Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Must move to Hawaii (Oahu) - Where to live to train?
Quote | Reply
So, I'm being "forced" to move to Oahu this summer (ok, after 20+ years in the Navy, they are finally giving me what I want). Suggestions on where to live so I can more or less pop out the door and swim/bike/run? Hawaii Kai is out...too far from work. Ewa is out...too much traffic in/out. Thanks for the input.
Quote Reply
Re: Must move to Hawaii (Oahu) - Where to live to train? [toughie96] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure but wherever you live, get a place with a guest home and offer discount prices to STers. I bet you'll get a big boost to your training by quite a few of us coming out to train with you.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Must move to Hawaii (Oahu) - Where to live to train? [toughie96] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I lived in McGrew point when I was a kid in the 70s. It's in Aiea. There was a local pool just a short ways up the bike path that ran along route 1.
Quote Reply
Re: Must move to Hawaii (Oahu) - Where to live to train? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My dad (Original Ironman) lives in Waikiki for 33 years and loves it, there is a huge culture for running, that being said, biking can be tough, lots of tourists taking pictures, swimming is really great, swim pier to pier and rack up some miles in no time, plus the scenery and sights are really great, I like the north shore, K bay, Laniki, Sunset beach, Waimea bay, the traffic sucks, so commutes can be rough, if you have to go to the other side of the island, the best thing about Waikiki Beach is when your done swimming or running, you can't go wrong with Tiki bar right near Lifeguard tower T1 (Hale Koa Hotel) near Ft. DeRussy, being military, you will really like it and they have the best Mai Tai's on the island (Be careful) hope this helps, thank you for your service, even if you where not a Marine O (Just Kidding)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at Kailua, drive the LikeLike Hwy, probably a shorter commute then from Hawaii Kai, you can also live around Diamond Head, near Kapiolani College, but your commute will have you leaving the house at 5am if you work down at Pearl and have to drive through downtown.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had an apartment in Downtown Honolulu. I thought it was a good spot as I could run around town and swim at ala moana beach park during the week. Only downside was riding from there. I would usually only ride outside on weekend mornings when there is hardly any traffic and would usually ride down around diamond head. Seems like folks that tried to ride on around to windward side from Honolulu / Waikiki got hit or run off the road frequently. On the weekends you can really go anywhere for a swim workout; lanikai was my favorite in the winter and Waimea Bay in the summer when its flat. Also did bricks on weekends on North Shore by dillingham. Would ride farrington hwy then run out to kaena point....but don't do that on a nice bike or it wont be there after your run.

Other benefit of living downtown is you walk to great food and drink. As we preferred downtown nightlife over Waikiki... minus Yardhouse...love that place in Waikiki.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well congratulations to you brother (retired Navy). I spent 7 great years on the island and lived in Ewa Beach but back then they used to let you kayak across the inlet of Pearl Harbor from the Iroquois pt. housing. Don't know if they still let you do that but it was 15 minute paddle or an hour drive into Pearl ( I was stationed at MDSU-1 on Hickam AFB). You could also ride your bike on the trail too. Your problem will be the commute, lots of traffic on the island! I also lived in Kailua & Kaneohe which is a little longer commute but nice training on that side. The racing on the island is amazing and their are lots of great groups to train with after you get settled. Check out the guys at BOCA Hawaii. They have a nice shop downtown and Raul used to have lots of group workouts. Gary's bike shop in Waipahu used to be the hook-up for getting your gear cheaper. Enjoy your time there cuz you will miss it later! Fair winds and following seas brother.
Quote Reply
Re: Must move to Hawaii (Oahu) - Where to live to train? [donhensley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All,
Thanks for the info. Wife and I are both familiar with Hawaii (I lived there in High School, she lived there for 10 years out of college) but neither of us have been there in a while, so appreciate the recent feedback.

@ Tri-Banter: Good idea! I'll make it a training camp!

@ Indigo: McGrew has been recently renovated, so all the houses are really nice. Location is good for work, but does not seem like a "gathering spot" for group rides/runs.

