Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My Dad needs your help!
Quote | Reply
So my 66 year old Dad, never much of an athlete, has recently gotten fairly serious about competing in duathlons. Were it not for 2" of snow and temps in the 30s, he would have attempted to qualify for Long Course Duathlon World's this past weekend. In doing so, he would have been riding a 10 year old Specialized hybrid/commuter bike that weighs probably close to 30lbs and puts him in a position that has roughly the same aerodynamic drag as your average washing machine. So - given that he's older, not terribly flexible and not the sort of guy who pictures himself on a carbon P3 that just happens to be my size..., I need some help steering him towards a bike purchase. I know that fit is the cardinal rule, and I will make sure that he gets fit properly. My real question is where to start. I'm actually thinking he may want something more like a 'comfort bike' that Specialized and Trek market to the people who want exercise but aren't enthusiasts. Am I out of my mind on that? It's not an issue of getting him aero, it's about getting him into a better, more efficient position then he's in, on a lighter bike, with as much comfort as possible. Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: My Dad needs your help! [archistu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trek Pilot.
Quote Reply
Re: My Dad needs your help! [Superman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

How about a cervelo dual

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the entry level bianchi's are quite nice rides these days. check out the brava.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cervelo carbon soloist -- comfortable and aero regardless of whether you are in an aero position

http://iron-boom.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TitanFlex might be pretty comfortable for him, and it's crazy aero.

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sounds like he would be best served by a good road bike with clipon aero bars. look at the felts. price and parts are very good.
Dan...
http://www.feltracing.com/...d=18,19,26&pid=6
take a look at this one.

Dan...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trek Pilot like another poster suggested. Also he might consider getting an adjustable stem so that he can fine tune it when and if he's able to get lower.
Quote Reply