Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
My balls hurt! (Medically related)
Quote | Reply
So my naughty bits have been feeling kind of shitty the past few weeks culminating in some pretty harsh pain after a one hour trainer session yesterday. Basically it felt like someone was pulling on my right nut nonstop. Went to the doc this morning. Epiditimytis and a hernia. So two issues in the same general area. I have a surgery consult for the hernia next week so we shall see if I can soldier on for awhile without surgery. A prescription of Cipro should knock out the nut infection.

What kind of recovery am I looking at if the doc recommends surgery for the hernia? 70.3 in 8 weeks and an Oly in 11 weeks would probably be goners. I have IMCdA and IMMT upcoming this summer.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: GMAN19030: Feb 8, 14 6:00
Quote Reply
Re: My balls hurt! [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends what kind of hernia. I had a sports hernia, left side about the crease where the top of your leg bends at the pelvis. He went in and repaired it thru my belly button. 5 days post surgery I ran a 5 K and 5 weeks later I did 1/2 IM. 10 weeks out I did a full. But, it depends on what kind, I think because I'm not a dr.

TEAMFIREFIGHTER.com
STRIVE Omni Sport.com
Get Busy Living - or - Get Busy Dying
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love a chance to tell my hernia story, small hernia above groin on right hand side. Said to the doc, while I am out can you do a two for one deal and blow up the pipelines as we are done on the kids bit.

Sure, why not he says. Great, I think, I don't have to watch that shit going down.

So one of the pipelines is done at the hernia point and one done down on one of the jatz crackers.

All good, a few days on the couch, bit of ice, good to go.

Now I was told that they will never look bigger or blacker, something about that sounded okay, if you know what I mean.

A week later, about time to check the bruising etc.

Now you would expect they would share the pain but no, seam line down the middle, one side black and the other white. The black and white minstrel show, fair dinkum.

Hey wifey, check this out. Funniest thing you have seen.

For the OP, don't go hard too quick after a hernia, you need time for the mesh to mesh.

And if you go the double deal, you are now fully prepared.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cipro!? Be careful with that S---t!!!! Do a quick google on Cipro & achilles tendon. Not good for an endurance athlete. I was given cipro for an infection a couple years ago and wisely only took one dose after warning signals were sounded by all my running/tri friends including a couple former runners who can't run any more due to damage from cipro.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Re: My balls hurt! [Mr. October] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. October wrote:
Cipro!? Be careful with that S---t!!!! Do a quick google on Cipro & achilles tendon. Not good for an endurance athlete. I was given cipro for an infection a couple years ago and wisely only took one dose after warning signals were sounded by all my running/tri friends including a couple former runners who can't run any more due to damage from cipro.

I'm allergic to the 'cillins so I don't have much choice... maybe Zithromax. I wasn't aware of the achilles/cipro issue. Thanks for that.

My balls also hurt too much to run or bike right now so I'm not too worried this go-round. :-)

Last edited by: GMAN19030: Feb 8, 14 8:27
Quote Reply
Re: My balls hurt! (Medically related) [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Epiditimytis is often confused as an inguinal hernia. I'd recommend getting a second opinion before jumping on the surgery bandwagon.. Preferably after a course of doxycycline and the swelling goes down. I had a consult with a guy who was all eager to make some $$ on a hernia repair until it was determined later, after a course of doxycycline and the pain went away, that there was no hernia!

I also had a doc who was certain that I needed fundoplication before I even got a second opinion and an EGD to determine that there was no hiatal hernia there. Sorry, no easy $$ for you, asshole opportunistic doctors.
Quote Reply
Re: My balls hurt! (Medically related) [RZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My primary doc felt the hole, so the surgeon will be the second opinion. The lump also comes and goes so I'm confident it's there but is it surgery worthy right now? Trust me, I'm not one to get any unnecessary medical treatment so I will be very skeptical and ask a lot of questions.

The doc did say the vast majority (if not all) the pain I'm feeling is more than likely from the epiditimytis and I should feel back to normal once the antibiotics do their thing. Jeebus does that hurt.

Last edited by: GMAN19030: Feb 8, 14 8:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea, and it hurts in the worst possible place!
Quote Reply
Re: My balls hurt! (Medically related) [RZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, feels like someone is constantly squeezing and pulling on my right nut.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW I took Cipro (10 days?) this past fall for tyhpoid. had no problems with tendons.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
Mr. October wrote:

I'm allergic to the 'cillins so I don't have much choice... maybe Zithromax. I wasn't aware of the achilles/cipro issue. Thanks for that.

My balls also hurt too much to run or bike right now so I'm not too worried this go-round. :-)

Just be careful going forward. The relation to tendon damage doesn't appear to have much to do with when you stop taking it.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i posted this in another thread related to painful stones. not to make lite of your problem but when i was growing up we would put a tight rubber band on our bull calves and the baby makers would fall off. problem solved. just have the wife install it for you and say good by to your issue.

best wishes hope the problem is taken care of for you.
Quote Reply
Re: My balls hurt! (Medically related) [cjb3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wife took cipro. Wife got hurt next week, out of running for 6 months. I wouldn't touch that stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: My balls hurt! (Medically related) [TunaBoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just read this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC2921747/

FQ induced tendon injuries for the general populace were .14-.4% with the risk shooting up if the subject had kidney problems (renal failure, dialysis) or regimented use of corticosteroids and was over 60. None of those factors pertain to me. They also found the new users of a FQ were 3x more likely to experience issues. I have taken it before.

The risk is very, very small but still concerning. I may call my doc tomorrow and see if he can switch me to zithromax for the remainder.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1 in 200 chance to blow your tendons doesn't seem low to me, and I would expect it is many times that for a runner (who is going to be putting more stress on tendons compared to joe sixpack)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
Just read this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC2921747/

FQ induced tendon injuries for the general populace were .14-.4% with the risk shooting up if the subject had kidney problems (renal failure, dialysis) or regimented use of corticosteroids and was over 60. None of those factors pertain to me. They also found the new users of a FQ were 3x more likely to experience issues. I have taken it before.

The risk is very, very small but still concerning. I may call my doc tomorrow and see if he can switch me to zithromax for the remainder.

You are correct - it is actually LESS common in the Slowtwitch crowd (younger, more active) so even less then .14.-4% (assuming not on steroids, etc.). Huge pool of data on fluoroquinolone use since a very common Rx (like tens of million uses).

However, IF it occurs, it is more disabling to the athlete and there are many other antibiotic choices that should work for your epididimytis (though they have other risks as well).

Re: My balls hurt! (Medically related) [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rodney, would you recommend I call my doc and get switched to zithromax or does it not make sense to switch mid-treatment? Tomorrow will be day 4 of the 10 day cycle of cipro.

Or am I thinking about this too much?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is frightening. I was on Cipro for epididymitis followed by Levoflaxin for bronchitis and have been trying to get my Achilles tendinitis to get better(been fighting it for 6 months). Suddenly it got worse. Thanks for the info, I will make sure I share this with my doc the next time around.

"For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
Rodney, would you recommend I call my doc and get switched to zithromax or does it not make sense to switch mid-treatment? Tomorrow will be day 4 of the 10 day cycle of cipro.

No such thing as thinking about your health too much IMHO.

I'm not sure if the quinolone induced tendinopathies are dose dependent or not, but most antibiotic side effects are so I'll assume so. In that case, might be worth discussing with your PCP to switch if you are worried about it.

Quote | Reply
I had an inguinal surgery this June. The pain after surgery was intense to the point that I was shaking in pain. The pain meds didn't get rid of the pain, but got it under control.

After a week, I went on a 15k bike ride. The moment I got off the bike, things started to hurt. In a follow up visit to the doc, he guessed it was scar tissue build up that would just subside over time. It took about 2-3 more weeks for the pain to subside.

Of course, YMMV, but don't be surprised if you take off a month from training (running, biking). I wish I had dealt with my hernia much earlier and not dealt with recovery it during prime training season.
Quote Reply
Re: My balls hurt! (Medically related) [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rroof wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:

No such thing as thinking about your health too much IMHO.

I'm not sure if the quinolone induced tendinopathies are dose dependent or not, but most antibiotic side effects are so I'll assume so. In that case, might be worth discussing with your PCP to switch if you are worried about it.

I'm not even all that convinced they really know exactly what the real occurrence rate of Cipro (et. al.) and tendon injuries are but it just frustrates me when doctors know their patient is athletic and don't pick something different.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Re: My balls hurt! (Medically related) [Mr. October] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with that.

Quote | Reply
Update...

Second opinion from the surgeon:
- Hernia not bad enough to require surgery yet.
- Infection clearing up but taking longer than I had hoped so my right jewel is still tender.
- The doc said I had a pretty good abdominal muscle pull/strain. He asked if I had overdone it lately. I responded with, "Like riding your bike nine days straight at about your max effort (Tour of Sufferlandria) after having not been on a bike for two months... something like that?"
- He wants me to take it easy for another week or so and let everything heal up.

Hey, I got this cool little badge on my TrainerRoad page though:

Last edited by: GMAN19030: Feb 13, 14 11:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update #2 - felt good for three weeks and now feels like the infection is back (or more likely never completely went away) so my balls hurt... again.

Going to a different doc today. My understanding is that epididymitis often requires more than one round of antibiotics. Hopefully that's the issue and not something else.

I already had to cancel two races because of this and now it's encroaching on my IMCdA and IMMT training.

Last edited by: GMAN19030: Mar 18, 14 6:06
Quote Reply

Prev Next