Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My P2 Di2 Build
Quote | Reply

Since IÂ’m recovering from sinus surgery I figured itÂ’d be a good time to write up the build on my new P2. I learned a lot from others whoÂ’ve done similar builds with their P2. Below is the build, routing and some photos. Feel free to ask any questions.

A brief back story. I was on a 2011 Trek SC 9.9 for the last couple of years, which I loved, but wanted to do an actual custom-unique build on a bike. Since the XL SC and the 61 P2 are near identical in reach, but higher in stack, I went with the 61 P2. I paired that with a Profile Design Svet Zero Basebar with the new J5 cups. I went that route because I couldnÂ’t see myself spending $1k for the PD Aeria Ultimate. Plus, the J5 cups gave me the stack I needed with no spacers or risers. End resultÂ… a clean simple 2-piece basebar combo.

I went with the new R8000 Ultegra Di2. Again, couldnÂ’t see myself spending the extra dough for Dura-Ace Di2.

Group Set

FD/RD R8050

TT Bar end Shifter-R671

Basebar brakes/shifters ST-R8060

(which Shimano has gone away with two-button design and now use a single button since they moved to Syncroshift)

Slight disclaimer. I work at a bike shop so I have a full inventory of everything Di2 in stock. Since I was trying to keep this build as clean as possible, I wanted to avoid a 5-port junction block from being out in the open. I thought outside the box and opted for a EW-RS910 junction block, which is used in bar ends for road bars. Junction box hidden.. Check! Now the issue was, how do I get the 4 shifters and the bar end plug port (which is only two-ports) to all work and connect to a 4-plug junction block aka the biscuit? After laying it all out on the counter top, I found that if I took the right two-button shifter and plugged that wire into the junction block, then had the other wire from the junction block running into the biscuit, would make it work. Next issue, I still had 3 other wires from the other shifters plus, the wire that will go from the biscuit to under. Simple solution was, use a Y-splitter (JC-130-SS). So it went like this

-Right brake/wire into biscuit

-Right Two-button shifter from charging port into biscuit

-Left two button Shifter and Left Brake/shifter connected using a y-split into junction. Two wires become one

Now IÂ’m left with one open plug in the biscuit to run my long wire down to the BB. Perfect!

Next idea was where to hide the biscuit but still had access to it and itÂ’s cables? I went with a Cervelo Stem made for Di2 (ST-C026) Shimano also makes a Di2 stem, but I liked the looks of this stem better. Since the Svet Zero bar didnÂ’t have a hole in the back of the bar to allow the wires to poke through. Not a big deal. A simple hole in the back of the bar where the stem is and problem solved.

Note to basebar manufactures. Please start drilling holes in the back of your bars. J

Another modification I wanted to do was delete the brake cable from side entry of the bike and run it through the top tube. Luckily my bike has a huge head tube and had plenty of room for a slight bend. I ended up using a premium brake cable housin since there was going to be a slight bend in the cable and I didnÂ’t want any drag or issues with braking. The Jagwire Road Elite Sealed Brake kit was the choice and man itÂ’s flexible! I ended up running the brake cable below and around the stem because if I were to route it to the right side of the stem, it would hit the junction block. It still resulted in a clean look not visible to the wind.

The rest is pretty much cut and dry with wiring up the front and rear derailleurs and hidden battery in the seat post.

Overall IÂ’ve extremely happy with the turn out and canÂ’t wait to recover from surgery and can ride it. I will be upgrading the brakes and crank to finish off the full Ultegra R8000 build. And still not sure if I plan to run a Tri Rig brake up front.

Thanks for reading!

-Nick

Last edited by: Tall_Coffee: Nov 26, 17 10:34
Quote Reply
Re: My P2 Di2 Build [Tall_Coffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done mine as clean as possible but in mechanical set up. Do you have any pictures straight from the front?
Quote Reply
Re: My P2 Di2 Build [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here you go.
Im trying to embed the photos but my work blocks certain websites
Last edited by: Tall_Coffee: Nov 26, 17 11:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice. And affordable. What degrees stem is that?
Last edited by: Fishbum: Nov 26, 17 11:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What year is the P2?
Quote Reply
Re: My P2 Di2 Build [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stem is -8
Quote Reply
Re: My P2 Di2 Build [mkb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why the 2-button shifters on the ends of the aerobars? You mention Ultegra versus DA, but I use the single button DA's for a smaller size footprint overall and a better shape. I programmed mine so that the left button moves the derailleur left (shift into a easier gear), right to upshift into a harder gear. This works especially well also with the synchronized shifting function. I do have the double button shifters (left side for chainring, right side for cassette) on the basebar/brake/shifter combo.
Quote Reply
Re: My P2 Di2 Build [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new 9160 ones? Two reasons. I'm not sure I'd like the design better from a thumb position standpoint and Shimano wasn't showing a date when they'd be in stock. So I put the older two-button style ones on in the mean time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, the older ones...sw-9071's.

http://bike.shimano.com/...-tt-tri/sw-9071.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What size drill bit did you use to drill the hole in the bars? I have the aeria ultimate stem but not the bar and figure as long as its safe to drill a little hole I could use my current bar and route it the same way as the ultimate bar.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Last edited by: mknight84: Apr 21, 19 6:23
Quote Reply
Re: My P2 Di2 Build [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't remember, but it was just enough for the Di2 plug end to go through. Maybe 1/inch
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
looking very nice and fast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick, thanks for the info.

How did you get the cables from the extensions into the base bar? Is there another hole in the extension? If so, was that one of your mods?
Quote Reply