Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My $20 custom frame pouch - DIY filling the triangle
Quote | Reply
The need for a frame pouch is probably non-existent for triathletes, but I thought I would share a DIY project I have been working on.

I have always used a triangle frame pouch for my rides that are over 200 miles, but the pouch I used always bulky and not very aero.

Below is my my $20 custom frame pouch

Supplies:

$1 - Poster board (Walmart)
Hold the poster board behind your frame, then draw a triangle template using your frame as a guide.

$8 - Fabric (Walmart)
Thick with a somewhat plastic backing is best. It will not fray when you cut it and it will be strong when the sides are pulled tight around your frame tubes.

$13 - Bulk velcro w/ glue backs (Amazon) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AI28QFU
This stuff is amazing. I used about 1/4th of what I purhased. The rest can be used for other DYI projects around the house.

$0 - 2 x zippers (Aunt)
Amazon sells these but my aunt had a lot laying around.

$0 - Thread (Momma)
My mom already had thread and a sewing machine. The triangle seams and zippers were pretty easy for her to sew even though she only gets the sewing machine out once a decade.

Tools:

Pencil
Chalk (great for putting marks on the black fabric)
Scissors
Sewing machine
Ruler

I designed this pouch a couple months ago but finally got around to making it. My mom helped me with the sewing. It took us about 2-3 hours total to make the pouch. I spent the evening at my parents house and helped my dad build a pergola. During down time, my mom and I would work on the pouch on and off.

The pouch velcros around the top tube, bottom tube, and upper portion of the seat tube. I also velcroed the bottom of a xlab stealth pouch to the top of the custom pouch. Both pouches can be removed and put back on in under 2 minutes. Additional tape can be added to secure small pieces to the frame.

In the below to pictures, I was able to fit the following items in my pouches:

• lock
  • patch kit
  • tire boot
  • extra contacts
  • cash
  • 7 x gels (flask)
  • 6 x energy bars
  • sunscreen
  • coconut oil
  • chamois cream
  • multi-tool
  • tire levers
  • tire jack
  • pump
  • tape
  • 2 x spare tubes
  • toe covers
  • arm coolers
  • charging bank
  • 7 x lights

This frees up my jersey pockets for other needs (example: phone, more food, directions, kitchen sink etc).

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: My $20 custom frame pouch - DIY filling the triangle [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s really nice. Well done.
Quote Reply
Re: My $20 custom frame pouch - DIY filling the triangle [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could sell those! Even if not for racing per se, having extra storage on a long training ride could come in handy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beautiful work you've done there. For some reason the ride back from Hawi pops into my head when I see it and that makes me shudder uncontrollably.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: My $20 custom frame pouch - DIY filling the triangle [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

I took it along my first ride on Saturday and it help up great. No flapping or coming loose.

I will try to upload a picture tonight of the pouch detached from the bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice! And a hell of a sail in a quartering wind!

Have you thought about trademarking the design and pitching it to any cycling accessory companies?

"It's Ironman - it's supposed to be hard!"

Author of "Letters to a Driving Nation: Exploring the Conflict between Drivers and Cyclists." http://www.brucebutler.ca
Quote Reply
Re: My $20 custom frame pouch - DIY filling the triangle [Cycling nation] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a pic off the bike

Last edited by: bluestacks867: Jun 16, 18 8:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your seat is crooked
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Enough room for my penis pump?
Quote Reply