Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My Watch Just Broke - Opinions for new
Quote | Reply
Group,

My trusty Timex Ironman 100 w/ data link just broke. What are the current recommendations? Note, I really don't think I need the data link feature. I do like multiple alarms. I use the watch for training, racing, and the rest of the day too.

Thanks,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: My Watch Just Broke - Opinions for new [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like my Nike Triax 42. Two time zones, lots of alarms, does everything I need to do. They have other versions if you want more splits (Triax 100, I think). I bought mine for $50 at the Nike outlet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought the Oakley D5 for my wife for Mother's Day after reading the review on the BikeSport site, and it's very cool. I personally have the Timex speed-distance watch with the GPS which I love for trail running especially, but the Oakley is definitely cooler looking and more comfortable (it's case and band are made of one of their synthetics that's softer than the plastics on all the other sport watches I've ever had). The D1 model has something like 5 different alarms and the D1 model has a single alarm so that may be a factor for you based on your post.

Much pricier than any of the Timex Ironman watches (with the exception of the GPS) though - it was $169.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i just bought a aqualite on clearance at walmart for $5. my son lost my old $15 casio on a trip to the local creek with his buddies.

my question has always been how much watch do we really need? all the newer watches are ultra sexy and techno but how much of a value are they?

is there anyone out there who trys to keep things simple and get only what you need?

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the standard Timex ironman watch with 8-lap memory (it holds all my splits in any tri and who needs more than that!). They're cheap and reliable and (except for the bands which I seem to go through every 6 months or so) long-lasting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the multi alarms as well! I've also got the Datalink 100, and the timers and alarms are killer convenient. I think I'm just going to get me the Timex Heart Rate watch, maybe even in addition before breaking this summer. But then, I don't have a HR monitor, so that's kinda why. Guess I didn't really answer the question...

Darrell
Quote Reply
Re: My Watch Just Broke - Opinions for new [hcswede] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Timex Speed and Distance. It's excellent. You will not be disappointed with that product.

That said, I just bought the new Ironman 'slim' line. 100 lap memory, yada, yada. I bought it due to the low profile. Pulling your arm out of your wetsuit top is much easier with the slimmed down watch.

Added bonus: The numbers are LARGE and very readable at a glance.

Added bonus II: The watch band has a little notch on the end which keep the excess band from pulling out of the little band strap.

I really like it.

Good luck.

=============
Adam Duncan
New York, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Timex GPS and would recommend it as excellent value for money when compared to bikes.

I use a Timex 100 lap indiglo for racing as it's thinner and lighter.

Velcro straps last much better than the Timex strap.
Quote Reply