll be a metal-flake candy apple red with Campy Chorus 10-speed, compact crank, Bontrager Race X-Lite Wheels and Bontrager carbon stem.

I considered other bikes (Litespeed, Specialized Roubaix, Titanflex, Cervelo, Giant) but the Trek just seemed to be the best fit for what I wanted. I personally don't even consider what anyone might think about me buying a Trek - it's a damn good bike and a damn good company with damn good service from the local Trek store! Nuff said!!!

Enjoy your bike... and BTW -- I'm a Texan too!!!

Jim
Quote Reply