@ usmultisport and HiKai: Downtown, Kapilolani area look good, but worried about the traffic getting home from work...probably headed in early enough to avoid the morning rush. Wife is leaning towards this area, so I may not have much of a choice. I know ITB is down in that area, do they organize anything?

@ usmulitisport: SUBmarine O!

@ donhensley: I'm told you can still kayak across. Wife knows BOCA and Raul well, but from years ago. Sounds like they are still good to go. I've been looking at Kailua/K-Bay, but like I said earlier...my vote counts for little and that is ok...she makes the magic happen, she deserves what she wants.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are going to be working at Pearl, I second Aiea. There was a nice trail that went from the gates of Pearl, all the way around the bay for many miles. I used to run or ride my bike the 4 miles into work in less than half the time it took to drive it. The trail had water stops along it and I used it for most of my runs prepping for the Honolulu Marathon. The drive sucks though, as I remember getting home that same 4 miles could sometimes take an hour.

So, are you a Nuke or a Coner? Either way, good on you, unless you are a Boomer Guy. Eh, still good on ya.
Quote Reply
Re: Must move to Hawaii (Oahu) - Where to live to train? [tacozilla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha ha...neither Nuke nor Coner...I'm the worst of all...an O-ganger! So far, I'm 4 for 4 on SSNs (Billfish, Jefferson City, Albuquerque, Buffalo), one more to go and since I've never been on a boomer, I'll get a fast boat. If we end up in Aiea, I'm sure I will be commuting via bike or foot, so hopefully can avoid being stuck in or run over by the crazies in their cars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have lived here for three years and love it. I live on Hickam work up at Wheeler Army Airfield. Drive for me is not bad against traffic. My wife goes to UH downtown so a little worse for here. Some of the advantages of on base are pool options. There are three pools for me to choose from within 10min. I also can go to the Hickam beach and swim (not the best beach, but it is there). If you live downtown (I would live there if I was single) there are Masters swims at UH and many clubs meet for rides and runs at the parks downtown. Running you can do anywhere. As far as riding goes on base there is a 12mile loop with no traffic, but boring and flat. There are some other loops close by with not much traffic. The bike trails here are not the best. They have some, but upkeep is not great. Riding on weekends we head up to North shore area early before all the tourists get out on the road. You can PM me if you have any specific questions.

Racing here is limited. Lots of running races. A Tri every month starting in March (not all on Oahu). A good open water swimming club and swim series. There are also bike races from Crits to TTs that have a good following and of course the weather is great.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Must move to Hawaii (Oahu) - Where to live to train? [triromad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From a fellow '96er that is being "forced" to leave Oahu and a fellow Ironman, I would strongly recommend Kaneohe or Kailua. I live in McGrew and with the exception of the commute, I hate it. the governing company, Forest City is borderline criminal. Anyway, I travel to the northshore/windward side for most of my training anyway. the commute is 25-35 minutes every day and your BAH will cover everything but a mansion on the water. There are some good pools in Aiea/Pearl Harbor but you can hit those before/after work with no problem. You should look up PacVelo when you get here. GREAT training group with great sponsors. IMHO, the best bike shop, hands down is IT and B. The owner is a former Submarine Supply Officer and the entire staff at the shop is awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Must move to Hawaii (Oahu) - Where to live to train? [Mission0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What area is the temperature coolest? Does anyplace have consistent highs that are only 70f-75f or cooler?
Quote Reply
Re: Must move to Hawaii (Oahu) - Where to live to train? [DamonHenry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any update on what your final decision was? Any good feedback? The Navy is "forcing" me to move that way next March and I would love to hear how your experience worked out! I am working at Pearl harbor as well, so we are looking mostly at the Aeia area but are open to suggestions. we cut ewa beach off the list for exactly the same reason, that commute looks terrible. I have the added complication of having my 1-year-old daughter in the CDC on base, so I will be commuting to and from work with her. I would love to be able to run or bike to work, but would need to find a route that keeps me off the roads the entire time. Anyways any feedback from your experience would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Quote Reply