Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Muncie Race Report
Quote | Reply
(Wife and I agree this is more boring than the Steelhead RR I posted last year - sorry. Perhaps a better executed race leads to a more boring RR).
Muncie 70.3 was my second race at that distance. At my first, Steelhead last August, I did the classic “go out too hard on the run and blow up in the second half” routine. My main goal for this race was to do the first 67.2 miles under control so I could push the last 5k of the run and finish strong.
TL:DR - Overall I achieved this. I hoped to go under five hours, but that was a secondary goal for a fairly arbitrary number - highly dependent on course and conditions on the day. I paced things well and enjoyed the end of this race much more than the unpleasant walk-run at the end of Steelhead.
Total time:
5:04:26
33 of 176 finishers in my 35-39 age group.
205 of ~1500 total finishers
I came into the race pretty well-trained. As a teacher the summer is my prime time for big volume. Steelhead’s early August date allowed for an additional month of big training hours than Muncie, but I had a good base of fitness. The three and a half hour drive from Lansing was very easy. I hit significant rain as I got closer. Significant enough, in fact, that they had closed up registration three hours early! The registration tent had collapsed, bikes were blown around, the parking area looked like a tractor pull, huge puddles were everywhere. We were told that registration would open at 4:00 the next morning.
I slept at the Harris Chapel Church of the Nazarene. They are located about a mile from the race start and offer food, a spot to sleep and even an air mattress for $20. My teammate Ron and fellow Lansing-area athletes Mike and Mike were there as well, and it was good to have familiar faces to hang out with. We even helped another athlete with a flat car tire. I got the bike set up and did an easy ride on the run course and on part of the very nice Cardinal Greenway trail that runs through the area. I had to turn around at one point because there was so much water rushing across the trail. There were also plenty of fallen branches to dodge.
More specifically I slept in the Harris Chapel parking lot. I wanted to give the newly constructed bed in the Big Red Adventure Van a try. I figured there was no danger of being awoken by snoring, etc. and I could leave whenever without disturbing others. I ended up leaving my bike inside with Ron and Mike V as they planned to wake up at 3:30 as well. Sleep wasn’t the best - I forgot to pack a blanket, so I slept in my long clothes and may have even covered myself with my sot acoustic guitar case.
Waking up was easy. The bike ride to the race wasn’t the best - the early registration meant I was biking in the dark and that there was a fair amount of traffic from other athletes coming to register. I was thankful I’d brought a front and rear light and even more thankful that the cars were all extremely polite to me and gave me a wide berth. Registration was quick as I was one of the first there, which left me tons of time before the 7:10 start. I like being able to take my time before a race. This was excessive, but I’d rather have too much time than not enough.
Transition opened not too long after registration. I ate a rice pudding and set up my gear. I mosied around, checked out the swim and the exit up to transition. At 6:15 I caffeinated and hit one of the many, many porta potties. Eventually it was time to put on my wetsuit, get in the water and do some warm up swimming. They played the anthem, the first group went off, and I left the warm up area and went to the swim corral.
Swim - 1.2 miles, 35:58 (swim portion was under 35) 40/ 274
This swim was wetsuit-legal, unlike Steelhead. I’m not quite in the swim shape I was last year, but pretty close. My goal was to swim a steady effort but not “burn any matches”, hopefully getting out under 35 minutes. Mission: accomplished. I was able to find clear water reasonably quickly and kept a pretty straight line all the way around. The clock showed 34 something as I exited and ran a few hundred yards up to transition. It was a nice warm up to the day.
T1 - 3:33
Smooth transition - put on my watch and helmet, grabbed my bike and headed out.
Bike - 56 miles 2:35:11 (21.65) 42/ 236
Last year my sport watch stopped working the morning of the race. It only showed time, which was spectacularly unhelpful. This year I brought a backup watch, so of course the main one worked. Having speed and cadence was very useful. The pavement was as nice as advertised, and while the course was a little more rolling than I anticipated, I’d call it a fast bike course. I worked to be aggressive, but stay fairly steady with cadence and effort. I ate three packs of Cliff Shots on the bike and drank my full between-the-arms bottle of Gatorade Endurance (these were the on-course options). Unlike Steelhead, I did not need to refill my bottle. I took a water bottle from the last aid station just to...rinse off before finishing the bike.
21.65 is a fine speed. I know I could go faster, but the goal was to be conservative and finish the run strong. As my strength and confidence at this distance grows I’ll likely push the bike harder in the future, but I was happy with my effort this time. I felt very comfortable on the bike, due in large part to a fit from Jessica Bratus at FITMI this winter. Hunter and Jason at Evergreen Cycles and Repair got the bike running smoothly and it was an efficient, uneventful ride.
T2 - 2:37
Uneventful T2. Put on my shoes, belt and T4 visor, grabbed my arm sleeves and headed out.
Run - 13.1 miles, 1:47:07 (8:11) 33/ 219
This is where, in cliche triathlete fashion, things fell apart last year. I settled into a good rhythm heading out of transition and put on my white cooling arm sleeves. While the temperature was unusually mild, only hitting low-70s for my run, I still wanted to keep as cool as possible. Around mile 2 I locked in with a guy from Kentucky who was running a similar pace. It was my extreme good fortune that he was very nice and appreciative of having someone to talk to. I wanted to keep my heart rate below 160 to start and keep a somewhat conversational pace. Muncie is extremely hilly - I truly don’t remember a single flat stretch. You were always going slightly up or down, which made the pace vary considerably. Heart rate and effort were better guides. We kept a steady pace up to the turnaround point, sensibly speed walking through every aid station. I drank some here and there, but my main focus was ice down the suit and in my hands and water over the head/ suit. Keeping cool was the priority.
At the turn I knew I’d need a (improbable) negative split going back to come in under 5 hours. I picked up the pace a bit and left my run buddy, allowing heart rate to get into the 160s. While I was going faster, I could tell 5 hours was not realistic at this point. Rather than overreach I chose to hold it steady and keep the heart rate in the 160s. I continued to go heavy on the ice at aid stations, drink a little and nurse a gel. Kentucky running guy eventually caught and passed me - I tried to go with him but could not.
Turning the corner by Harris Chapel, I knew I would make the last mile with no trouble. The goal became to keep steady effort and run through the line. Last year at Steelhead I was anxious to get to the finish and sit down before I fell over. This year was better. I ran strong to the line and had plenty of energy for a smile and a fist pump - a much preferable way to finish a race!
Racing intelligently and finishing well with some left in the tank gives me confidence to perhaps take a few risks next time. Knocking 7 minutes off my time last year, on possibly a slower course, was great. I think getting under 5 hours is a realistic goal on the right course, and I certainly have room to go much faster. I appreciate Zack Weber and Nathan Kark from T4 Multisport for helping me get to this place, working with my schedule and building me up. Most of all thanks to Liz and the boys for putting up with me leaving in the morning and coming home sweaty. While triathlon is healthier than, say, competitive eating or wing suit flying, it still is a selfish sport. I appreciate the opportunity to train and race.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Muncie Race Report [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good job!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Muncie was wetsuit legal? I've done this race several times, albeit years ago, and I don't ever remember the temp being below 85.

It's always been hot tub temps.

Steelhead on the other hand, I've done once, and I remember it being a little chilly. Can't remember if it was wetsuit legal but if it wasn't it was a degree to two off.

Last edited by: Kilo Juliett: Aug 1, 17 19:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good gains in performance and confidence. Well done sir.
Quote Reply
Re: Muncie Race Report [Kilo Juliett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Non-wetsuit surprised a lot of people at Steelhead last year. Thankfully the lake was calm. I'm a decent rough water swimmer, but I know many who are not.

We apparently had an unusually cool Muncie. It was barely wetsuit legal.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like my main race this year might be Muncie instead of Rev3 St Andrews, due to timing the rest of the family vacation.

Looks like I probably shouldn't worry about getting a wetsuit this year? If I can save $200+ this year, that's a bonus. How windy was the course?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Muncie Race Report [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My experience is only one year, but I would think you could easily do it without a wetsuit, especially with your swimming prowess. Winds were not crazy.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, just trying to figure out if I need to plan to take my shallower rims (tubulars) or will the trispoke clinchers be fine. I'd prefer to ride the trispokes.

That's $200 that can go into a "new-to-me" frame, I've changed my position a lot this year and my current ride is now too small.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(Quote) "I slept at the Harris Chapel Church of the Nazarene. They are located about a mile from the race start and offer food, a spot to sleep and even an air mattress for $20" (Quote)

I wish all races offered something like this as it would help with doing away with the idea that tri is only a "rich person's sport". And really it is not as the person can do just fine with a used bike (say $500), cheap running shoes ($60-$70), a Speedo ($20), and a T-shirt ($5). OK, in an Oly dist race you might lose a min or maybe 1.5 min (maybe 2.5 min if race is wetsuit-legal) due to not having all the aero gear and clothing but, unless you're pretty fast to start with, then it won't matter much besides making you 33rd out of 180 in 35-39, vs maybe you might be 30th with all the aero stuff.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Thanks, just trying to figure out if I need to plan to take my shallower rims (tubulars) or will the trispoke clinchers be fine. I'd prefer to ride the trispokes.

That's $200 that can go into a "new-to-me" frame, I've changed my position a lot this year and my current ride is now too small.

Ride the trispokes.

I have done this race several times and can't remember the wind ever being very significant at all.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should have no issues with the tri spoke wheels. Every time I have done that race I have used Jet9 with a disc. As for the wetsuit, one year I did it somehow it was wetsuit legal but I think that was very unusual.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Muncie Race Report [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
You should have no issues with the tri spoke wheels. Every time I have done that race I have used Jet9 with a disc. As for the wetsuit, one year I did it somehow it was wetsuit legal but I think that was very unusual.

I just signed up for Muncie, little nervous. Last 70.3 I did was a disaster (of my own making, lack of prep will do that)

For the church "accomodations", do you just show up? Book a reservation? I'm gonna have my camping gear with me, so I might set up the van for sleeping and leave the wife and kiddo in Indianapolis with my sister while I go race, as I understand once you finish, you're kinda stuck there until the race is done, at least that's what I heard on the Crushing Iron podcast - Muncie preview show. As an aside, I really like that podcast, I'm working through their library of shows on the trainer and treadmill. One of the more entertaining ones out there. Or are there things to do at the venue that will keep a 3 year old and a 40-something non-triathlete entertained?

Anyone else going? We'll have to do a meetup or something before the race.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Apr 11, 18 6:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still on the fence about this one. I'm either going to make this my first 70.3 or steelhead. Just not sure. It's about 1 hr from my house. I get to sleep in my own bed but If I go to steelhead I can turn it into a late summer family vacation and rent a place in Michigan with the family. Does anyone know which would be more entertaining for my family (wife and 3 boys 6, 3, 1)?

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Being from Indiana, Muncie has been my "home" race for the last few years. Wetsuit legal swims have been rare, but not unheard of. Though if it is legal, it is very close, and I've preferred to skip the wetsuit and been just fine.

As far as the winds go it's never been so bad as to avoid deep dish wheels. Some years required skipping a disc, but the tri-spokes should be no issue. Bike course is fast and smooth, save for one bridge transition and (previously) the 5-mile stretch out of and back to transition. With the winter we've had here, potholes are a real concern, but I'm sure there will be updates on road conditions as we move into the summer.

Importantly, Indy is still an hour plus away from Muncie, and I-69 (the route to Muncie) is a construction-riddled disaster zone. Fortunately, it's generally not too much of an issue at 4 a.m. going north. Anderson is considerably closer, offers a few hotels, but is generally boring. Trust me, I attended college in Anderson, there's nothing to do.

You are generally stuck at the race site until most of the competitors are finished, at least with the bike. BUT, you get a true Indiana delicacy for your meal: Nelson's Port-a-pit Chicken. Eat that up, it's delicious. Don't forget the Pit-tatoes, they're amazing as well. Nelson's is only available in Northern Indiana, and having grown up there but living in Indy, Muncie is like a once-a-year homecoming feast.

If you leave the wife and kids in Indy, there will be TONS for them to do. The Children's Museum just opened a new sports-themed interactive experience, and it's getting very high marks. There are some great parks, probably a few things going on downtown Indy (which boasts free weekend street parking), a few other neat museums (the Eiteljorg is worth seeing, and so is the Indianapolis Museum of Art, and Newfields), all of which are kid-friendly.

I'm hoping to do Muncie, but with the end of law school quickly approaching, final exams, bar prep courses, and trying to find a job, it may not be in the cards for me this year. If I can be of any help though, please let me know. I'm happy to answer any questions I can.

Brenden Macy
Sports & Entertainment Attorney
I am Drive. I am Grit. I am Determination.
Quote Reply
Re: Muncie Race Report [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRugby wrote:
I'm still on the fence about this one. I'm either going to make this my first 70.3 or steelhead. Just not sure. It's about 1 hr from my house. I get to sleep in my own bed but If I go to steelhead I can turn it into a late summer family vacation and rent a place in Michigan with the family. Does anyone know which would be more entertaining for my family (wife and 3 boys 6, 3, 1)?

Yes. Family.
Steelhead. By a longshot.
And not just because my family has been vacationing near where they run Steelhead for decades.
I faced a similar choice.

That being said...

I went with Muncie for my first. The idea being that the swim is less likely to be cancelled. Surprisingly, it's not terribly common to cancel at Steelhead, but it has happened. That lake can go from boring to super dangerous in the blink of an eye. I didn't know if it would be my first and only attempt at a 70.3 when I was choosing. You might have a little more confidence than I did, so that may not come in to play.

Muncie organizers make up for the lack of "exoticness" by hammering race details. Closed bike course. Run course? If it's not actually closed, it might as well be in practicality. I don't recall seeing one car on the run. The way they handle difficult parking/access (only 2 ways in/out) and 95% using the northern access. Couldn't be handled any better. Don't expect to have your wife drop you off right outside transition. They will firmly direct you right into a parking lot. Otherwise, you're holding up everyone else. Maybe a half mile easy walk away. If that. The course is excellent from a detail standpoint. Meh from a sights/sounds/exoticness/challenge perspective.

And just not much at all for the family. I think there's a playground there. Maybe a shaved ice truck and maybe another food truck or two. Nothing of terrible interest nearby that would allow them to get out and back before you're crossing the line. That's about it. It's a race. I didn't even bring the family.

Steelhead? I might as well not bring the family. I'd never see them. They'd be at the beach. In town eating Blue Moon and fudge. Picking blueberries. Running up to Saugatuck to ride the Dune Schooners.
Quote Reply
Re: Muncie Race Report [aj```] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I first did Steelhead about 10 years ago and did it 4 times. Each time I went to Steelhead the transition area became smaller with more hot pavement, there was less shade, fewer concessions, fewer toilets, parking was further away. Eventually my family refused to go to Steelhead. I have now done Muncie the last 4 years and the family loves to go there. Lots of grass and shade, lots of room.

If you want a nice area for a family vacation after the race go to Steelhead, if you want the family to have a nice pleasant environment on race day go to Muncie.
Quote Reply
Re: Muncie Race Report [ONDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ONDave wrote:
Interesting. I first did Steelhead about 10 years ago and did it 4 times. Each time I went to Steelhead the transition area became smaller with more hot pavement, there was less shade, fewer concessions, fewer toilets, parking was further away. Eventually my family refused to go to Steelhead. I have now done Muncie the last 4 years and the family loves to go there. Lots of grass and shade, lots of room.

If you want a nice area for a family vacation after the race go to Steelhead, if you want the family to have a nice pleasant environment on race day go to Muncie.

Interesting take. And good to know as I will do Steelhead one day and head up the road to Macatawa for some vacay after, so the family will be around. Then again, like I said, my wife would completely 'bail' on the race at Steelhead and take the boys to the beach and then Kilwins. If she brought my kids to Muncie she would have murdered me afterwards, as my overstimulated hellions would have driven her nuts over those several hours with nothing to go see/do nearby. They don't handle being dragged out to watch Dear old Dad huff and puff around for a few hours. But, yes, it's grassy and shady. I'm assuming that public beach never opens that day for public swimming? Pretty rocky anyway, if I recall.

Then again, she did make it through Louisville with two of my kids. Of course the older one had his phone and nearby hotel access to recharge and the younger one (9) was soooo fascinated by the "Beer Bridge". He still brings up "The Beer Bridge". He also could have thumped on the finish chute for days.

Michigan pros:
-Blue Moon ice cream
-fudge
-blueberries
-Vernors

Indiana pros:
-breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches the size of your head
-White Castle at the highway interchange you get on to head home

Tough call.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
jrielley wrote:

I just signed up for Muncie, little nervous. Last 70.3 I did was a disaster (of my own making, lack of prep will do that)

For the church "accomodations", do you just show up? Book a reservation? I'm gonna have my camping gear with me, so I might set up the van for sleeping and leave the wife and kiddo in Indianapolis with my sister while I go race, as I understand once you finish, you're kinda stuck there until the race is done, at least that's what I heard on the Crushing Iron podcast - Muncie preview show. As an aside, I really like that podcast, I'm working through their library of shows on the trainer and treadmill. One of the more entertaining ones out there. Or are there things to do at the venue that will keep a 3 year old and a 40-something non-triathlete entertained?

Anyone else going? We'll have to do a meetup or something before the race.

I travel to this race because my wife & kids love it. They set up shop by the playground, the food vendors are right there, & they hardly have to move to see all three legs.
Quote Reply
Re: Muncie Race Report [brmacy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brmacy wrote:
With the winter we've had here, potholes are a real concern, but I'm sure there will be updates on road conditions as we move into the summer.

A friend of mine did it last year and said it was all fresh pavement minus the first/last 2 miles. I just saw on the Muncie facebook page that was paved recently so the entire bike course was now fresh pavement. Do you still think potholes will be an issue? Sounds like everything is pretty smooth.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Muncie Race Report [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And it's those first/last 2 miles that are the problem. They've repaved the same section pretty much annually, but never the part that I wish they would. Expect potholes to be an issue.

Also, expect bridge transitions to be an issue. Tons of bottles get ejected in one particular spot every year, don't fall victim to it. Make sure your stuff is secure.

Brenden Macy
Sports & Entertainment Attorney
I am Drive. I am Grit. I am Determination.
Quote Reply