Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My 400 mile review of the DeSoto 400 Mile Shorts
Quote | Reply
I now officially have 400+ miles in these shorts, and what can I say? WOW, THE BEST SHORTS.

First, the material is great. I have washed them at least two dozen times and they are like new.

Second, the pad is like butter. Better than any of my other shorts for comfort, breathability, Flexability, and ability to hold lube (exclusively Assos cream)

Third, the pockets are Awsome. Perfect for my phone, cash, ID, etc.

Fourth, the cut is perfect. Not too long in the leg, but high in the waist, so even my shortest jerseys won't show the back.

Fith, the price is right. $90 retail is the right price for these. I can't see how more expensive shorts would be better, and even though I will look for them on discount so that i can replace my other shorts, i would not mind paying full price.

My hat is really off to DeSoto for these. I had gven up on regular cycling shorts in favor of cheaper Tri shorts (also DeSoto) because I felt that the Tri shorts were better, these have changed my mind.

Nicely done Emilio!

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Re: My 400 mile review of the DeSoto 400 Mile Shorts [bigskyTi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. I have about 300 miles on a pair of bibs. Fit is fantastic for riding in the aerobars. I hope the material holds up as well as the PI's shorts I have owned. The pearls have never been as comfortable, but they have lasted for a lot of miles and washings.

Thumbs up Mr DeSoto!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<< I now officially have 400+ miles in these shorts >>

<<I have washed them at least two dozen times >>

OK, one of these *might* be an exaggeration.... ... or else, I guess you must stop riding every 15-20 miles or so to launder your bike shorts??? I know posters here on ST are OCD, but that takes it to a whole new level ;-)

I've only got about 300m on my 400m bibs, and they've been washed once (so far).

Feel free to say "Eeeew!"

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: My 400 mile review of the DeSoto 400 Mile Shorts [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Thumbs up Mr DeSoto!"

I'm sure Emilio values your comments. And he'd really appreciate a comma in your sentence. At least I hope he would.

Great shorts. Wore mine on a 75 mile ride yesterday.

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: My 400 mile review of the DeSoto 400 Mile Shorts [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't mean to steal this thread, but Murphy, you've got 300 miles on your shorts and you've washed them once? Dude, unless you went on one very long ride that's just weird. Am I the only one that washes their bike shorts every time I use them?
Quote Reply
Re: My 400 mile review of the DeSoto 400 Mile Shorts [trinewby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, s'posedly the name came from Emilio wearing them for 4 consecutive century rides (or something to that effect), so if it's good enuff for Mr. DeSoto himself..... :-)

I wore them for a shorter ride, then 90m, then washed them. Then 2 shorter rides, then another 90m'er. Now they need to get washed again. (although had I gotten outta bed today and ridden, I might have considered throwing them back on again. Yes, that is gross.)

If I washed everything after only one use, I'd spend all my time doing laundry rather than training.

(upon further review, it was probably "only" 250m total. I musta suboncsiously applied the 'ST training mileage calculator' when originally posting that figure ;-) Sorry for the exaggeration.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: My 400 mile review of the DeSoto 400 Mile Shorts [PresbyOpie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the grammar lesson :-)
Quote Reply
Re: My 400 mile review of the DeSoto 400 Mile Shorts [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of shorter rides in the 30 mile range, and I think that I really have about 700 miles in them. OK maybe two dozen is a bit many, but I do wash them after each use.

I can't think of many things more gross than pulling on cold wet stanky cycling shorts.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ewww, ewww, ewww, ewww. Yes, I wash everything after I wear it and this is especially true for my workout clothes. And especially, especially true for garments that are worn without underwear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah , they are good shorts , the pad looks too thin to work . It keeps friction to a minimum . I got mine at the San Diego running institute store , close to I-8 & waring ( local dollar theory ). They are sooo thin yet strong the cooling is like riding Nude . With the high center joined strap bib on the back , sliding your hands under the front straps you can dive out of them in 3 seconds, in a praying sweep forward motion.

As others wrote the pockets are cool , just need a report as to a close second in comfort bib shorts.

I have gel shorts ,maybe 6 pair of sub $60 shorts , these are by far the best. I wash them every 3 -4 rides so 50 - 100 miles seat time .

Heli

I love these super clean shorts people , they use the ass gasket in the rest room / hand sanitizer to not catch the bird flue . Driving their immune system to a super weak level , the first snot nosed Korean that coughs on the side walk ,they are down for a week in bed with the Wong chong flue.
Last edited by: Helitech: Aug 27, 06 12:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<< I can't think of many things more gross than pulling on cold wet stanky cycling shorts*. >>

Me neither. I wouldn't do that, that'd be nasty.

Doesn't your stuff dry out in a few hours? Where do you live, the rainforest?

* To your point above; I remember back in the day, there was a 24hr mtb race team known as Team Hugh Jass. They were totally hardcore, and totally nuts. They would do the entire 24 hr mtb race, on the same singlespeed bike, and all wearing the same pair of shorts. They would switch out the bike and shorts each lap, and the next dude would head out. (I also remember that a goodly amount of ganga was involved, I would think out of necessity given those tactics ;-)

Sorry for the hijack. Back to the DeSoto love-fest, already in progress.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murph, I'm right here with you on the 400 mile shorts. I wore mine for a ride on Tuesday morning for an hour, a second ride Tuesday afternoon for 90 minutes, 90 minutes on Fridey and 2:30 today. I might wash them today - my laundry pile is building up, but between the antibacterial pad and the assos cream, I'm not worried about bacteria building up so they should be fine if I need to use them on Tuesday.
Quote Reply
Re: My 400 mile review of the DeSoto 400 Mile Shorts [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just did an easy 50 mins on the trainer. 1 guess as to what I wore..... ;-)

OK, now I think they could use a good washing. (or not - ditto the Tues am thing)

I woulda gone out for a nice T-run in 'em too (I love running in the rain!), but the Mrs is out and about, so I can't leave the casa while the bambina is napping. Oh well. Probably better for recovery this way anyway.

I'm not sure why people who, as a group, regularly piss on themselves during a race (and then post about it here) somehow feel the need to wear pristine clean clothing to train in. It's gonna get sweaty after a few minutes anyway, so who cares?

As long as they pass the sniff test, they're good to go!

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"as long as they pass the sniff test they're good to go"

you sound like a college student!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: My 400 mile review of the DeSoto 400 Mile Shorts [AmyCO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Ewww, ewww, ewww, ewww. Yes, I wash everything after I wear it and this is especially true for my workout clothes. And especially, especially true for garments that are worn without underwear.[/reply]

Ditto! sounds like a recipe for taint boils.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: My 400 mile review of the DeSoto 400 Mile Shorts [Helitech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"ass gasket in the rest room"

I hate to hijack this thread any more than it's already been, but what the heck is an ass gasket? Are you talking about a bidet? And, yes, I do wash my hands after I go to the bathroom whenever possible. Call me crazy:)
Quote Reply
Re: My 400 mile review of the DeSoto 400 Mile Shorts [AmyCO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ass gasket = the paper things you put on the toilet seat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a pair of desoto tri shorts several months ago (actually, the 1st pair showed up with a hole the size of a quarter on a side seam so I had to send back). I wore them 3 times in the pool, once on the bike, and washed them 2 times. They accidentally got tossed in the dryer on the 2nd wash. They are ruined now. The material has become very thin (read: see-though) and stretched out. I know, it was my fault that they made it into the dryer, but I gotta think over 20+ years that other biking shorts I owned somehow found their way into the dryer, yet NONE of those were ruined.

I'd like to try these 400-mile shorts, but I can't justify that much $ for something that might be ruined if pristine care is not taken of them.
Quote Reply
Re: My 400 mile review of the DeSoto 400 Mile Shorts [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like mine. I've washed and dried them plenty of times this summer. I haven't had any issues with the dryer ruining them. Although I've dried my tri shorts without problems, so who knows?

I like my 400 mile shorts too. They're comfortable, although the fit seems a little odd? Maybe I'm just used to the way the PI stuff fits? It's almost like my shorts are a size too big or something? Or maybe my PI shorts have always been a size too small. :)

I don't know if they're any more or less comfortable than anything else that I've ridden though. I find that time in the saddle and some good chamois cream are my only real keys to making long rides better. I've only used these for my longest rides this summer because they're the newest pair of shorts that I have.

You certainly can't beat DeSoto's customer service, though. For that reason alone, I'll probably buy more (and more and more) pairs of them...
Quote Reply
Re: My 400 mile review of the DeSoto 400 Mile Shorts [Drinyth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting.

I blamed the problem on the dryer, but who knows what actually ruined them. I suppose it could have been chemicals in the pool, detergent in the washer, heat in the dryer, or maybe they just couldn't handle the nearly-super-sonic speed while I was wearing them? :)

Anyway, I didn't bother trying to get them replaced, because I figured something 'I' did was the cause of the material's failure. Maybe I'll mail them back, tell my story, and see what happens. Worst-case scenario, they throw them in the trashcan instead of me doing it.
Quote Reply
Re: My 400 mile review of the DeSoto 400 Mile Shorts [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would blame the pool swimming for your tri-shorts issue. Unless you really rinse them well right after leaving the pool the lycra is not going to resist the chlorine. Better would be to use the Speedo Endurance suits for the pool. They last forever.
Quote Reply