Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Mt. Everest
Quote | Reply
Who's done it? Who's planning in doing it? I set a goal to reach the summit in 7 years. I'm 26 now. If you have summited it, what kind of training did you put in? What experience did you have prior? Is 7 years reasonable?
Quote Reply
Re: Mt. Everest [Socalbeachbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no desire to ever do Everest, but I have always wanted to to a two to three week trek in Nepal, perhaps Everest base camp even..So I will be interested in the responses to this thread, so anyone that has done the treks there please chime in..And I know the country there is in a state of turmoil, but who has been there recently and knows what the real situation is??? I hear politically it is a mess, but that the tourist trekkers are pretty much left alone..Doesnt matter who is in power I guess, tourism is going to fuel the economy....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't climbed it but wanted to point out a great series on the Discovery Channel: http://dsc.discovery.com/...d/everestbeyond.html

Really amazing look at a team of climbers over 2 different seasons.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting goal. Just curious about why Everest? What other high altitude climbs have you done? For some reason the more climbing and hiking I do the less Everest appeals to me. Denali and Mt. Logan are certainly very intriguing and some other peaks in South America are much more appealing right now.

What climbs are you doing this year to work towards your goal? I am thinking about taking a 7 day mountaineering course in the Sierra's this summer and then going for my second CA 14er. Not sure how much closer this gets me to Denali, but I am not in a rush.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Who's done it? Who's planning in doing it? I set a goal to reach the summit in 7 years. I'm 26 now. If you have summited it, what kind of training did you put in? What experience did you have prior? Is 7 years reasonable?

I want to badly. I'm 19 so I have lots of time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stopped mountaineering and got into tris, I did climb lots of other cool peaks, never everest though.

sometimes I think that I should go for it.

If you are serious, I would take a mounaineering course and start climbing, rock climbing, hiking peaks etc etc.

as far as trainiing, lots of the good climbers I know mountainbike tons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been there, haven't climbed it. Don't know where your goal came from, but forget it. It's the greatest of goals, but in the end pointless given the death rate coming down of those that have summited. You need to read Into Thin Air by Krakauer for some perspective.

Any reasonably fit person with a high tolerance for cold and low oxygen has a good shot at summiting... it's coming down that's hard. Don't forget technical mountaineering skills too... hard to pick those up in a summer.

If your really serious, and not some Mdot tattoo poser type, you'll summit K2 instead.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Mt. Everest [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw the first season on Netflix, it was pretty amazing. I also read Into Thin Air, and saw Touching the Void, so between all these things, I am totally a climbing expert.

I'm always curious about the people that climb Everest. Maybe it's the same as the people who want to tell their friends they did an Ironman. The mountain is littered with oxygen bottles, ropes, underqualified climbers, and dead bodies. Yes, dead bodies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a friend at 12,000 ft on Aconcagua (one of the seven summits) as I write this, hoping to summit on or about the 15th. She gave me a book I can recommend to you... "Into Thin Air" by Jon Krakauer. I highly recommend it, gives a fantastic account of what it takes to attempt Everest and what can go wrong. There is also a movie by the same name.... book much better. Sorry, I have no climbing experience so can't help with any advice.

Good Luck, it's a great goal !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your prerequisite should be Mt. McKinley the long south buttress route.Before you even take that bite there are alot of baby steps.
Quote Reply
Re: Mt. Everest [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monty,

I hiked for a few weeks in Nepal, doing the standard Everest base camp out and back hike that everybody does. It was an amazing experience, so beautiful, rugged, austere, and full of life all at the same time. The Everest summit circus was also a good side show once I got up to base camp. The Sherpa people are an amazing and interesting culture.

Once you get past the ticket to Kathmandu, and then the turboprop and helicopter hops to Lukla, the economy is all local, and day to day. Nobody's getting rich up there, and you're not paying alot for your nightly chipati, tea, and a place to sleep along your hiking route.

If I had it over again, I'd do the Annapurna circuit... more beauty without the Everest hype.

Luckily, I was there in 2001 when things were more stable. Everything I'm telling you is 8 years old, so better bone up on the interwebnets.

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Mt. Everest [cour10ay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got a big collection of high altitude mountaineering books that has completely convinced me I have NO desire to do it but am also fascinated by those who do.

Read:
Boys of Everest
Mountain Madness
Eiger Dreams
The Climb - Gives an alternate account of the Everest disaster
Savage Summit: The Life and Death of the First Women of K2
No Shortcut to the Top - self serving and not well written but still a good book to have read.

I've got others but these are the ones I remember

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Mt. Everest [ericM35-39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of my co workers who's a very experienced climber got airlifted off McKinley for frostbite and another oxygen related illness (dont remember which one).

