Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mtn Bike component question
Quote | Reply
Hi There,
Planning on doing a bit of mountain biking in the Aussie off season.
Looking at a new Mountain Bike, exact same bike but can buy with either SRAM Eagle XO1 or Shimano XT 11 speed
SRAM is more expensive but is it worth the extra cost?
Anyone have any thoughts?
Jonboy
Quote Reply
Re: Mtn Bike component question [Jonboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hard to go wrong w eagle, bigger gear range. I also just prefer sram mechanical shifting over shimano (road and mtb). I like shimano electronic for road and prefer their mtb brakes, so I don’t have an overall brand bias.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like eagle a lot, it's a great pick in either GX or X01. In general I prefer sram, and I don't see myself buying another Shimano equipped bike in the near future. However, that's really just personal preference, there's is no real 'reason' behind it. Shimano XT is Shimano X-feakin'-T, you're really not going to go wrong with it.

As said above, Shimano brakes are also very good. I wouldn't really say better, but Shimano and SRAM brakes are definitely different (I'm pretty interested in the new sram G2 brakes). It's all about what you like. If you're new to MTB and don't really know what you like, then it doesn't matter, you're choosing between two really solid options.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started cycling with MTBing, I have ridden for sure at least 10.000 miles on a XT 11 speed. Shifting is still fast and crisp. Breaking is superb.
The range is actually 3% better on the small ring / large cog (easiest gear) with the Shimano 2x11 than with the Sram’s 1x12, however with no front derailed Sram is easier to shift and a little lighter and you will never drop a chain (although with the 2x12 it only happened to me once). Having however a 2x11 gives you a smaller difference between gears for a more precise gear selection.

For me you cannot go wrong with either, I love my Shimano xt and my riding pal loves is eagle.
The braking of the XT is definitely better.

Btw, Shimano makes also a 1x12 Xtr...,

I train now mostly indoor for my triathlon with my P2, Elite Direto and TrainerRoad, but in the summer I still use my MTB once a week for climbing my alps, gives me freedom, no cars and climbing builds muscles

My 2 cents
Quote Reply
Re: Mtn Bike component question [roberto6464] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GX derailleurs are a wear part as are all of the eagle pulleys.
XT is far better build and longevity than GX for the same price.
All Eagle cassettes cost a fortune.

Shimano brakes are in a different world than SRAM, and it is a better one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I haven't used SRAM, my 11 speed Shimano bikes are the best shifting bikes I've had, better than my road stuff even when dirty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jonboy wrote:
Hi There,
Looking at a new Mountain Bike, exact same bike but can buy with either SRAM Eagle XO1 or Shimano XT 11 speed
Jonboy

I have GX eagle on my FS and XT on my hardtail. They are both awesome. The XT has a firmer, heavier shifter feel, which is very positive. It feels great. When you are fatigued, it may be a small issue.

Bottom line, both are great so you are really splitting hairs.

As mentioned above, take a look at wear replacement parts. SRAM are more money, but amortized out over $/mile, it is not much.
Quote Reply
Re: Mtn Bike component question [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As the others have already mentioned, they are both really good.
Personally I would go with the XT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The biggest difference between the 2 (that you would notice on daily riding) is shifting ergonomics.

SRAM is a little push / big push with your thumb only, Shimano is index finger upshift / thumb downshift (and a big push does multiple gears).
Some people really prefer one or the other.

- Oh also, SRAM brakes use DOT brake fluid (same stuff you put in your car) vs. Shimano which uses mineral oil. I prefer Shimano in this case because I do my own brake service and DOT fluid is not great for your health.
Last edited by: Sim: Apr 21, 19 8:50
Quote Reply
Re: Mtn Bike component question [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:

I've heard a lot of people say stuff like this, but it has not been my experience. I have XTs on my SS and SRAM Level Ultimates on my FS. Even with new pads and rotors on the XTs, i get a ton of noise. It sounds like an angry goose every time i brake. I've read about other people having that issue too, especially when they leave the bike hanging by the front wheel (which I do). My SRAM brakes have remained silent, and that bike hangs right next to my SS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:

This.

A common upgrade for SRAM, no matter what level, is to toss the brakes in the garbage and replace them with XT or even SLX.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:

Ever since Sram was invented I've heard mechanics complain about Sram's poor QC and longevity compared to Shimano. I'd go Shimano for sure. Or Campy for road.
Quote Reply
Re: Mtn Bike component question [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
lyrrad wrote:

Ever since Sram was invented I've heard mechanics complain about Sram's poor QC and longevity compared to Shimano. I'd go Shimano for sure. Or Campy for road.

I’ll beg to differ.
I’ve had some SRAM stuff hold up for a crazy long time, and take some serious abuse and keep on keeping on.

Both MTB and road.

Agreed on brakes - I’ve heard SRAM disk brakes are not, shall we say, the most robust, so I only use Shimano for that.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1x is so much more enjoyable on an MTB than 2x. Of course the shimano 2x can be converted, but that is extra expense to consider
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jonboy wrote:
Hi There,
Jonboy

XO1 Eagle is worth the extra cost in my opinion. My only beef with Eagle is that I'm not a fan of the shifter ergonomics (but that's a personal thing). Besides that, Eagle is *the* standard in MTB groupsets. That big dinner plate 12th cog really does help on steep climbs. After you use it, it's tough to go back to a 42t. I got to ride the new XTR 12 speed group in Sedona last month. Shifting was smoother but otherwise not a big difference vs Eagle.
Quote Reply
Re: Mtn Bike component question [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
1x is so much more enjoyable on an MTB than 2x. Of course the shimano 2x can be converted, but that is extra expense to consider

I'm not sure there's anything to indicate that this is a Shimano 2x system.
Shimano 1x systems are great - if anything they have more functionality as the RD can be used in 1x or 2x configuration, whereas SRAM 1x RD's are specific to that application.

(Disclosure, I work for a Shimano owned company).

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply