Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Muskoka 2018 vs 2017
Quote | Reply
Looks like a different race. In 2018 something like 125 people go sub 5 as per sportstats. In 2017 only 35. Was it just the course or course plus weather? 1500 participants is that a pretty high ratio of people going sub 5? https://www.sportstats.ca/...s.xhtml?raceid=93803

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 2018 vs 2017 [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bike course is different. It is an out and back for 90k vs. 94 for old course around the lake. Easier ride too.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 2018 vs 2017 [TOTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, that explains it. I heard of some of the people going sub 5 and was surprised. Sub 4:50 sounds like the old sub 5 just based on numbers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Better roads, WAY better roads, and an accurate bike course. Loved the new course!
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 2018 vs 2017 [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. Last year with the venue switch back to downtown was a huge improvement. The 90K out and back course was perfect. The scenery is constantly changing so at no point do you think it's boring or repetitive (unless you think constantly going up and down hills is repetitive). The road conditions this year were super. Only a short stretch of some sketchy pavement that was well marked. The rest was very good. Not sure if the run course change made it easier or harder, but I had a slower time this year than last. Could have been the warmer conditions and wind. In my opinion, Ironman needs to consider making this a pro race again. It totally deserves it. I also think it will continue to sell out at this venue and using this course. No reason to revert back to the 94K loop around Lake of Bays in my opinion.
Last edited by: drluke12: Jul 9, 18 7:14
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 2018 vs 2017 [drluke12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, as someone that has done the full and half here many times this was the best overall course by far.

I asked a number of tri friends why they finally decided to join me this year and they said because they “fixed the bike course, by making it accurate and eliminating the horrible road conditions”. They also said the run was nice for there families.

I hope the Trimuskoka crew and all are reading this as this could be an auto sellout every year with this course. It was great to see it sold out! So happy for the team and town :)

drluke12 wrote:
I agree. Last year with the venue switch back to downtown was a huge improvement. The 90K out and back course was perfect. The scenery is constantly changing so at no point do you think it's boring or repetitive (unless you think constantly going up and down hills is repetitive). The road conditions this year were super. Only a short stretch of some sketchy pavement that was well marked. The rest was very good. Not sure if the run course change made it easier or harder, but I had a slower time this year than last. Could have been the warmer conditions and wind. In my opinion, Ironman needs to consider making this a pro race again. It totally deserves it. I also think it will continue to sell out at this venue and using this course. No reason to revert back to the 94K loop around Lake of Bays in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with every one. This was my fourth consecutive and by far the best course. I really didn't like the swim last year but it was OK this year with all the swimmers being kept to the right side of the river, it actually caused less congestion. The bike course had the best pavement (no absolutely crappy and dangerous Dwight Beach Rd.) and it was nice to ride just 90 km. It wasn't easy, but was a little easier than previous years. I felt the run was an easier course but it was very pleasant and spectator friendly despite the conditions being the warmest of the last four years. And the volunteers were especially helpful this year. I hope the organizers read this thread. Keep it the same and you will attract more newbies, and sell out again. Job well done!
Quote Reply