Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Musselman Rollcall
Quote | Reply
Good afternoon everyone!
Just reaching out to see who's racing on Sunday? I booked this race in 2019 and had to defer twice. Glad were finally getting to race across borders.
First time heading to upper New York state. The area looks awesome. Any good suggestions for places to eat the Saturday or Sunday after the race? Wife says there are a ton of breweries and wineries in the area. We are pretty flexible as we are camping near by.
Can't wait for the energy on Saturday at check in. Daughter will be doing the ironkids run as well.
Any tricks or tips for this course? Doesn't look to bad for hills (my nemesis). Are the roads in good condition?
Weather might be the x-factor as it's calling for a high of 29 and all sun!
Hope everyone's ready and well trained and has a great race.

Cheers

Quinner
Quote Reply
Re: Musselman Rollcall [Quinny98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife and I are racing! As of right now, the weather looks like it will be pretty perfect. We get in on Thursday, so hoping to ride some of the course Friday/Saturday and drive the rest. I don't know the conditions of the roads at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quinny98 wrote:
Good afternoon everyone!
Just reaching out to see who's racing on Sunday? I booked this race in 2019 and had to defer twice. Glad were finally getting to race across borders.
First time heading to upper New York state. The area looks awesome. Any good suggestions for places to eat the Saturday or Sunday after the race? Wife says there are a ton of breweries and wineries in the area. We are pretty flexible as we are camping near by.
Can't wait for the energy on Saturday at check in. Daughter will be doing the ironkids run as well.
Any tricks or tips for this course? Doesn't look to bad for hills (my nemesis). Are the roads in good condition?
Weather might be the x-factor as it's calling for a high of 29 and all sun!
Hope everyone's ready and well trained and has a great race.

Cheers

Quinner

Please use Freedom degrees.......

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there racing in the 35-39 age group. I am local to the area. The area couldn't be more beautiful for a 70.3 and the weather is as good as it could ever get here!
Quote Reply
Re: Musselman Rollcall [TriTeacher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My recollection from last year is a few rough patches on the bike, but they they were well marked. I'd still be prepared so you don't launch any nutrition.
Quote Reply
Re: Musselman Rollcall [swissalps88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
swissalps88 Jul 5, 22 13:36
My recollection from last year is a few rough patches on the bike, but they they were well marked. I'd still be prepared so you don't launch any nutrition.

I asked about this in the race Facebook group and a local told me they changed the route to remove Towline road, which was the rough part. I think it's also flatter than it was in prior years.

Better late than never.
Quote Reply
Re: Musselman Rollcall [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My apologies. I thought Iā€™d use the system that 7.5 billion people use compared to the 360 million lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced Musselman last year and am racing this year. Itā€™s a really nice course. Road conditions were good for the bike and a decent amount of crowd support on the run.

Heads up on the parking situation in the morning. They funnel everyone to park at a State Park just east of transition. Be prepared for a 20 minute walk in order to get to transition from your car.

In terms of food:
Wegmanā€™s for groceries
Monacoā€™s for coffee
Beef & Brew (get the beef on weck) and Char for food
WeBe for brewery

Enjoy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1

Should be a breeze unless the temp raises above 29 (French) or below 29 (British).

Which could totally happen :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will be there! I live in Geneva so this is my hometown race, will be my 3rd time doing the half.

Weather looks absolutely perfect right now, hardly any wind and decent temps.

Def give yourself some time to park the morning of the race but don't get too overwhelmed -- when you first get in line to park it seems like a lot of cars but tends to move quicker than you would think.

Favorite restauraunts in Geneva:
Beef and Brew (as already mentioned)
Parkers, Eddie O'Briens, Twisted Rail for more pub food
Halseys if you want a nice more "formal" sit down dinner
Bella's Steakhouse (out of town on 5&20 towards Waterloo)
Bella's Italian Ristorante (carb loading)
WeBe Brewing if you just want a beer (great craft brews but very limited menu, ony a few snacks and not even sure if they are offering anymore)

Tons of wineries on 14, take your pick!

Hope you ejoy the area and the race! Good luck to all participating on Sunday!

PS- rode the bike course a few weeks ago, the worst stretch on Townline (as already mentioned) has been removed. Some parts slightly bumpy with road cracks especially off of Kennedy coming back into town on East Lake Road. Overall a quick, scenic course that is 95% smooth.
Last edited by: rickt411: Jul 6, 22 5:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a CNY native and will be racing m35-39. Weather looks amazing!
Quote Reply
Re: Musselman Rollcall [JDugan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like everyone is in the M35-39 AG lol. Myself included.
Weather does look amazing. I wish I was in better shape and this was my "A" race!

A quick question for some of the locals and maybe for those who have done this race before, is there an area for swim warm up?
I've heard of a lot of people going where they weren't supposed to and cutting their feet on mussels.
Quote Reply
Re: Musselman Rollcall [MidLifeCrisis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah that is awesome - it was already a beautiful course. Sounds like they made it even nicer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm racing Musselman this weekend, 1st long-course race since IMMT in 2015. Wife and I are staying at a cabin 20 minutes down the road, travelling there from Waterloo ON. My 1st triathlon was down in the Finger Lakes region way back in 1991. Have returned to race there periodically over the years and looking forward to the weekend.

Unfortunately just recovering from an almost 3-week illness - although rapid tests were negative it was likely Covid as daughter and wife tested positive . This means I am all-in on the reverse taper: 1st workout after ilness was a 2-hour ride on July 4. Followed up with a 1:15 run yesterday and got through it just fine. Today another ride and swim should put me back in the game. Unfortunate timing because I was in pretty good shape in early-June and was probably on the cusp of a roll down slot for Worlds in the old-man age group: M55-59. With the increase in spots to StG, still maybe a possibility if muscle memory takes over.

Lots of racing this weekend in Muskoka, Musselman and down the lake at Watkins Glen. Have a great race everyone racing, and thanks to all the volunteers!

Cheers, @Kid
Quote Reply
Re: Musselman Rollcall [rickt411] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the great information. I'm looking forward to racing and good to hear about the roads.
Natalie

---------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We might be there (Mrs. would be racing). Really depends on how my recovery from COVID is (I'm on Day 7 here and it's the first day I can say I don't feel like death warmed over).

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wife and I will be there. Itā€™ll be my first tri since 2012, and my first endurance event since ā€˜15. Last year I suddenly realized Iā€™d hit 255 lbs, which at 6ā€™4ā€ didnā€™t seem THAT bad. Signed up for this race and over the winter cut out alcohol and junky foods and worked my way down to 175 lbs. I feel like my late 20ā€™s self again (now 42).

Between two toddlers, COVID, nagging calf issues, and a hectic work travel schedule training has been spotty. But this should be fun. Still waiting for my bike and run speed to really come backā€¦ likely another year or so, but it just feels great to be out there again.

--------------------------------------------------------

It seemed like a good idea at the time. . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was supposed to be my A race this season but covid had other plans. Technically Saturday is the first day I'm cleared to travel but I didn't want to drive all the way out there (6 hour drive) the day before the race, especially given my lack of preparation over the last week and a half. Will be racing Maine 70.3 at the end of the month instead. I'm bummed as the race looks beautiful and Augusta is a significant downgrade from Geneva, but I have a bunch of friends racing Maine so at least there's that. Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!
Quote Reply
Re: Musselman Rollcall [rickt411] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rickt411 what was your mileage when you rode the course?

when i did the race in 2014 it was a little long, but course is quite a bit different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™m racing Sunday as well, M30-34. First IM branded event. Good luck everyone!
Quote Reply
Re: Musselman Rollcall [favata1213] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My course ride was part of an overall 85 miler that day so unfortunately I don't have the info readily available. If it's close to last year it's a little short of 56, 55.X but not too far off.
Quote Reply
Re: Musselman Rollcall [favata1213] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
favata1213 wrote:
rickt411 what was your mileage when you rode the course?

when i did the race in 2014 it was a little long, but course is quite a bit different.

I did the tri club preview ride with RATs a couple weeks ago and my Garmin shows 55.48.

--------------------------------------------------------

It seemed like a good idea at the time. . .
Quote Reply
Re: Musselman Rollcall [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Update: we pulled the plug. Figured we don't need to have me potentially spreading omicron around.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Musselman Rollcall [type-B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
type-B wrote:
Wife and I will be there. Itā€™ll be my first tri since 2012, and my first endurance event since ā€˜15. Last year I suddenly realized Iā€™d hit 255 lbs, which at 6ā€™4ā€ didnā€™t seem THAT bad. Signed up for this race and over the winter cut out alcohol and junky foods and worked my way down to 175 lbs. I feel like my late 20ā€™s self again (now 42).

Between two toddlers, COVID, nagging calf issues, and a hectic work travel schedule training has been spotty. But this should be fun. Still waiting for my bike and run speed to really come backā€¦ likely another year or so, but it just feels great to be out there again.

Youā€™ve already won dropping 80 lbs. nice job

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quinny98 wrote:
My apologies. I thought Iā€™d use the system that 7.5 billion people use compared to the 360 million lol.

I prefer the system used by 100% of the countries that have landed on the moon.

Prev Next