Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Moving to The Woodlands, TX
Quote | Reply
Moving there for job reasons. I’ll be renting for 6 months to make sure business is moving and until kids are out of school.

If anyone is familiar with the area, I would appreciate any input on where to swim, where people ride, any good trails for long runs and long rides, which public school is good for a 4th and 5th grader.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to The Woodlands, TX [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For swimming, there are a few options. Theres Magnolia Masters nearby, Villa Sport, YMCA, and 24 hr fitness, and I feel like I'm forgetting something else.

For riding, theres the old ironman course north of the woodlands that many people ride. Theres several shop rides around (or at least used to be) as well, but I feel like there are way too many people on those rides. Good way to get a feel for the area though. Traffic can get heavy on the way out there, so it's good to learn the best routes with those groups.

For running, there are endless multi use paths. You can strap on a watch and run for hours. Usually parks with water fountains every few miles as well, so very little planning needed.

As far as schools, we are in the same boat. Moved here 4 years ago and aren't in the best school district so looking to move before our son starts school. My wife knows more than I do, but I believe Buckalew and Galatas were the better elementary schools.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to The Woodlands, TX [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That Natatorium looks great for swimming. But what in the world is up with the hours? 9-1pm? Saturday’s closed?
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to The Woodlands, TX [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ll give be you more info on your other questions later today after my ride but the Nat primarily serves the high school, club and masters swim teams. The building is “open” from about 5am to about 8pm during the week and probably 7a to 1pm on Saturday and in constant use. However, the only “open” swim times are limited to the mornings and early afternoon when there are spare lanes.

FWIW - the masters team has early morning, lunch and evening practice just about everyday each week. It’s a good team. I swam with them for years but now I’m proudly swim-free since October 2014.
Quote Reply