Even Denali is quite a risk, good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Mt. Everest [furiousferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have read into thin air, and for some reason it wanted me to do it even more. I have had a fascination with that mountain since I was 14 when I did a report on Sir Edmund Hillary.

I have no mountain climbing experience. Which is why I set my goal to attempt it in 7 years. I was hoping some one who has actually done it would chime in and tell me if that is not enough time to prepare.

I do plan on doing K2 prior to Everest. As to why I want to do it?? Same reason we all joined this sport...to test ourselves. Now I understand Everest and an Ironman are drastically different. Something about being on the top of the world really gets me going.

And as Sir Edmund Hillary said "We climb mountains for the hell of it."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would climb Everest in a heartbeat. It does cost upwards of 100k. That is what is currently preventing me. Also, the fact that the summit season is only 3 weeks with about 50 teams waiting to summit make it very risky. Unless you have a disability you will be waiting in a long line of rich novice climbers.

"Addicted to Danger" is another good book about climbing death. I am the same as you, the more people tell me it is too dangerous the more I want to do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My assumption is that you are one of two basic types--1. A hardcore, experienced adventure guy who in addtion to lots of cool tri/adventure races you've also climbed extensively, both technical and alpine. You have summitted a number of peaks--certainly 14ers and perhaps some of the 18k+ peaks in South american or Denali. If this is you, ST is not the right place to look for advice. 2. You are a gung-ho bring it on guy who has kicked some butt in tris but has no legit experience in alpine mountaineering. If this is you then you should either do a mountaineering course and climb a serious low altitude mountain like Rainier (I would strongluy recommend RMI and their 4 or 5 day programs) or you should forget about it. Everest or anything above 6000 meters is no place for novice gung ho types--people, especially people like you die there.

Check out my 2009 Rainier, Shasta summit posts (on my websire under the 2009 season tab) if you want some detailed beta on the experience.

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: Mt. Everest [Amstel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It costs around 25k-60k including permits from what I understand. I hardly doubt that the people attempting this are novice. I don't even think you can get the proper permits if you don't have a good resume showing you can climb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard the permit was 60k. And I have watched the Discovery channel "Everest Challenge" and they were all novice. Read the books listed above. There are countless stories of people with very limited mountaineering experience buying their way to the top of Everest. It is not a technical climb. If you want to impress your friends and neighbors go to K2. It is cheaper and it very well may kill you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Climbed Denali in '97. An experience of a life time!! If you seriously want to persue mountaineering, I would suggest that you contact American Alpine Institue (http://www.aai.cc/) and begin with one of their basic Alpine courses (http://www.aai.cc/...ramDetail/alpinism1/) on Mt Baker. You will begin to learn how to properly move in that type of enviro. and that's where you need to start.

From there you can move on to some intermediate climbs like Denali if the fire is still burning. Impossible to describe the experience, but I can tell you that it is well worth the investment of time and $$$$.

Good luck!!

--------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by: mtnvet: Dec 7, 09 17:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you obviously haven't read any of the books on Everest... most ALL of the people doing the attempts are novices, led by guides which is why it costs so much. You could probably do it for free if you did it solo.

you're sounding like many first time IM attempters... my advice is to read some of the books, familiarize yourself with the situation, and then head to a climbing gym.

Everest is the Disneyland of 8000m peaks, kind of like IM Florida. If your really an athlete, you'll do K2 (Silverman, that one in Norway, etc.)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

How much cash do you have and do you value your job (assuming you have one) is the question you should be asking yourself. Climbing big mountains is very expensive and takes a huge amount of time.

Here is my climbing resume to date (over the past 6 years)
*12 day mountaineering course in Ecuador (1st trip I did)
*Summits of Cotopaxi, Cayambe and Chimbarazo in Ecuador
*3 summits of Orizaba in Mexico
*1 summit of Rainier
*1 summit of Aconcagua
*1 summit of Denali
*2011 Cho Oyu
*Spring of 2013 Everest

I do not live in a mountainous state, so my training consists of training for triathlons. That is actually how I got interested in doing triathlons....to build and sustain fitness for my climbs. Once a climb date gets closer, I start adding in "hikes" with a heavy pack.

I have a friend who had zero climbing experience and decided he wanted to climb Everest after watching the Discovery Channel series a few years ago. He signed up for a 12 day mountaineering course in South America in the Fall, then signed up for Aconcagua in the Winter, then signed up for Denali in the Summer, signed up for Cho Oyu in the following Fall, and then did Everest the following Spring. So he went from no climbing experience to summiting Everest in 1.5 years. However, he did take the necessary steps to make sure he was ready for Everest by doing the other climbs. He was just able to do it quickly because he has tons of cash and no job.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me....better than reading through some of the ridiculous responses you have gotten so far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a very good friend who did it 2 years ago, we've been ice climbing together for about 10 years now. He is also a dedicated endurance athlete so I say a bit crazy but in a fun way, very inspirational to be around him because nothing is too big. It took him 3 tries, along with summiting Ama Dablam, and Acongagua. I've asked him the same questions, he pretty much says that it costs a lot (but he was the team Dr. so it saved him some money), you need to find a good liason to get you the passes required, you must find a very reputable outfit to go with if you are not planning on going solo (a group that is not too big, and has your life in mind above all), he trained by going up and down local mountains with a 60lb pack a few times a week and just general fitness, he is well versed in rope skills, navagation, climbing, and intelligence. But, he did mention that with all of the training, you lose most of it because of the travel time. By the time you get to the mountain, you've lost close to 6 weeks of just uncomfortable plane rides, bus rides, etc. Then, you only have a little window to get acclimatized and get to the summit and down without a major storm moving in. Summit fever is very dangerous, have a backup plan of going again just in case! Good luck to you, I'm sure it is a life changing experience and one of total commitment, if your in it 110%, you'll be safe, suffer a lot, but will experience total fun about 5 days after!!! Climb hard brother.

The Rat Snake:
A Tribute Race at Gilbert Lake State Park, Laurens, NY May 16 2015
Follow the Rat Snake on Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A little story about a climber (not me)

Last winter I was doing some alpine skiing at a hill close to Seattle, Summit at Snoqualmie. I start talking to the guy next to me on the chairlift.
Me: Have you skied a lot?
Him: No this is y first time on skis
Me: Are you used to snow?
Him: Yes, I climb a little
Me: Interesting, I can tell u are a foreigner (like me), where do you climb?
Him: I am a guide at Everest
Me: You said climb a little, have you been on Everest??
Him: Yes, 7 times
Me: quiet
Him: But skiing is harder
Me: I really do not think so….

He is working for one of the companies that organize guided trips to Everest here in Seattle. It was really cool to talked with him. He was thought. By the way, he picked up skiing in a day…
Quote Reply
Re: Mt. Everest [ericM35-39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
ALL of the people doing the attempts are novices, led by guides which is why it costs so much. You could probably do it for free if you did it solo
wrong, they are experienced mountaineers. You can't do it solo and you can't do it for free. There are laws, regulations, permits etc governing who can climb it, when and how much it will cost

Quote:
head to a climbing gym
why a climbing gym? so you can get acclimatised to the 10m altitude. Everest is not technical, its walking up a steep, bloody high mountain, involving crossing a glacier, crevasses and ice climbing, freezing temperatures, long days and altitude. Which skill is the climbing gym to provide

Quote:
Everest is the Disneyland
The man is asking about the highest mountain in the world, not the 2nd highest! And you wont see any overweight whales walking around with hot dogs and popcorn

Nepal is a stunning country and the the trek to Everest base camp would be a good place for you to start. But rather than deter you, I suspect this will make your desire stronger. Sounds like you've got a few years to build into it so you would obviously climb a number of smaller mountains in that time. I trekked and climbed all through the Andes, but Nepal , the scenery, the people and the massive peaks was my greatest experience. No climbing though as it is very expensive - makes triathlon look cheap
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I have no mountain climbing experience. Which is why I set my goal to attempt it in 7 years. I was hoping some one who has actually done it would chime in and tell me if that is not enough time to prepare.

reply]

I will be blunt. You are basically saying you want to do IM Hawaii, when you have not even done a triathlon. I don't think anyone who has any experience in the mountains would take this seriously.

I am not trying to belittle your goal, but if you have not climbed anything yet, how do you even know if you have any interests in climbing and what it takes and/or understand the risks? Until you are on an actual mountain when things start to get a little bit difficult I don't thnk you can even begin to appreciate the risks.

This is my advice, as someone who has some interest in doing some largers mountains and is already partly along my journey (I have done 5 CO 14ers, Hood, Rainier, Grand Teton, Shasta, Kilimanjaro and dozens of peaks in the Northeast, including Mt. Washington in the winter). Get hooked up with some climbers or a club, or take a good 5-7 day mountaineering course then do some 14ers in Colorado or California and a few easier Cascade volcanoes (Hood, Shasta) and then think about your goal some more. After that I think you would realistically want to do Rainier (something harder than the DC route), some South American Volcanoes, a few peaks in Andes over 20,000 feet (probably Aconcongua to get some higher altitude). Then Denali and then you would be in a position where you would really be ready to think about Everest and understand what it is about.

Compared to the danger and cost of Everest you can have an entire lifetime of incredible climbing. That seems like a way better idea to me. Of course Everest is very sexy and tall, so it may still keep calling you.
Last edited by: tri_yoda: Dec 7, 09 18:20
Quote Reply

Prev Next