Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My first DNS tomorrow
Quote | Reply
I’m going to have my first DNS tomorrow. Well, technically I had one more due to scheduling issues, but it does’t count.

This time I’m just super-tired and may be a little sick. I don’t want to swim bike run work or walk.

Most probably it’s a yearly planning mistake. I had a run-heavy cycle till and of April, then PR in a marathon, then PR in a 70.3 5 weeks later. I was really strong in both races.

Now 2 weeks later I’m crushed by slow semi-recovery 8-13 miles runs and cannot do anything anymore.

Local Olympic tomorrow will be without me.

I have 12 weeks till next A-race IMWI and just have to re-do my training program a bit to allow stronger recovery.

What was your first when you just couldn’t? :)
Quote Reply
Re: My first DNS tomorrow [ask77nl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ask77nl wrote:

Well we were both too drunk so it doesn't count, at least I didn't count it. As for racing I'm always up for it! (so far)

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: My first DNS tomorrow [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never missed a single one. I eat well and sleep well and recovers quick. Sometimes I take melatonin or sleeping pills to get some good sleep and it really helps me a lot. Good food, rest and sleep is the key I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost thought I was not going to start today (Patriot Half). Had a horrible cramp in my calf Monday night, huge bruise and broken blood vessel. Was in agony for 2 days or so. It finally subsided, so I'm racing today. I have yet to miss a race, but probably will eventually. I always buy insurance when it's available. You never know when you'll need to bale. Sorry to hear about your situation, but that's a smart decision. No reason to be utterly miserable. This is supposed to be fun. You'll live to race another day (stronger)!

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happens frequently. I sign up for lots of races and then life gets in the way. Can't remember the 1'st.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ask77nl wrote:
I’m going to have my first DNS tomorrow. Well, technically I had one more due to scheduling issues, but it does’t count.

This time I’m just super-tired and may be a little sick. I don’t want to swim bike run work or walk.

Most probably it’s a yearly planning mistake. I had a run-heavy cycle till and of April, then PR in a marathon, then PR in a 70.3 5 weeks later. I was really strong in both races.

Now 2 weeks later I’m crushed by slow semi-recovery 8-13 miles runs and cannot do anything anymore.

Local Olympic tomorrow will be without me.

I have 12 weeks till next A-race IMWI and just have to re-do my training program a bit to allow stronger recovery.

Yeah, it happens. Had my fair share of DNSs - way more than DNFs.
Tbh, I don't remember the first time I didn't show up for a race, so I'll tell you the last one: I was registered to go to a 3k trail run last sunday. Weather was shitty, I was a little ill, and I thought I'd have a better day if I invested my time and forces in sleeping instead. I have absolutely no regrets.
I do this for fun, if I don't feel like training, I won't train, if I don't feel like racing, I won't race. The day I don't feel like tri-ing anymore, I won't tri.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't be a pussy. :0) I haven't done ever. I'm cheap.if I paid my money I'm racing.
Last edited by: mdtrihard: Jun 15, 19 4:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a DNS at my first IM last fall in Louisville. IT band syndrome came out of nowhere 8 weeks out from the race. I couldn’t run for 5 months. It happens. All better now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s not a DNS, it’s a Strategic Withdraw!

It sounds like you’ve had a great season, setting PRs and training hard. It’s probably smart to listen to your body. Live to fight another day!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started a new job a couple months ago and had to work the last day of athlete check-in. I missed athlete check-in by a couple hours. They wouldn't let me check-in and it was my A race. Was in the best shape of my life and had to DNS. Then 2 weeks later was ready for another shorter race and had to work that Saturday for another. My training/fitness has gone to shit since then.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: My first DNS tomorrow [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Day 3 of a 3 day UK trail ultra (each day just a shade more than a marathon on trails).

Day 1 ran great. That evening ate and recovered well. Even managed to sleep in the sports hall and felt rested.

Day 2 woke up feeling good. Fuelled well, then jogging to the start line and sudden sharp pain in my left knee. Decided to run on, and managed to completed the day, but I was in a lot of discomfort and spent considerable time walking. I was contemplating doing day 3 as a walk, but my wife drove a long way to get me, took me for a curry, and asked me why on earth would I run on an injury....

Day 3 never started for me. First DNS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come on... Never too late.. Change to the sprint
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This probably belongs in the cry like a little b*tch thread.

1x DNS @ GC70.3 - Broken Hand - I got the cast off after 8 weeks, yesterday.

1x DNF @ Boulder 70.3 - food poisoning (Calves started cramping in the swim. 30mi in to the bike, my triceps and forearms were cramping so bad that I couldn't stay on the bars - sag wagon took 90min to pick me up). I'll be back this year for some unfinished business.

1x DNF @ IMMT - food poisoning again (I stopped to pee halfway through the swim and nearly sh*t my wetsuit - that would have been fun for the guy on the paddle-board i was holding on to. Cramps started around the 60mi mark on the bike. I rode through it, finishing the bike and started the run taking on salt packets at every aid station. Just after getting out of town, the med staff convinced me to 'have a chat under this tree right here' and that was it, day over - sag wagon took over an hour to pick me up).

I'll say this; a DNF hurts waaaay more than a DNS, physically and psychologically.

P.s I'm not dumping on the folks running medical/sag wagon, they have a lot on their plates on race day. It's just something I never factored in and most people probably don't either. But boy, that is a loooong wait, watching everyone else get on with their day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dns'ed on a road race a month ago. Had a migraine the day before and was too drugged when I woke up the next morning to run. It sucks. It happens. I'm sorry.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: My first DNS tomorrow [GoJohnnyGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GoJohnnyGo wrote:
Come on... Never too late.. Change to the sprint

It’s not a problem to finish an Olympic with 80% effort, but why? It would be annoying to know you didn’t push as much as you could. Also it would just prolong the recovery for another several days.

Nah, instead I’ve done another signature New England event: hike on Wachusett mountain. Feeling better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've only had one DNS, a few years ago. I pre-registered for all 3 of the LA Tri Series races, but developed persistent a-fib between the 2nd and 3rd race. At that point, a 1 hour ride at 12mph was a superhuman effort, so there was no way I could even consider starting. Haven't raced since, but looking at doing a sprint or 2 by the end of this year...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply