Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mulit-sport Bike
Quote | Reply
After reading some of Dan's more recent articles on bike set up/geometry, I am intrigued by what he describes as a "multi-sport" position. Somewhere between road and true "tri" geometry. I am relatively new to triathlon and come from a cycling background. I am riding a Trek OCLV with shorty aero bars and, of course, STI shifing. Although I recognize the advantages of the steep seat tube bikes, my familiarity with more slack geometry and the abundance of hills in my area have kept me on the road bike. Is anyone riding this multi-sport geometry (74-76 degrees)? Is this the best compromise for those limited to one "street bike" (the other one is a mountain bike)?
Quote Reply
Re: Mulit-sport Bike [Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode this way on a Giant TCR. Used a neutral off set seat post and pushed the seat forward. Gave about a 75/76 degree angle. Used one size smaller Syntace C2's.

It worked quite well. Have a look at the Cervelo Soloist. This bike is a road geometry but with a turn around seat post that gives 73/74 or 75/76 and was designed specifically with the multi-sport position in mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Klein. Original fit was a (buy a guy named Chris Nurre who has been selling the "Original Fit Kit"to dealers since 76 I think. 58cm.6 degree seat post and 125mm stem. He put me on a 3 dgree seat and 110 stem with syntace aero's. Has worked great for me. I feel very centered,still have good handling. I live in Montana by the beartooth mountains. Have no problem going over the pass. On hard climbs just sit back. I am not very experianced,but this bike I love so i ride.(which will probably make me a better rider more than anything else.Just a newbees 2 cents,though nothing compared to the people here. Remember i said I am a "newbee"
Last edited by: Kenney: Aug 10, 03 17:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm currently riding a Trek OCLV with a zero setback seatpost and the seat slid all the way forward on the rails to about 76* effective seat angle. I'm using a pair of medium Syntace C2's with a 90mm stem. I think this is a pretty good position, but I'm still planning to buy a tri bike as soon as I can afford it for 3 reasons:

1) despite the fact that I'm comfortable on this bike, the handling is a little sketchy, and I think I could be significantly faster at 78-79* (impossible on this bike).
2) I'd really like to return this bike to it's intended geometry, where it really excels. It's still a nice-riding bike in the current setup, but not the same sort of personality.
3) Ideally the Trek would become my dedicated training bike with Power Cranks (so I don't have to keep swapping them on and off).
Quote Reply