Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Musing of racing in the US vs EU
Quote | Reply
I just finished my first season of racing in the US after having lived the past 20 years in Europe, of which last 10 in Italy.

Below are my thoughts. Would be curious to know if others share / don't share my experiences:

1. Greater variance in abilities (finishing times) in the US. I guess similar to income distribution, there is a much broader bell curve in the US compared to Italy. While the winning non pro times are def faster in the States (no amateur does 4 hours there), at the same time, you don't have many folks requiring more than 5.5 hours for a flat course half.

2. More dangerous in the US! Granted, I might be very biased as I had a massive crash 2 months after moving back to the US so I am more sensitive... but nonetheless, I def feel racing stateside is more dangerous caused by three factors: busier roads, crappier roads, more congestion (see point below). In Italy, Sunday is the designated rest day which means cycling heaven. Very very few cars on the road. Races were open to traffic but really a non issue. Here I had a couple of scares in Musselman which is held in any area with very low population density. Crappy roads - Italy is mocked for having very bad roads compared to France and Switzerland (I concur haven't cycled in all 3 places). But the roads in the Northeast are far worse.

3. Congestion. In Italy I primarily did local races which typically had 200 - 400 athletes. Here it seems more WTC dominated (I haven't done an Olympic yet since back; next year) so many many more folks. Last weekend in AC 70.3 I def felt the congestion in the 3 lap course. I did 2.16.xx for the bike course and I didn't feel relaxed overtaking the many many slower cyclists. Never had that issue or feeling racing across the pond.

4. Porta potty. I only did one race in Italy that had Porta potties (Italian championship), here there are tons! Never have seen Porta potties at aid stations, people just pee on the side of the road (or in their race suit). Different level of comfort with nudity

Overall very different experience.

Hope this is useful for some folks
Quote Reply
Re: Musing of racing in the US vs EU [ejd_mil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do you have 2 of the same threads?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Musing of racing in the US vs EU [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not sure I understand.

Did it get somehow posted twice? If so, not sure how that happened...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Delete one of the threads. You have 2 of the exact same posting.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Musing of racing in the US vs EU [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roads much worse in NE USA

Yes for sure. Partially thanks to bear and sub zero Fahrenheit temps in the winter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the chance to ride around the Tuscany/Sienna last May. I was very jealous of the roads compared to what I’m use to in the Northwest states and Montana. That said. A few years ago I was in Alabama for the collegiate national championships and the road in that area were like glass. So it can be very dependent on where you are in the US.

I agree that the bell curve is wider in the US. Kinda fits the mantra of 5e us in general. We’ve got some of the best and fittest individuals in the world, but we also have the highest rate of obesity.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ejd_mil wrote:
4. Porta potty. I only did one race in Italy that had Porta potties (Italian championship), here there are tons! Never have seen Porta potties at aid stations, people just pee on the side of the road (or in their race suit). Different level of comfort with nudity

Not so much comfort with nudity as sexism in my view. Far fewer women race in Europe than NA which means far less complaints about women having somewhere to pee.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in the U.S. but have raced a lot in Europe (e.g., Ironman Norway, Ironman Sweden, Ironman Germany, Ironman Switzerland plus ITU long course in Sweden, Holland, and Switzerland, and the 70.3 WC in Austria. My comments follow:

1). Yes, the U.S. races attract many more marginal athletes. European races are dominated by men and there seems to be a cultural expectation that you should not be out there unless you are reasonably fit. That's a generalization though because I've seen some very fat folks at races in Europe, although they tend to be more rare than in the states. Maybe that's why Ironman races in continental Europe often have a 16 hour cut-off?

2) More dangerous in the U.S. That's too big of a generalization to make. I damn sure would not want to do most of my training on the roads in England! It would depend on your specific location in Europe and your specific location in the U.S.

3) Congestion. Yes, Ironman branded races in the U.S. tend to have a lot more people - in general - than Ironman branded races in Europe ... that's why I go over there! Ironman Norway had ~525 finishers this year ... that race would never have happened in the U.S. because here they are corporate owned while most (or all) Ironman races in Europe are licensed.

4) Porta Potties - they have been at all the IM races I've done in Europe. The only difference in Europe is they'll put those quad/outdoor urinals in transition for the guys to keep the porta potties free for people who really need them.

5) Cheerleaders. You didn't mention this, but most of the races I've done in Europe have cheerleaders at the finish. That probably won't fly in the U.S. except for Ironman Florida which has the unofficial "Girl Zone" - the best run course entertainment - bar none - on the circuit.
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Sep 27, 18 12:48
Quote Reply
Re: Musing of racing in the US vs EU [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting, comments, thanks.

Never seen the cheerleaders!

Dangerous: based on two datapoints in the state of NY. Paucity of data, agreed. Just my impression so far. And as I mentioned originally, no doubt framed by an accident that took me 3 days into the ICU.

I lived in London for 7 years and cycled to work. I felt surprisingly comfortable doing that. I then moved to Milan and tried that twice and never did it again, felt way too dangerous with the motorists including motorcycles and scooters. I then bought a scooter and commuted in that way.

Thanks for your comments
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lived in England for 2 years long ago but was only running then ... road, track and cross country. The differences from the US were profound and Running Times magazine (defunct) published an article I wrote about them. Between living there (Norfolk) and subsequent trips, I've pretty much driven the country from top to bottom. There are some rural roads that would be OK, but in general I'm glad I don't have to train on a bike there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve done 3 IMs in Europe and 3 in North America. Aid stations at European races were far dirtier than US races. Lots of old cups, sponges, towels, bottles, etc dumped everywhere. North American races seem to do a much better job of keeping aid stations neater throughout the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Musing of racing in the US vs EU [Patrick E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which ones did you do in Europe? Fortunately, I did not have your experience. But if I could bitch about one thing it is that Europe has not yet discovered ice! I can't count the number of times I've spewed a hot drink out at an aid station. Apparently they think leaving water and cola to bake in the hot sun is exactly what triathlete's need when the temperatures soar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Which ones did you do in Europe? Fortunately, I did not have your experience. But if I could bitch about one thing it is that Europe has not yet discovered ice! I can't count the number of times I've spewed a hot drink out at an aid station. Apparently they think leaving water and cola to bake in the hot sun is exactly what triathlete's need when the temperatures soar.

Switzerland, Austria and Hamburg. I really like racing in Europe, but the aid stations at these three races were noticeably messier than those I’ve seen in the US.
Quote Reply
Re: Musing of racing in the US vs EU [Patrick E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hate to hear it! I did Switzerland in 2016. On every lap of the run they had picked up and bagged all trash, then consolidated aid station tables as more finished. Very, very clean, but perhaps they learned from earlier years ... plus 2016 is when they changed the run course to go right downtown for the 20th anniversary race...couldn't mess up the downtown venue. I also did Powerman Zofingen (Switzerland) in 2014 ... it was pristine. When I raced Worlds at Sell am See, Austria, the annual 70.3 was the day before the WC 70.3. By the time the regular race was done you wouldn't have known there was a race that day as it was completely cleared for Sunday's event. I've been lucky.
Quote Reply